JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

IR.exe learned keys question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leesweet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: IR.exe learned keys question Reply with quote

I'm exploring IR.exe and want to just clean up my 8910 before going further. I've noticed a lot of crap learned in it, and I aassume this is from holding down the keys when 'learning' and not just pressing them once. (The OFA manual does tell you to do it that way... Smile )

I assume if I have the exact same line in the learned section for a key, then I held it down too long? Even doing a quick press on the transmitting remote, I get one 'command' sometimes for some functions, and two for others, but for the two, they are identical and in the same section.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The correct learning method is to hold down the teaching button until the learning remote indicates the learn was successful. This is true of all learning remotes, not just OFA remotes.

If the learn was truely successful (in an economical sense), regardless of how much timing info you see displayed in the lower half of the screen, you should only see one entry showing protocol and device code info.

Rob
http://www.hifi-remote.com
leesweet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, if there are two lines at the top, it should be redone, I assume?
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some protocols do use multiple devices and/or commands. What Protocol, Device, etc, are you seeing on the Learned Signals tab?
leesweet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I've got two that I can't get to one line: Both are Replay TV (Replay protocol) with device=1, and the Keys are Zones (EFC 099), and CA Toggle (EFC 091). Both lines in both these cases are completely identical (to the one on the same page, of course). The raw data appears to be exactly two sequences of the same thing also (AFAICT...).
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leesweet wrote:
Okay, I've got two that I can't get to one line: Both are Replay TV (Replay protocol) with device=1...
Two options come to mind here: 1) use one of the existing Replay upgrades that might contain those commands (or add them to it), or 2) create Key Moves to replace those learned commands.
leesweet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a problem, I intend to take 0616 and copy/modify it anyway. Just curious why the learning was so variable here. Thanks!
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you learn with a very short press you'll likely learn just one copy of the signal, but won't learn whether the signal ought to repeat (so when you press it for a long time you'll still get just one copy).

If you learn with a slightly longer press you'll likely learn more than one copy of the signal and still won't learn whether it repeats, so however long or short you press the resulting key you'll get exactly the number of copies you learned.

If you learn with a long enough press, it ought to learn that the signal repeats. In that case it ought to store only one copy. There are several reasons why it might store two copies anyway.

The signal capture for a long press tends to be very accurate (unless you're doing something wrong or have weak batteries in the sending remote). The analysis that happens on the captured signal is consistent, so if something about that signal confuses the analysis and makes it store two copies, it will probably be confused the same way and store two copies on any relearn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: