JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Phantom keys...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flipper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:22 am    Post subject: Phantom keys... Reply with quote

I think I understand correcty that phantom keys are keys that aren't really there. Is that true? If so, how do you access them? My URC-9960 shows 4 phantom keys in KM, and was just wondering what they are and where they are.
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Phantom keys... Reply with quote

Flipper wrote:
I think I understand correcty that phantom keys are keys that aren't really there. Is that true?
Yes.
Flipper wrote:
If so, how do you access them?
You can "push" a phantom key from within a macro. For example, you could assign a discrete power on command to a phantom key, and then use it as part of a macro that turns your equipment on.
Flipper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha! That is pretty neat!
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding Phantom keys , can I add more by editing the *.rdf file ? I had to edit my 6131 rdf for the 1k UEI upgrade and added a fifth Phantom button. (....Phantom4=$40, Phantom5=$41) IT seems to work when called from a macro. Or did I just get lucky?
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaphod7501 wrote:
Regarding Phantom keys , can I add more by editing the *.rdf file ?
Sometimes.
zaphod7501 wrote:
I had to edit my 6131 rdf for the 1k UEI upgrade and added a fifth Phantom button. (....Phantom4=$40, Phantom5=$41) IT seems to work when called from a macro.
This was apparently one of those times. 8)
zaphod7501 wrote:
Or did I just get lucky?
Yes and no. Technically, any unused key number (up to the maximum the remote supports) might work. Once in a while we run into an unused keycode that has special handling in the remote's firmware. This often happens when the same firmware is used in more than one remote, and some models do not implement the button while others do. The phantom keys listed in the distributed RDF files have generally been tested to work OK by one of the JP1 experts. Any that you add yourself you'll have to test to see if they work.
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply , I also found some info from Feb in the extender section when Nils Ekberg responded to a question about the 6131 extender. http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1355 I'm just starting to think about extenders but will have to prepare a larger order for Mouser and then I'll upgrade my UEI upgrades to 2k eeprom.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: