JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Differances between 8910 and 8911 remotes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dms100tech

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Differances between 8910 and 8911 remotes Reply with quote

Hi Folks

I have a couple of questions about the URC-8910 and URC-8911 remotes. Confused

1. What are the differances between these remotes? I think the 8910 is for the US market while the 8911 is for the Canadian.

2. Is the 8911B02 version available in Canada (non-doughnut). All I have seen so far is the 8911B00 at the Bay for about $55.00 CDN. I have e-mailed OFA about availability in Canada , but they have not responded.

Thanks
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They use different model numbers for the Canadian and US remotes, you cannot tell the "donut vs. arrow" question from the model numbers.
dms100tech

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Putting the "donut vs arrow" question aside, are they any major differances one should be aware of when doing upgrades, creating codes etc,etc. I would think both of these should be virtually identical in features and operation.
Thanks
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK, the internals are exactly the same. It's possible that the Canadian version might have some external differences though. I believe the Canadian version of the URC-8011 (called URC-8017) has a black base rather than a gray base like the US model.
dms100tech

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob,

I also see that you are in the bussiness of selling romotes. I persume you are in the US, therefore you might have or know if can get the following:

URC-8910/8911 with arrow keys and green backlighting.

Pls include shipping cost via USPS if you can supply this unit.

Thanks
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While they did make a version of the URC-8910 with green backlighting (I know this because I have one), it's very rare. Every other URC-8910 that I have ever seen has had a red backlight. As the version with arrow keys is newer, I can practically guarantee that 100% of that version has red backlighting.

If having regular arrow keys and green backlighting is a higher priority than having an LCD screen, maybe you should go with a URC-8811 instead.

I have the donut/red backlight version of the URC-8910 available for $23, and I have the arrow key/green backlight version of the URC-8811 available for $19.

Postage to Canada is $4.
dms100tech

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Here is what's available locally in Canada:
At Wally World, 8811 with arrow keys, red backlight
At THE BAY, 8911, donut pad , red backlight

Here's is what I want: 8910 with arrow keys, red backligt is OK. I am quite adept at repairing stuff and if a red led is all that they use for backlighting, it should be no big deal to replace it with green. The hell with the warranty.

Any way, your shipping to Canada is very attractive and if you can supply one as specified, reasonably, I would like to do bussiness with you.

Thanks
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, but I don't have any URC-8910 with arrow keys, so I can't help you. As for the backlighting, on these remotes it is indeed created using a bunch of tiny LEDs (about 10 or so), so if you're comfortable replacing surface mount components, you should be able to make the switch.
dms100tech

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob

I am not sure what your source for these remotes is, but if you ever get what I want, let me know. I will not buy anything locally for a few months.

The other option is a 9910/9910 with arrow keys. I just received a reply from OFA Canada, which said that they will be transisioning to such a model in Canada about Oct 2004. They never mentioned backlighting on this model. What types of features are available on these in the US?

Another question, What's the approx battery life on the LCD models? probably less than the 8810/8811.

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: