JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

BoseWave Macro help needed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tbone03045

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm making slow progress on this one.... I added the do-nothing 'Game' command before and after all instances of all Advent TV power commands in all of my macros and LKP keymoves, and it has definitely helped in masking the effects of the toggle bit messing with my macros. Also had a reoccurance of the lack of response to the sequence dev_tv;0;3 which I remedied by changing it to dev_tv;shift-0;shift-3, which is odd since I have nothing out of the ordinary mapped to those keys. But it works now.

Still needs more work to get the Bose macros back to a reasonably reliable configuration, but I'm getting there. It just seems like this is a pretty hokey way to get there - and if there were any way to get rid of or disable that toggle bit stuff, it would make everything a lot easier! Programming my 3-device Pioneer codes way back when was a walk in the park compared to this!

Thx,
Tbone
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:

It's so much easier to just open the file in IR.exe, poke around a little and spot something wrong.

I guess I was wrong this time.

I don't see any way that the Audio device would depend on the state of the toggle bit nor in any other way care whether an extra command was sent to the VCR during the selection macro.

All protocols share the same toggle bit whether they use it or not, so any key from any other device can mess up the toggle state for a device such as your Philips VCR, which does depend on the toggle state. But that doesn't fit what I think you described as the symptoms. There is no reason commands that don't use the toggle bit should be affected by the ones that do.
Tbone03045

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, John - I was afraid that would be the answer... But there has to be something going on there, as the effect of adding those 'extra' commands is quite pronounced on the response of the Bose.

johnsfine wrote:

All protocols share the same toggle bit...

A couple of questions regarding this - Looking at the Protocol Builder spreadsheet - you can select the location of the toggle bit anywhere from 0 - 8, why is this? Also, is the toggle bit one of the bits contained in the device bytes or command bytes, or is it a signal that happens 'behind the scenes', and is not easily examined? Guess what I'm asking is, where exactly in the IR signal is the toggle bit located? Are there any good references written up on the structure of the IR signals so I don't have to keep asking so many uninformed questions???

Thx,
Tbone
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbone03045 wrote:
A couple of questions regarding this - Looking at the Protocol Builder spreadsheet - you can select the location of the toggle bit anywhere from 0 - 8, why is this?

Toggle bits can occur anywhere in the data bits
Quote:
Also, is the toggle bit one of the bits contained in the device bytes or command bytes, or is it a signal that happens 'behind the scenes', and is not easily examined?

If you look at the raw signal you can see the bits alternate. The decoder knows that it is a toggle bit and ignores that bit although you usually see a T=0 or 1 depending what is there.
Quote:
Guess what I'm asking is, where exactly in the IR signal is the toggle bit located?

That really depends on the IR protocol. In RC5 it's the third bit, but keep in mind RC5 uses bi-phase modulation so they are a little difficult to decode at first. In RC5 (+ means carrier On and - means carrier Off):

+889 uSec, -889 uSec is a Zero
-889 uSec, +889 uSec is a One

The first data bit is always a One so you will only see the first half bit

Quote:
Are there any good references written up on the structure of the IR signals so I don't have to keep asking so many uninformed questions???

This is the most often cited document by Barry Gordon. It is a description of how Pronto's are encoded but the beginning describes IR commands in general. But I think the regulars here in the JP1 forums are some of the leading experts on the subject, since OFA remotes can't depend on learning because of limited memory. By necessity (and curiosity) we have come to understand how most of the protocols work.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbone03045 wrote:
johnsfine wrote:

All protocols share the same toggle bit...

A couple of questions regarding this - Looking at the Protocol Builder spreadsheet - you can select the location of the toggle bit anywhere from 0 - 8, why is this? Also, is the toggle bit one of the bits contained in the device bytes or command bytes, or is it a signal that happens 'behind the scenes', and is not easily examined? Guess what I'm asking is, where exactly in the IR signal is the toggle bit located? Are there any good references written up on the structure of the IR signals so I don't have to keep asking so many uninformed questions???

I think I see what you're asking and I also see somewhere where you might be confused.

The "0 - 8" thing in PB is asking you where in the generated signal you want the toggle bit to occur. Remember that what each "executor" generates is an infrared signal and that signal is made up of bits. Typically when we reverse engineer a signal we determine that a certain number of bits are fixed for all signals for the device in question, these bits we will call the device code (and possibly the sub-device code). Then we'll notice that a certain number of bits (usually no more than 8) vary based on which button is pressed, these we call the command code (aka "OBC" or "EFC"). Sometimes we will notice that one of the bits changes value each time the same button is pressed, this is a toggle bit. So the PB question was asking which bit in the signal needs to toggle.

So, where does the data for this toggle bit come from? The firmware in UEI S3C8 remotes maintains a register called R00 which increments each time a button is pressed, so what they do is capture the LSB (least significant bit) of that register, as this bit will obviously toggle for each button press, and they move this bit into the bit in the IR data stream that needs to toggle.

What appears to be the issue here is that all executors use this same R00 register, so if you have four buttons in a macro where all of them have a toggle bit, this is what it would look like...

button 1 (toggle on)
button 2 (toggle off)
button 3 (toggle on)
button 4 (toggle off)

Now, let's suppose that button 4 is for your Bose and the Bose requires that the toggle be on, in this macro it wouldn't work. Now let's change the macro...

button 1 (toggle on)
button 2 (toggle off)
button 3 (toggle on)
additional meaningless button (toggle off)
button 4 (toggle on)

This time the macro WILL work because the toggle is in the correct state. Even if the additional meaningless button uses a protocol that doesn't use a toggle bit, the R00 counter is still going to be incremented, so the toggle bit in the "button 4" signal is still going to be altered.

Keeping all that in mind, you might be able to re-arrange your macros so that the toggle will always be in the correct state for your Bose functions.
Tbone03045

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for the replies, guys. Lots of good info here to be digested. I will definitely be checking out the Barry Gordon document to see what I can learn from that.

Not to continue being a pain here, but I have one more question - how difficult would it be to add a command or series of commands to the bose protocol to simply load a 1 or 0 (whichever one we figure out via experimentation is what the bose wants to see) into this R00 register for every bose command, so that it would always be in the correct state? Seems to me that it could easily be done, but the last real programming course I took was back in the 80's or so, so what do I know....

Thanks again,
Tbone
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't know for certain that it wants the toggle to always be in a certain state. The main purpose of toggle bits is to differentiate between when a button is held down, versus when a button is being repeatedly pressed. For example, if you were to hold down a certain button, the toggle bit would remain in the same sate for all the repetitions. But, if you were to keep pressing the same button over and over, the toggle would keep toggling.

It seems that the Bose requires the toggle to be on (or off) for the first press of every button.

Have you tried learning the same button multiple times to see how the toggle changes. Make sure that you press some other Bose button first, then start learning the button in question. This is to make sure that the first learn you do of the button is the first time the button is pressed, this will tell us whether the first state is actually ON or OFF.
Tbone03045

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Have you tried learning the same button multiple times to see how the toggle changes.

Well, that's the problem with this whole theory. I have done this more than once and the signal is identical every time, no evidence of anything toggling in the command bits, and no toggle bit mentioned in the misc column. For example, the power button learns as

lead-in
lead-out

all exactly as defined by the protocol builder spreadsheet. Six learns in a row, all identical.

("Off as total" (in PB) is one thing that has been different in the various protocol files Jon suggested earlier in this thread - but it hasn't appeared to make a noticeable difference in signal reliability as either 'yes' or 'no'.)

Thx,
Tbone
Tbone03045

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, the learns in my previous post were from the original bose remote, and then I compared the signals to those described by PB. Sorry for any confusion........

TB
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never saw anything in this thread to make me believe the toggle bit is a factor in the behavior of the Bose. There are many reasons to be convinced that it isn't.

From the posted file, I couldn't make a good guess why the extra VCR command in a macro would affect subsequent Bose commands. My usual guess in such situations is that the symptom report in wrong or misunderstood. A more controlled test would probably give a different result.

This thread has had far too much discussion of the internal processing of the toggle bit, and R00, and posible kludges based on an usupported guess at the underlying issue, and too little systematic investigation of the actual symptom.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:
I never saw anything in this thread to make me believe the toggle bit is a factor in the behavior of the Bose. There are many reasons to be convinced that it isn't.

I guess it pays not to be lead by the hand so much. I revived this thread because of this post...

Tbone03045 wrote:
However, between this RC5 device, and my combo Philips DVD/VCR using RC5/RC6, my macros are just about useless, especially with my Bose wave which obviously nobody believes me is majorly affected by those toggle bits. Back to the drawing board, I guess.... Can't someone figure out how to get rid of those stinking toggle bits?!?!?

Which I think you'll agree seems to indicate quite clearly that the problem at hand is a toggle bit. So, I decided I'd better go back and re-read the earlier posts in this thread. TB says that he got one of Greg's files from the Yahoo file section, but he didn't provide a link and I'll be damned if I can find the file in question. So I downloaded his latest IR file and took a look at the $0123 protocol upgrade, and sure enough, it doesn't use a toggle bit.

TB, all my previous posts here have been based on the assumption that your device was using a toggle bit, but since that's evidently not the case, disregard them.

John, seeing as you obviously knew that a toggle bit wasn't in play, it might have sped things along if rather than just saying that you disagreed with my posts, you had actually mentioned the fact.

johnsfine wrote:
This thread has had far too much discussion of the internal processing of the toggle bit, and R00.

That's only true if you consider one post to be "too much discussion".

TB, I'm gonna leave you in John's hands for this one, I've spent too much time on it already.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't and don't know the answer to this situation.

I didn't (and still don't) see enough information in this thread to comment usefully.

I thought the right answer would be evident from TB's IR file. But once I saw that file it didn't make the right answer evident to me. It did make the wrongness of the wrong answer more evident. I didn't find the relevent file from Greg either, so I didn't have actual access to the protocol any sooner than any other expert reading this thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: