JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best 15-1994 extender?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cpurick

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:19 pm    Post subject: Best 15-1994 extender? Reply with quote

With a new MX-500 serving as my main remote, I'd like to do some experimenting with my ole faithful '1994.

The only UEI device code I used on that remote was my Echostar satellite (0775). I've since found discretes for that unit, and looking at them in prontohex, I honestly don't think they're part of the same command set. They may be a completely different protocol.

Now I'm using a Dish PVR, which adds new keys that I'm sure are not in the 1994's library.

What's changed, as far as multi-protocol support is concerned in IR and KM? (My Pan. VCR uses at least two different protocols too -- anything that can be done to put more commands on a single upgrade code reduces the mem needed to map keys.)

Plus, I've been thinking about extenders. I like the idea of long/double press support, using device keys, or maybe even being able to control the device keys from a macro.

I'm very comfortable with JP1, and I could do without the learning memory if JP1 can handle the (apparently) new Dish protocol in these discretes.

My three main devices TV/Sound/Sat all either have power or input discretes, so I could use some nice macros.

Wouldn't be bad if a long keypress on a device key sent a power toggle.

What are my options for this old remote? (And knowing how long it's been discontinued now, I know there are no new extenders coming; I just wonder what I should be looking at in the ones that are available.)

Rob, if you've rigged up anything with a lot of RAM that can do neat tricks above and beyond this 1994, I wouldn't be opposed to buying it. Sadly, I like the RS packaging better than OFA, which is a shame because OFA seems to offer the most buttons these days.
mtakahar
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Best 15-1994 extender? Reply with quote

cpurick wrote:
Plus, I've been thinking about extenders. I like the idea of long/double press support, using device keys, or maybe even being able to control the device keys from a macro.

If you want the long/double key press special protocol on 15-1994, the extender 5 would be the only choice.

Hal
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rick,
Somehow I missed ths post originally. The 15-1994 doesn't have the ability to use larger EEPROM chips, so you're stuck with the one that it comes with.

Your Panasonic VCR uses multiple device codes, not protocols, so that one's easily handled, and has been addressed since in another thread.

If you have Pronto Hex for commands that are not included in any of the current Echostar upgrade files, please post them here. To decode them yourself you could try using the IRTool utility, or if you have programmed them to your MX-500 you could use that remote to teach them to your 15-1994 and see how IR.exe handles them.

As for the 15-1994 being discontinued, this is true, but I don't see how that would stop people from writing new extenders if there was a need for new ones, but if the current extenders already cover all the bases, there probably isn't a need.

The 15-1994 is still probably the most popular remote out there in this part of the world (ie, the JP1 part!)
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the EFC's for a 1994 for the only discrete commands that I know of. They do work with SAT_0775 but not all dish units respond to them:

242 Address 1 ON
174 Address 1 OFF
002 Address 2 ON
190 Address 2 OFF
234 Address 3 ON
166 Address 3 OFF
250 Address 4 ON
182 Address 4 OFF
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: