JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

strange IR keyboard problem.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kbarry29

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: strange IR keyboard problem. Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am trying to mimic a phillips keyboard with a 15-2116. When I bought the IR keyboard it stated "webtv" compatable. So i loaded the webtv upgrade from the yahoo site.

Everything works fine at first. I can type numbers 1,2,3,4 then it either freazes until i use the IR Keyboard, then it repeats the last remote number, no matter what number i press on the remote.

Very strange.

Any ideas?
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: strange IR keyboard problem. Reply with quote

kbarry29 wrote:
...So i loaded the webtv upgrade from the yahoo site.

Everything works fine at first. I can type numbers 1,2,3,4 then it either freazes until i use the IR Keyboard, then it repeats the last remote number, no matter what number i press on the remote.

I'm pretty sure that I decoded the WebTV keyboard based on John Fine's more general decoding of Async style IR protocols. Keyboards generally have a "make'" and "break" command for each key (I used to call these down and up commands but the arrow keys made for some confusing labels). The "make" is when you depress the key and the "break" is when you release the key. Typical IR remotes just have one command per button.

To further complicate things, keyboards generally have a "held" command if the key is held down and an "all clear" when all keys are released. Those commands are generally the same for every key.

Since, the Async commands tend to be very long commands, I couldn't create an IR protocol that did both the make and break command very easily. So, I found that most of the time the programs that control keyboards weren't very interested in anything but the make command and even if the break command were automatically created after every make, then you couldn't do a ctrl-alt-del since it is looking for ctrl(make)-alt(make)-del(make)-del(break)-alt(break)-ctrl(break).

In practice after the del(make) command is received your computer reboots and doesn't care about the rest of the sequence. Hence, ctrl(make)-alt(make)-del(make) can be done with a macro.

So now that you know more than you really ever wanted about keyboards, I am pretty sure that I put the break keys in the notes column in KM Master functions tab. IIRC, they were usually just setting one bit differently. To get what you want to work, then you probably have to create a macro to issue both the make and break command in some cases, to un-hang the computer since it is probably waiting for a break command. My further guess is that when it is hung, it ignores more make commands and picks up on the universal repeat command and, since it is the same for all keys, just repeats the last make key.
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give the dishplayer code a try, SAT0775.
kbarry29

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! This makes some sense to my problem. I will keep at it!
sfhub

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to look at the readme also. I tried to document how
stuff worked in there. It was more centered around replaytv usage,
but there's some basic groundwork too.
streetskater

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm dredging this one up from the vaults...looking for a little info.

I have a Philips WebTV keyboard that I bought for my Replay. It works OK except there are a few key functions that don't exist--like SELECT or even a key sequent to enter program search mode.

Did anyone ever find a way to customize this keyboard. I read, from time to time, about resources that apparently were once available on Yahoo but seem to have vanished.

Inquiring minds want to know...
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Keyboards All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: