JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

a few questions from a newbee

View previous topic :: View next topic  
netbuster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 4:36 am    Post subject: a few questions from a newbee Reply with quote

Hi! could anyone help me out with these questions:

After converting a .ccf files into .txt, how do I make it into a device and protocol upgrade code to be able to upload it via IR.exe?

I am using 0054 for my Philips TV (32PW6315/01) and can't get any button for 4:3/16:9/Widescreen or a button to move picture up and down. My remote is a RS 15-2133 bought in the US and I guess that's why the learning feature wont work in Europe? So how do I find the advanced code for these two features or is there a better code to use than the 0054?

Finally, this one might have fitted better in the Code request section, but since I am posting these other questions here anyway....
I have a Marantz SR4200 surround rec. and tried to use the code available for SR7200 (in .txt, couldn't understand the .xls one). I can't get a button for DSS/Cable or DVD program source, have Tape, Cd-R, CD etc. but the ones I really need isn't available, code used is 1189.

All the best
Stefan
usblipitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several device upgrades for Philips TVs. The closest to yours I thought would be the Philips 32PW6324. I opened this file in KM and did not see a key for either of the two functions you want, so I then checked the other Philips upgrades and kudos to "hansdegit" who created Philips TV 1556. This has a key for "picture size" which is EFC 234. To use this you might try pressing the setup button then 2-3-4 and see if this changes the picture size on your TV. I did not see a key for moving the picture.

To see all the keys in this or any upgrade, download KM. KM is an excel spreadsheet, so you will also need microsoft excel. (If you do not have microsoft excel, you could use RM instead of KM.) The ".xls" you mention in your basenote means the file is an excel spreadsheet. The KM device upgrades however are .txt files and are loaded into KM.xls using the load button from within KM.

I am just a newbie, so I too await a post from an expert for their opinion as to why you could not learn the codes you needed from the original remote using your kameleon learning remote. I have not read anything so far to indicate that european remotes are unlearnable with US learning remotes.

Have you given any thought to buying a kameleon JP1 package (JP1 cable, pogo pins, battery clip - runs about $45 - available from vendors - see market place on this board) and then downloading IR/KM, and then program your remote from your PC ? I started doing this JP1 stuff about 2 weeks ago and it is really nice to be able to program my remote from my PC. Praises to the nice folks in the JP1 community for writing these programs and maintaining their library of excellent files!
JP1Files
netbuster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

and thanks for the quick reply. I'll start off with your last question - Yes I too have bought a JP1 cable to be able to add a Nokia digital box to my remote and that went well.
Secondly, the Marantz.xls I've found were not any problem opening it in Excel, however, I do not understand how to get it in the correct format (.txt) in KM (which I also have) so I can upload it through IR.exe.
In my directory of downloaded files I also found the Philips TV 1556 you mentioned so I will try that one.

And I totally agree with your praises of the JP1 community - they are very helpfull.
Once again, Thanks
Stefan
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Rob's advance code list for TV_0054, the efc for picture up is 046, picture down is 078.

The learning logic in all ueic remotes is the same, so the reason your 2133 didn't learn your oem's signal wasn't because the oem is a european based remote. In *most* cases, failure to learn is a result of batteries in one or both remotes, being too far, too close, or some other slight "user error". Wait till the 2133 gets into "learning mode", then press and hold the teaching button untill the 2133 indicates it's "succeeded" in learning the signal. 0054 is a RC-5 protocol signal.
Signals with a "toggle bit" typically only work one time, because the next signal the device looks for is "the other toggled bit" and the one learned is just one of those. Press another key first , then retry that learned signal key before ruling out that it didn't learn it. Did both the remote indicate a successful learn, and does IR report anything about that learned signal?

Typical ccf2efc conversions will indicate protocol, device(s), OBC and efc's. They usually show in the format: "Nec1:154:002 efc 234 (all made up) Nec 1 is the protocol, the "154" is the "device code", "002" the OBC, and of course, 234 is the efc. That's the data you need to enter in either KM or RM to make your upgrade. KM or RM will indicate whether a protocol upgrade is required for your remote, provided you listed it in the "remote" section on the first sheet. KM lists both the device upgrade and protocol upgrade (if needed) on the first sheet, whereas RM lists these on the LAST sheet. KM requires Excel with macros enabled and "tools" loaded to work. Read the readme. RM, requires Java, and a link is provided to get that (free). Also read the readme provided with the "package".

Jim
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.txt files usually aren't directly loadable in IR. Open KM, then click the "load" button, and navigate to that .txt file you downloaded. Then change the remote (if neccessary) to your model (2133). Then go to the button's sheet and make sure the button assignments are to your liking. The part you'll then load in IR>device>add is in the "upgrade" block on the setup sheet of KM. use the copy button, then paste that in IR. IF a protocol upgrade is required, copy and paste that in IR>protocol>add.
.txt files are for you to save or exchange with others. It reduces a "huge" .xls file to a 2-9K file and saves drive space. Once you have converted someone elses' file for your remote model and liking, you'd want to save THAT as your .txt file. A saved .xls would be about 80-90K worth of data, instead of the 2-9K in .txt format.
Jim
netbuster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all that info, have allready printed it out so that a can read it at home, more concentrated than right now at work. In your last reply you touched .txt / .xls files and that is the biggest question I have.
At Remotecentral I found all the codes I could ever imagine - all the ones I needed anyway. I sent them to ccf2efc and that worked allright but here comes my problem. What do I do with the .txt file of the .ccf one - do I load it into KM (tried that without success) or do I need to take the .txt code button by button?
Regards
Stefan
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should use the DecodeCCF program rather than the CCF2EFC program.

They both produce txt output in which signals are decoded as Protocol, Device, SubDevice and command. But DecodeCCF is better in many ways, including it is easier to find the Protocol, Device,SubDevice and command for each function among all the other *stuff* in its output than it is with CCF2EFC.

We don't have any programs to read the txt output of either CCF2EFC or DecodeCCF. Sorry, you do need to read it yourself with a text editor (actually Excel is better than a text editor for reading DecodeCCF output). You need to find the commands you care about and figure out which command is which (from the often confusing button names in CCF files).

Button by button, you must get the OBC number from that txt output and type it into KM or RM. Hopefully, the protocol, device and subdevice will match across large groups of the buttons you want, so you only look at those for each button in the txt file, you don't need to copy them into KM more than once.
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KM will generate a saved .txt file, IR will generate a .txt file, and ccf2efc will generate a .txt file. However, none of the three will directly load/work in the other's programs. (A saved email may be saved as a .txt file but be meaningless to our three JP-1 programs).

Assuming the protocol and device number(s) are common across all the buttons, that's the data you would enter on the left side of the KM setup sheet, as well as your remote model, device type, setup code, etc. On the functions tab, you'd list the functions (use intuitive names), and you can elect on the setup tab whether the upgrade you're making is either efc or obc "style". Pick one or the other, and be consistent throughout. Then on the "button's" tab, actually assign those functions (by names you entered on functions) to actual buttons by selecting from the "drop-down" for each button. Printing the resultant ccf2efc .txt file may help in listing the functions and efc/obc. So, in effect it is button by button, but you only have to concern yourself with just the function and the efc or obc value in transposing to KM, since the protocol and device number(s) would be a one time entry. Combo codes are a little more involved, but I don't know if that applies in this case since I haven't seen the ccf2efc decode. If so, let us know that, for the present I've assumed that that's not the case.
Jim
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two commands you want for your Marantz are in database format, [Protocol:device.sub-device:command] and (2 byte hex for key moves in AUDIO_1169)

5001 0000 0000 0002 0010 0000 000a 0000 dvd [RC5x:16.0:10] (FF 51)

5000 0000 0000 0001 0006 003f DSS [RC5:6:63] (19 00)

Simply use key moves in IR, select hex and Audio_1189 and paste the two bytes in parenthesis complete with space. The rest is FYI.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: