JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

'learning' keys on 8910

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leesweet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 2:37 pm    Post subject: 'learning' keys on 8910 Reply with quote

I saw Rob make a reference to the fact that 'any (almost) key' on an 8910 could be 'learned', and not just L1-L4. I've tried that and get 'invalid' sometimes... did this mean that you need JP1 or just that it worked as an OOB feature? If it's OOB, what am I doing wrong?

(One of the main problems I'm finding with all of this is separating the undoc'd UEI features from the ones that need JP1. Smile )
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you ran into the (almost). Some keys won't accept learned signals. Many keys will.

If you tell us which keys are giving you trouble, we can tell you if you did something wrong or if the key just won't allow it.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
leesweet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought that might be it.... Okay, one quick example. Under VCR/0616 (for Replays), I try to have the Comm Skip learn something, and all it says is 'Invalid'. Does this need a change in the device file (or, easier, I expect, program it in JP1 to be what you want, and not a learning key)?

Thanks!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The COMM SKIP button on the 8910 is not a normal button, so I'm not surprised that you can't learn to it. I don't recall what this button is meant to do.

Rob
leesweet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does the stupid thing of changing inputs or channels to a 'favorite' and then tells you when x seconds have elapsed so you can go back to the 'real' show. I thought it was just another software key, guess not. Looking at the JP1 Beginners' doc, it seems to say that you can only learn the buttons that are used by that device.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not too familiar with the 8910 extender (David V. can maybe comment on this) but I would imagine that it would allow you to use the COMM SKIP button as a regular button.

If you're somewhat adventurous in the hardware mod arena, you would always try re-wiring the button to use a phantom keycode, then you would be free to re-program it using either learning or a keymove. There are photos in the Yahoo Photo section showing how you can re-wire the 15-1994's FAV/SCAN button, which show the general principal which could be applied here.

You lost me a bit with the last statement, so I'll try and elaborate what the situation is with learning.

The reason we always try to say "almost" when we talk about the ability to learn to almost all of the buttons is because there are always a few buttons that qualify as special buttons and cannot be re-programmed in the normal ways (eg, with learning).

The device buttons are the prime example, but right after them are buttons like FAV/SCAN and SLEEP on remotes like the 15-1994, the LIGHT button and the SETUP button are other examples of buttons that can never be re-programmed (without an extender, at least).

On some of the newer remotes, the POWER button also has restrictions on it.

The COMM SKIP button on the 8910 is obviously another example.

Once you eliminate the special buttons, you are free to program every other button in all device modes, regardless of whether that device mode usually includes that button. For example, the three PIP buttons are typically only included in the TV keymap. So, if you are programming the CD mode, you might elect to use learning to program them instead.

Lee, once you get more used to JP1 you will quickly find that you have very little use for learning anyway, except for decoding the signals of a new device. I think you'll quickly learn that in most of the occassions that you might have used learning before discovering JP1, you will want to just build a new upgrade now, or use a keymove.

The one time a JP1-er might still use learning is when they are not using an extender, it's a good way to free up memory in the keymove/macro section.

Rob
vasqued2
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not too familiar with the 8910 extender (David V. can maybe comment on this) but I would imagine that it would allow you to use the COMM SKIP button as a regular button.

You're right Rob. The extender let's you program the COMM SKIP as a regular key. Like you said though, you need to convert your learned signals to a device upgrade to use the extender.

David
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: