JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

URC-7544 and Magnavox MTV-68

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
axelr8

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:33 am    Post subject: URC-7544 and Magnavox MTV-68 Reply with quote

Hello,

I have a Oneforall remote (7544) which doesn't have the right code for my (Magnavox MTV-68) TV.

I called the Oneforall support number and was told that to get my remote to work with my TV I would have to send it in to them so that they could upgrade it with the right code for my TV.

How would I go about getting this upgrade and putting it on to my remote myself.

Any help you guys can give me would be great!

[Ps: I don't know if it makes a difference but I am in Australia]
usblipitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to the JP1 forum.

in order to do this yourself, you will need to buy a JP1 cable to connect your computer to your OFA remote. there are several vendors listed in the market place portion of this board, and the simple cable runs about $15 (the ultra cable runs about $30). You can also build this cable yourself if you have a soldering iron and a place to buy resisters, diodes, and connectors from (do you have radio shack in australia mate?), or you can buy a kit from the aforementioned vendors that you can then solder together youself. The instructions to build your own cable are here and here.

After you have ordered the JP1 cable, while awaiting it to arrive, you might wish to read the beginner's guide to JP1, and you might wish to download IR.exe and KM.xls. Note that for KM.xls to work you will need microsoft excel. if you do not have microsoft excel you should instead download the java-equivalent of KM, which is called RM.

One small snag is that I did not see any magnavox device codes listed in the TV device codes. Normally this is not a huge setback if you have a learning remote control; you just learn the codes you want from the original magnavox remote control. Then, using this information, you create your own device upgrade (very easy to do using KM.xls, praises to the authors who wrote it and IR!). However, the URC-7544 is not a learning remote. Here in the states, there is a nice learning remote control, the URC-8810w, at wal-mart for under $20. Many people have such learning remote controls laying about just so they can learn codes to program their other (non-learning) remotes. For example, you can buy an MX-500 packaged with an 8811 at some aforementioned vendors and the reason this package exists is so you can learn codes with the 8811.

Although before you try JP1 it all sounds very complex and there is a great temptation to send your remote back to OFA to have the upgrade programmed into it, there are a great many advantages to JP1 and doing it yourself. You will wind up with a remote that has buttons where you want them, and if ever your remote gets reset or lost or you buy a second remote and wish to program it, you merely download the IR file you made from your computer into the remote. Lastly, using more advanced JP1 techniques (combiners, extenders), you can get the remote to do some amazing things that it was never intended to do!

First things first, get cracking on buying or building that JP1 cable!

Good Luck!
JP1Files
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: URC-7544 and Magnavox MTV-68 Reply with quote

axelr8 wrote:

I have a Oneforall remote (7544) which doesn't have the right code for my (Magnavox MTV-68) TV.

I called the Oneforall support number and was told that to get my remote to work with my TV I would have to send it in to them so that they could upgrade it with the right code for my TV.

Did they happen to mention which setup code they intended to add?

I looked in a few sources for data on Magnavox TV's. I didn't find your model, but everything I did find showed that Magnovox TV's use a very common code set, the one used by Philips TV's.

I don't have the list of the 7544's setup codes handy. I assume it includes TV/0037. Have you tried that setup code? Some of the buttons, maybe even the power button, might not match even if it's the right basic code, but at least the digit keys would work if it's right. If the digit keys work and some other keys don't, it should be easy to track down the missing functions. If the TV/0037 digit keys don't work, I'm not sure where to look next.
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have/had at least 3 or 4 Magnavox TV's. All of them used TV_0054. Admittedly they were all pretty cheap models, so I don't know if this setup code will work for your specific model, nor if this is in the 7544, nor the one that OFA recommended. It is a pretty basic setup code for US marketed OFA remotes. IF this is the one you need, it would be pretty simple for someone (even you) to build and install this with KM or RM and install in your remote with IR and a cable. I haven't looked at the details of TV_0037 to know how similar/dis-similar it is with TV_0054, But I can tell you that TV_0054 uses RC-5 protocol, devices 0 and 3. Rob's site has the advance code list for this setup code.

Jim
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a JP1 delegate in Australia now, his name is Darren King, he's the guy who maintains the http://www.nerd-out.com/darrenk web site dedicated to hackable DVD players.

He has some URC-8811 learning remotes for sale, so that's one way to go. Or, he might be willing to let you send him your remote so he can capture the signals, which would give us the info we need to build an upgrade for it.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamesgammel wrote:
I have/had at least 3 or 4 Magnavox TV's. All of them used TV_0054.

TV/0054 has identical digits and power function and several other functions as TV/0037. As I said earlier, if the digits in TV/0037 are right, we have plenty of data on that family of similar code sets, so it should be easy to find any functions that are missing or wrong in TV/0037. It may be possible to patch TV/0037 with just a few KeyMoves without even using a JP1 cable.
axelr8

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again!

Thanks heaps for all of your replies, they have been very informative.

I have purchased all of the materials from an electronics store and am converting a spare parellel port connecter, which incidently already has the ribbon and 10pin connector attatched, to a the Jp1 cable using the simple design. I'll have a play with that later on.

I have tried the tv/0037 code with no luck, none of the buttons (not even the digit buttons) produce any result for my TV.

However, the tv/0054 code sparked my interest as it looks like this code is not already in my remote. When I tried to enter it I got 1 long blink instead of the 2 quick flashes as per normal. Perhaps this was the one that the OFA guy would be putting into my remote if I sent it to them.
Before I try anything else I might have a go at adding this code to my remote and see if it produces any results.

If that doesn't work then maybe I will regret not spending a few extra $$$'s and buying a learning remote Wink

Thanks again for everyone's help.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't looked it up, but judging from John's earlier posts, I think the TV/0037 and TV/0054 are essentially the same code, with just a few minor differences, so if you can't get any buttons to work using TV/0037, I doubt that TV/0054 will do much for you.

Why don't you drop Darren a line and see if he'd be prepared to capture the signals from your TV remote for you using one of his URC-8811 remotes, or better yet, buy one from him! Smile

Last edited by The Robman on Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TV/0037, TV/0054, and all the Magnavox TV's Jim and I have seen use RC5 protocol device 0, at least for digits, power and other basic functions. That is the most common TV code set within the RC family of protocols.

If that doesn't work, it's still a good bet that Magnavox stayed in the RC family of code sets and stuck with a standard one, so the next best bet (unless you can get OFA to tell you what setup code they think is right) is to find a common TV code within the RC family of protocols (RC5, RC6, RC5x) that is not based on RC5 device 0. I have plenty of CCF files to scan for that answer, but don't have time at the moment.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did an automated search of CCF files. TV's that use the RC family of protocols but don't use the digits and power commands of TV/0037 mostly match TV/0690 (There are a few CCF's for TV's that use TV/0037 for basic functions and TV/0690 for advanced, but there are also CCF's for TV's that use TV/0690 for basic functions).

I'm still not really clear on which 754X is which, so I assume it doesn't have TV/0690, but I'm not sure it doesn't.

Assuming it doesn't have it, we can get you a file to add TV/0690 via JP1 cable to try it.
axelr8

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:18 pm    Post subject: no tv/0690 Reply with quote

Just tried the TV/0690 and it's not in my remote...

Where would I get the file you mentioned? Is it in the yahoo! groups file section?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: