JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Use Radioshack 15-2117 as X10 Timer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> X10 and Home Automation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rts

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:47 am    Post subject: Use Radioshack 15-2117 as X10 Timer Reply with quote

I saw that X10 sells a timer (Mini Timer (MT10A)) which can switch the lights on and off at a particular time. I have the Radioshack 15-2117 remote and I was wondering if I can program it to switch the lamp modules on/off at a particular time?

Thus, I can use it as a timer, and will not have to get the MT10A. Of course I'll need to buy an IR543 console.

Thanks!![/url]
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 15-2117 doesn't have a timer (even though it does have a clock). If you want to avoid buying the MT10A you could get one of the older "Producer 8" remotes (eg, URC-9800, etc) as these remotes do have a timer for timed macros.
rts

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for your answer Rob ... Now I guess I'm face with a dilemma ... the URC-9800 is more expesive than the timer itself .. I this case maybe I should go with the timer. Any suggestions on other alternatives?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much does the MT10A go for? If the prices are similar then it probably is a good idea to get one of them instead, especially as it will control your X10 devices thru the power line so you won't need to leave the remote permanently pointing at the IR543 (which would also cost you $20).

However, if you do decide to go with a Producer 8, I have several models available that I could sell you. The cheapest would be the older style URC-8080 which you could have for $20.
rts

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Rob,

Well, as of now, I'm leaning towards MT10A ($25 shipped) since as you pointed out it will be quite handy in controlling so many X10 devices, besides I won't need to leave the remote permanently pointing at the IR543. Also it has an alarm clock .. which is handy as well.... The purpose of the raioshack remote is to get rid of my oter remotes .. hence buying a Producer 8 might be going in the other dorection.

By the way, where can I get IR543 for $20. Does it also include shipping? X10 sells it for around 28 bucks shipped ...
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get it from homeautomationnet.com for $20, but I highly doubt that it includes shipping.

I have an old Radio Shack version of the MT10A which I probably picked up on ebay at some point that I use to turn my outside lights on at a certain time. It's tricky to program but it works well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> X10 and Home Automation All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: