JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

questions about macros limitations, and learning vs. non

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrjkwik

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:48 pm    Post subject: questions about macros limitations, and learning vs. non Reply with quote

2 main questions here.

i've noticed on several of the remotes, they only have 3-4 macros keys. with the custom mapping/programming, can additional macros be added, or are you limited to what the remote originally came with.

second, i picked up a remote from walmart that i thought was a learning and it wasnt, so i returned it. looking on their website it looks like it is supposed to be, so i may have made a mistake, not sure. i thought it was the 8810 and the learning was 8811. something like that, but it was a few months ago. but my question is, do i really need the learning. my worry is i have some off brand stuff, and generally dont have codes for it. i've tried a few, no luck. and tried a few other brands with learning, but they seem to be slower than the origninal remote. should i definately spend the xtra few bucks for the learning remote, or does it really not matter?

thanks alot.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: questions about macros limitations, and learning vs. non Reply with quote

mrjkwik wrote:

i've noticed on several of the remotes, they only have 3-4 macros keys. with the custom mapping/programming, can additional macros be added, or are you limited to what the remote originally came with.

On almost all models almost any keys can be programmed as macros.

There are a few keys that can't be programmed as macros without a JP1 cable but can be macros when programmed with a JP1 cable. But most keys can be programmed as macros directly on the remote following the instructions for programming a macro key and just substituting another key.

Macros and KeyMoves share the same very limited section of eeprom memory in the remote. So you can't massively customize the remote with Macros. But you can do more than a typical user would need to.

mrjkwik wrote:

second, i picked up a remote from walmart that i thought was a learning and it wasnt, so i returned it. looking on their website it looks like it is supposed to be, so i may have made a mistake, not sure. i thought it was the 8810 and the learning was 8811. something like that, but it was a few months ago. but my question is, do i really need the learning. my worry is i have some off brand stuff, and generally dont have codes for it. i've tried a few, no luck. and tried a few other brands with learning, but they seem to be slower than the origninal remote.

The 8810w is the Walmart model name for the 8811. It does have learning.

Learning is a valuable feature. How much you really need it depends on the specific list of equipment you have. For an ordinary user, with ordinary equipment, learning often gives you the ability to include a few advanced functions from the original remote in a simple way without outside resources, that otherwise would need research over the net and might need a JP1 cable. For an advanced user, who is using a JP1 cable anyway, learning gives the ability to decode obscure original remotes and add support for them to the JP1 remote even if they can't find any information over the net.
mrjkwik

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like i should pick up that walmart remote again and give it a try.

yeah, i was just wondering about the macros. the one for all remotes i was looking at only had 3, and i wanted the option for more. so i can have MORE than what the actual remote says? thats good too know.

i tried this jp1 stuff with my cable remote, but i must not have done a very good job with making the wire myself. it didnt seem to work using the tutorial. looks like i might have to buy one.

thanks for the help. if anyone else can/wants to weigh in here, please do.

EDIT: the equipment that i will be using is an RCA 52w17 tv, motorola DCT 6208 hdtv dvr/cable box, and Koss Home theater/dvd player KS3102.

the core problems come from the KS3102. learned commands seem slow on reaction time from other remotes.

also, is there a way to not cycle through input selections. ex: tv has vid 1, vid 2, comp 1, comp 2, frnt, and dvi. instead of cycling through to get to a particlular input, can you just input a code to go straight to that input?

again, thank you.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrjkwik wrote:

also, is there a way to not cycle through input selections. ex: tv has vid 1, vid 2, comp 1, comp 2, frnt, and dvi. instead of cycling through to get to a particlular input, can you just input a code to go straight to that input?

Although not clear whether you are using the TV or the HT for your input selection, have you tried [url=http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/3.%20Device%20Codes/TV/RCA-TV's_All_commands-KM.txt]THIS[/url] upgrade for the RCA HDTV discretes? It seems to have a few listed.

I don't see one in the files for a Koss HT with a large supply of discretes, but THIS ONE might give you a starting point from which to search for additional discretes.
mrjkwik

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont have the remote and cable yet. i wanted to get all my ducks in a row before making a purchase. but i will try them as soon as i get them. but thanks for the info guys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: