JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

? Drake 1824 sat receiver ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wejones

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 1:35 pm    Post subject: ? Drake 1824 sat receiver ? Reply with quote

I have both an ofa-9910 and a RS-2116, and have been sucessful with uploading several devices from the files section at YAHOO to both.
However my problem now, is that I have a Drake 1824 satellite receiver. I have the remote (which is dying), but it is a UHF only remote, although this receiver supposedly will also function with an IR remote. I can't find any of the built in codes that work with this receiver, nor can I find the Drake receiver listed at Yahoo.
I was hoping that someone on this forum might have the information for this remote or perhaps a similar Drake remote?
If not, my question is, is it possible to decode the remote signals from the RF signal? I have communications receivers, and have determined the freq, and have sucessfully received the signal from the remote, and I'm pretty sure I can record the audio signal as a wav file. I think this would give me the data, but perhaps it wouldn't give the freq of the IR remote? Does this seem possible?
I'm also wondering if it would be possible to insert an LED in the circuitry of the UHF remote, and generate a signal that can be learned by one of my learning remotes? Is this possible or are UHF and IR remotes so different that this isn't conceivable?
I have one last possibility, and that is to buy one of the IR remotes from a dealer I know who has one, but satellite remotes are generally quite expensive, so that is a last resort.
Any ideas?
thanks.
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are in luck the Premise systems has your exact model with the commands in Pronto hex:

http://ir.premisesystems.com/search.aspx?m=DRAKE&l=ESR1824

It uses NEC1:134.107 and to decode the pronto hex commands you can use a modified version of IRTool and DecodeIR.dll found in the JP1Files|Programs and JP1Files|Tools folders respectively. Download and unzip DecodeIR.dll and copy to your windows\system file. Decode them and create a device upgrade.

For the experts here, there is an old setup code SAT_0770 that uses the NEC1:134.107 and the power command is the same but the rest of the few commands I spot checked were different.

Come back with questions if this is to little information to get you started.
wejones

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I'm not that experienced with creating an upgrade from data like at the web page you referenced, however I think I can modify an existing upgrade like the Sat_0770 you mentioned.
Thanks, I'll give that a try. If it works, this will be great, because I have to take my existing remote apart and clean the contacts about twice a week to keep it working, and that is getting old.
thanks
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SAT_0770 that I mentioned is not an upgrade posted anywhere and if it is I don't think it will will work.

Here is the device upgrade for the 2116 based on the Pronto hex at Premise Systems:

Upgrade Code 0 = 66 EA (Cable/1770)
5A 00 FE FE FE FD 20 9E 29 ED 65 75 E5 7D BD 7D
DD 5D 9D 95 55 D5 E7 B5 B7 A7 0D 67 4D 07 57 D7
25 0F 4F 6D 87 17 77 CD A5 FD 27 1D 97 6F C7 F5
KeyMoves
2F F3 66 EA 8D 2D F3 66 EA 47
End

Here are the commands: EFC's and buton assignments the commands inside the parenthesis are the real commands where different from the labels:

037 0
233 1
105 2
229 3
169 4
167 5
169 6
164 7
168 8
166 9
102 vol up
104 vol down
100 mute
245 channel up
103 channel down
119 power
170 enter
040 tv/video(SAT)
042 last(LOCK)
250 menu
056 guide(HELP)
120 up arrow( FINE-UP ARROW)
116 down arrow( FINE-DOWN ARROW)
235 left arrow( FINE-LEFT ARROW)
058 right arrow( FINE-RIGHT ARROW)
249 select(C/KU)
251 sleep(FILTER)
118 pip(VIEW)
247 info(SETUP)
244 swap(NXT PRG)
057 move(AUDIO SEL)
246 play(VC ->)
165 pause(PRIORITY)
121 rewind(WEST)
036 fast fwd(EAST)
122 stop(VC <-)
231 record(SOURCE)
041 exit(CANCEL)
038 100(AUTO PK)
101 freeze(AUDIO)
248 phantom1(TEXT)

I'll post the device upgrade at JP1|Files|Devices|Satellite|drake_ESR_1824.txt

Meanwhile, load the upgrade in your 2116 and see if it works.
wejones

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
I just uploaded the device, and it seems to work. I haven't tried all the functions yet, but at least it changes channels and a couple other functions I tried, so I think it's just a matter of learning where things are now.
Thanks. This is great. I was thinking I was going to have to buy an expensive replacement for this remote.
wejones

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke a bit too soon. It looks like many of the buttons don't do what they are supposed to do, ie either nothing, or they perform some other function.
I'm going to try pushing all the buttons to find out what they do, and see if I can re-map the functions. If I'm successful, I'll post the results.
Even the buttons I have working now will save wear and tear on my UHF remote, but I think I should be able to find the other functions.
Thanks again.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: ? Drake 1824 sat receiver ? Reply with quote

wejones wrote:
I have both an ofa-9910 and a RS-2116,

The symptoms you describe directly above exactly fit what we'd expect if you took the hex form of the upgrade that Jon posted here earlier and used it in a remote other than the 2116. So which remote did you use for that test and did you use the hex form of the upgrade he posted here or the KM file he put in the Satellite folder?
wejones

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted a reply to the above, which somehow got lost. Just as well, because I have more info now.
Basically, I have it working now.
Thanks.
I think I had a bad upload to the remote for some reason, however one possible reason was that I violated one of the rules here, and didn't use the most up to date versions of the programs. I tried to download the new versions, but YAHOO kept giving me file not found, and the usual tricks didn't work, so I used my 6 month old version of KeyMap and the decodeIR version of IR.exe. The upload seemed to work, however there must have been a problem with the upload.
I eventually got the new versions of the programs to download, by switching browsers, and when I uploaded the device to the remote it works now.
I haven't tried all the functions, but I tried all the ones I use, and they all worked fine.
Great!

One neat thing is that I have 2 remotes for this receiver (both are uhf, and both are going bad), and each remote has some features that the other doesn't have, but now I have features of both, plus some features that aren't on either remote, plus I have a remote I don't have to take apart 3 times a week.

Thanks.
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget you can search all 256 commands for hidden/additional features now that we know the Protocol/device/sub-device combination.

I also didn't answer your original question about using the original remote. I believe that most combination (IR and RF) remotes use the same modulation envelope. There are some great hardware experts here like Tommy Tyler and maybe with photo's you could identify the RF daughterboard and modify an OFA remote to transmit both IR and RF. It's been a long time but IIRC, some people in the x10 world were doing something like that. The other thought would be to build an IR to RF repeater. I claim no particular expertise in hardware mods, however!
wejones

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
Re the "search", what is the easiest way to do that? Can I add all the un-used values in the "Functions" section of Keymap so that they will then be available to put on an unused key in the "Buttons" section? Or do I have to edit the device text file?
I've used KeyMap quite a bit, but have mainly used the "buttons" tab to exchange functions assigned to buttons, and am not that familiar with the other capabilities. I guess I'll have to do some more reading.
Thanks.
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can (and should) list every function you find, and their efc's (or OBC's if you make OBC style upgrades), even tho you may or may not actually want to use all of them in your personal upgrade. You can elect to use any of the functiuons by actually assigning them to buttons. If there's a function you don't think you'd ever actually use, you can elect to just not assign it to a button.

If you already have an upgrade entered in the remote for a device, and later want to "add" functions, the best way is to just delete the former, and "add" the revised version. Otherwise the only other "practical" solution is to add them via keymoves, and that's not really a clean solution and uses more memory.

Jim
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would advise cutting & pasting the columns from the Functions sheet in KM over to a new Excel workbook, then sorting them in OBC order. This should help focus you in on what OBCs are missing. Make a list of the missing OBCs.

Next, fire up a new session of KM as this will give you all the default function names pre-assigned to buttons. Then enter all the protocol info for the Drake and select OBC button mode.

Then, go to the Functions sheet and enter in all those missing OBCs (actually, just cut & paste them from the other spreadsheet). This will create a "dummy" upgrade which you can load into your remote. Once it's in the remote, test all of the buttons on your device, if you find any buttons that do something, make a note of which button it was, then when you're finished come back to the KM list and see what OBC it was, then include this in your master list.

NOTE: if you used EFCs to create the master list, use the SWAP button to switch over to OBC mode before entering the OBCs
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: