JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RS 15-2117 -- RF Problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sofakng

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: RS 15-2117 -- RF Problems Reply with quote

Well, I'm pretty sure I've discovered the source of my many problems: The RF unit that comes with the RS 15-2117.

Here's a background on what my problem is (was?): My couch is around 10 or so feet from my television and audio receiver... The RF unit (that came with the remote) sits around 8 feet from the TV/receiver. Now the actual problem was whenever I'd press a button on the remote, the device it was trying to control often wouldn't respond. This was more apparant when I held down a button like "Vol+" because the device it was trying to control would sometimes respond, then keep stoppping as it increased the volume (for example).

When I unplug the RF unit, the remote works GREAT. The volume increases very smoothly, the arrows on my DVD player move smoothly, etc.

The problem is that I kind of need to use the RF unit with the remote. The reason is because I change channels on my cable box from my bed and the cable box is located almost in the next room.

So, what could be causing the RF unit to have problems like this? As I mentioned above, the unit is about 8 feet from my components and there is nothing at all inbetween it and the components...

Anybody have any ideas for me?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that when you are in the same room as the RF box and you use the remote, both the remote and the RF box are sending IR signals to the device at the same time, and the signals interfere with each other.

Therefore, when you are in the same room as the RF box, simply turn it around so that it's signals don't reach your devices.

Alternatively, get a 15-2116 to use in the main room and then just use your 15-2117 from your bed room.
sofakng

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply...

Are you sure thats the problem? I'm only curious because when I was on my bed with the remote facing *away* from my components, I still had problems... (meaning the remote was only using RF)...

Something weird about my TV room is that the remote will work even if it's facing BACKWARDS from my TV. There must be a lot of things that reflect the IR signal down here, but I can't imagine what they could be...
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IR will bounce off walls and ceilings and many other surfaces.

You could try blocking the IR emitter completely with your hand or some electrical tape and see if that improves your reliability.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: