JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Device combiner with Panasonic combo device
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
6. Now switch over to the Functions sheet. All the functions for your CD and RCVR should be there already, and now you want to add the functions for your TV and HD box. For all the normal 128.0 (ie, TV/0250) functions, put a 3 in the byte2 col. For the special 128.4 functions, put a 4 in byte2. And finally, for all the HD functions, put a 5 in byte2.

The Device Combiner uses 0-based id #'s for the byte2 entries. So, the 3rd entry = "2", 4th = "3", and 5th = "4", etc. Just use the approriate number displayed in the "#" column in the Device Combiner table on the Setup sheet.

Rob, you should know better! Shocked Wink
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark, I just fixed the original post.
RoyGBiv

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

Thanks for the step-by-step instructions. I followed them exactly, and initially couldn't get the TV to be controlled at all. So, I double checked all my steps and found that there was a misprint in your instructions. The Protocol ID for Panasonic is 00 C9 not 00 CA. Once I made this change I was able to get everything working properly.

Thanks again for all of your help. What I need to do now is sit down and decide which buttons I really want to control which device and do what.

BTW, jon_armstrong, it is interesting that we are using different device codes for the DTC-100. I am using the old RCA protocol with device 0566, and I have no problems with it. I believe that there were people having trouble using this device in the past, but it has worked without problems for my two DTC-100 receivers. I used it as my base for my device upgrade for the DTC-100. I also have all the advanced codes for all the discrete functions I need except one. I only have an advanced code to toggle between HD and SD output. Is there an advanced code to go specifically to one or the other? That would be a big help to me in making a macro to make sure when I turn on the TV that the TV gets the input from the DTC-100 automatically. Could you let me know what those discrete output codes are?

THANKS AGAIN!

SMK
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Roy, I just fixed the typo in the original post, in case someone else uses it in the future. I also added the p-id and fixed data for the DTC, I hadn't noticed the part of Jon's post that says it responds to the SAT/0392 code.

Just FYI, even if you can get by using SAT/0566, the SAT/0392 code is a better code as it works all the time, whereas the other code only works in some cases.
RoyGBiv

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

Just a follow up to your last line. I decided to go back and re-write the DTC-100 device upgrade starting with 0392 as the base device code. Interestingly, if you try to use this device (with RCA protocol, Device 7) with the Cinema 7 remote, you get a protocol upgrade which you must use. Now, having gone through everything else with the protocol upgrade for all the other devices which works fine, I did not want to worry about changing things again. Interestingly, 0566 does not require a protocol upgrade and seems to work fine for me.

SMK
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right about that, I didn't know you were using a Cinema 7, so in this case your best option is to still with the old RCA protocol.

You can't combine upgrades that use a protocol upgrade with the Device Combiner, because it itself is a protocol upgrade and you can only have one upgrade protocol running at a time.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
You can't combine upgrades that use a protocol upgrade with the Device Combiner, because it itself is a protocol upgrade and you can only have one upgrade protocol running at a time.

I thought the changes Hal made to the Device Combiner a few months back allow it to use upgrade protocols on S3C8 remotes now. Is that not the case?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed those updates, so I don't know.
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The discrete codes including discrete HD and SD are all here (it is titled SAT_0392 but they will work):

http://www.hifi-remote.com/codes2/sat_0566.shtml

I do not think the aspect commands 4:3 and 16:9 are correct (exactly) and I don't think any others exist.

If the old RCA protocol works, then don't worry about the difference 0566 and 0392. They are quite similar and only some RCA DSS receivers apparently had problems. I did a device upgrade to recover some memory before I went to an extender
RoyGBiv

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_armstrong,

Thanks for the info. I actually found those codes when I started looking at 0392. Interestingly, when I use the Cinema7 I have to use the 0566 because the 0392 requires a protocol upgrade with it which the 0566 doesn't. I am also now playing around with a 8810w which I started using last night. That one requires the protocol upgrade with 0566 and not with 0392! Go figure.

Again thanks for the help to everyone. My remote is working great and doing everything I wanted it to.

SMK
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoyGBiv wrote:
Jon_armstrong,

Thanks for the info. I actually found those codes when I started looking at 0392. Interestingly, when I use the Cinema7 I have to use the 0566 because the 0392 requires a protocol upgrade with it which the 0566 doesn't. I am also now playing around with a 8810w which I started using last night. That one requires the protocol upgrade with 0566 and not with 0392! Go figure.

Again thanks for the help to everyone. My remote is working great and doing everything I wanted it to.

SMK

Your use of setup codes in this message is confusing, what you really mean to say is that when you select "RCA" in KM with the URC-7800 selected, you are given a protocol upgrade, and when you select "RCA (Old)" in KM with the URC-8811 select, you are given a protocol upgrade.

This is because the URC-7800 has the SAT/0566 code, but not the SAT/0392 code. There obviously weren't any other codes that needed the newer RCA protocol for this remote.

Since those days, however, they have done away with the old RCA protocol and now they use the newer version for both 0566 and 0392, which is why KM presents you with a protocol upgrade if you select the old RCA protocol.
mtakahar
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:
The Robman wrote:

I thought the changes Hal made to the Device Combiner a few months back allow it to use upgrade protocols on S3C8 remotes now. Is that not the case?

Yup. I did it. You CAN combine upgrades that use protocol upgrades with the Device Combiner for s3c8 based remotes.

Hal
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: