JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

code for older rca tv to access menu function

View previous topic :: View next topic  
digitalman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: code for older rca tv to access menu function Reply with quote

Hi all! I tried to search for this problem, but can't find any posts similar to this one. Here's my deal: I have an older (really old) one of those floor console rca tv's (think it actually says GE on the front) I did not get a remote with it.

Using most universal remotes, the standard rca setup code 0047 will control most standard tv functions, except for the "menu setup", so that I can go in and set up the clock, change the video settings, add/delete channells and e.t.c.

I just aquired an 8910 learning remote, and also a modified 6131. I have them setup to control everything I have, but was wondering if I could somehow find the code to access the "menu" function on my tv, so that I could punch it into KM, and then assign it to the menu button? Sounds simple, it's probably already posted here somewhere, if I only knew where to look......

Also, on the back of this tv, it has just one video input. I have found by experimentation a long time ago, that to access this video input, I have to tune to ch.91 on the tv. Would it be possible to get a code that I could map into one of my remotes and just press a button to get it to go to the v1 input channell? I also noticed when going to ch.92 it says "v2", and ch.93 says "v3", although this tv only has one video input. Maybe this was put into the eeprom on all of these tv's, but not configured with three video inputs?

I think I can get the model number off the back of the tv if this would help. I would've posted it now, but am recording right now with my pvr, and that thing is so delicate, everytime I swivel the tv when it's on, it starts to give me the old "your hard drive is bad" message, and then I have to reset it up all over again......my pvr, not the tv that is.

Thanks in advance for any help, or pointing me in the right direction! Confused
mackado

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you try the advance code 082 for 'menu' found here?

http://www.hifi-remote.com/cgi-bin2/ueic.cgi?TV_0047
digitalman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I haven't (where did you find these?) but I will try it now.
Much thanks, mackado!

Edited 7/12 @11:36 c.s.t.
Mackado, I found that the link to these advanced codes is in the yahoo group file section, thanks!

Last edited by digitalman on Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
digitalman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, those didn't work, so I started playing with the 6131 and found that other rca protocol codes do work as well.....duh (I know, I should have done this from the start)

Anyways, I found that code 1347 works on this tv, and the menu works so that I can get the clock set up.

My next question is, how do open up a manufacturers code, and put some of my own in there? Is this possible?

I want to accomplish two things:
1. The sleep button does not work with this code 1347
2. would like to put a code in there to have the tv switch to V1, instead of having to hit ch.91 all the time.

Thanks in advance Confused
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digitalman wrote:

Anyways, I found that code 1347 works on this tv, and the menu works so that I can get the clock set up.

I checked my library of CCF files for any that use the command RCA:15:24 (which is the menu key in TV/1347, and different from the menu key in the four similar setup codes).

It is the "setup" key in the CCF for an RCA TV: S20520WN

digitalman wrote:

My next question is, how do open up a manufacturers code, and put some of my own in there? Is this possible?

I'm not sure what you mean. You can use KeyMoves to program individual keys, overriding what is in the setup code. Or you can use RM or KM to create a new setup code (and use IR.EXE to load it into the remote). You can use the Devices4 spreadsheet to get most of the function numbers for TV/1347 to use as a starting point. It is missing that "setup" command, but I already told you that was OBC 24 (KM, RM or IR can all translate OBC to EFC if you need EFC).

digitalman wrote:

1. The sleep button does not work with this code 1347

The sleep command is the same (OBC 7) in every source I have for an RCA TV that has sleep, and that is in TV/1347, so I'm not sure what to try for sleep. The CCF for S20520WN had no sleep key. Are you sure your TV has a sleep function?

That CCF has a discrete Off function: OBC 59 = EFC 219

digitalman wrote:

2. would like to put a code in there to have the tv switch to V1, instead of having to hit ch.91 all the time.

It's hard to know which function does which from the names in a CCF file. Three you might try are

Ant = OBC 5 = EFC 234
Input = OBC 163 = EFC 023
Video = OBC 226 = EFC 029

Of course you could always define a macro to switch to channel 91.

Other RCA TV's use the discrete On command of other types of RCA device for discrete input select. That also might work.
digitalman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Excellent response time!

johnsfine wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean. You can use KeyMoves to program individual keys, overriding what is in the setup code. Or you can use RM or KM to create a new setup code (and use IR.EXE to load it into the remote). You can use the Devices4 spreadsheet to get most of the function numbers for TV/1347 to use as a starting point. It is missing that "setup" command, but I already told you that was OBC 24 (KM, RM or IR can all translate OBC to EFC if you need EFC).

Ok, then I need to learn keymoves. I didn't know how to leave the manufacturers code in the remote, and add extra keys to it. And that was my next question was if I tried to duplicate the 1347/tv code, where would I find the codes that are in it? I will check out devices4 spreadsheet, thanks! (I will do a search on here for devices4 spreadsheet, but I'm thinking you mean just open up KM software, and look for devices4 spreadsheet to open up and edit?)

johnsfine wrote:

The sleep command is the same (OBC 7) in every source I have for an RCA TV that has sleep, and that is in TV/1347, so I'm not sure what to try for sleep. The CCF for S20520WN had no sleep key. Are you sure your TV has a sleep function?

That CCF has a discrete Off function: OBC 59 = EFC 219

Yes, it has a sleep timer, accessible thru the menu key, which now works thanks to code 1347. Have to pull up the menu, then press the "1" key (I think it's 1) to get in the sleep timer, and then set the time on it using the ch or vol up and down keys.

On a newer rca portable tv I have, it has a sleep button, when pressed just gives me 30 minute increments in sleep time.....didn't know if I could do this with this older rca unit or not.

johnsfine wrote:

It's hard to know which function does which from the names in a CCF file. Three you might try are

Ant = OBC 5 = EFC 234
Input = OBC 163 = EFC 023
Video = OBC 226 = EFC 029

Of course you could always define a macro to switch to channel 91.

Other RCA TV's use the discrete On command of other types of RCA device for discrete input select. That also might work.

Ok, I will check these out and try them. I can see now that I need to learn how to do keymoves, and set up macros.

Thanks for the quick response and excellent info johnsfine!
Have a good day Very Happy
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just created a KM file based on TV/0047 which also includes every EFC from all the other RCA TV codes (ie, 1047, 1147, 1247, 1347, 1447 and 1547). Here it is: RCA_TV.txt
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also created a master upgrade for RCA TV's for RM last week that has all the discrete input commands and commands from the HDTV sets plus every other RCA command I ever found. If I beat you to it I'll compare. Mine uses the RCA Combo protocol to get the other devices for the discrete inputs.
digitalman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Master codes for older RCA television sets Reply with quote

Awesome, totally awesome!

The Robman
jon_armstrong
Johnsfine

You guys are T-totally awesome!

Thanks for the latest two files. Didn't have much time today to play with trying to do keymoves, as they are painting the house, and I'm having to move vehicles, and supervise, and blah,blah,blah......

I will definately try these two latest files and let you guys know how they work out with my ofa M6131 remote.

After joining a few other boards the last couple of months trying to do some other new hobbies, and getting bashed by senior members and mods when asking "dumb" questions that have already been answered (mainly because their search engine sucks, or they don't know how to set it up right) You guys make a newbie feel right at home here! Thanks!
I hope someday I will be able to help out a newbie here as well.
Very Happy

P.S. Had to edit this after re-reading, can't forget to say thank you to mackado as well....thanks, mackado!
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digitalman wrote:
I used to have an RCA RPTV (circa mid-80s), and it had all 3 video inputs that were accessed as channels 91, 92 & 93. The remote itself actually sent out the digits 91 when you pressed the video1 button, so I suspect you'll have to create a macro to do the same. Even the 'last channel' function worked by having the remote remember it and re-send the digits.
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[url=http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/3.%20Device%20Codes/TV/RCA-TV's_All_commands-KM.txt]Here[/url] is a link to the KM version of the file of all RCA TV commands known to me. It uses the RCA combo (official) protocol so that if you need the discrete input commands that are on other device codes (and based on what Mike is saying you probably don't), they are all in one upgrade. Otherwise the EFC's for all device 15 commands are the same as the regular RCA single variable byte protocol.

Last edited by jon_armstrong on Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
digitalman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks for the info Mike. I will setup a macro for going to V1. This old rca has been good so far, but has a terminal problem with the power just popping off and then on after a few seconds.....has done it all it's life. I keep waiting for it to die, but it always comes back on. Did yours' ever do that?

And -Jon, thanks for trying, but that link said that the file was not found on this server after I logged in to the yahoo site......
I still haven't had time to play with the stuff that I got earlier yet. Am trying to undertake a project of somehow putting some ir codes into my series 2 tivo, so that it will control this sat box I have, as the original codes that are in there will not control it. I have been reading the past couple of days about "telnet" and hacking the tivo, but don't know if it's worth all that work just to do this. Sure wish there was an easier way.

Thanks everybody for all the info, the support here is superb! Very Happy
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digitalman wrote:
-Jon, thanks for trying, but that link said that the file was not found on this server after I logged in to the yahoo site......

Fixed now!
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

digitalman wrote:
This old rca has been good so far, but has a terminal problem with the power just popping off and then on after a few seconds.....has done it all it's life. I keep waiting for it to die, but it always comes back on. Did yours' ever do that?
As a matter of fact, yes it did. RCA tried to fix it several times without success. I finally found the problem myself. The horizontal output transistor was overheating because it was not properly mounted to it's heatsink, and it would trip the protection shutdown circuit. I remounted it with thermal grease and it ran for many years after that without a problem, until the CRTs got too dim to watch.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, we have solutions for EVERYTHING here!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Discrete Codes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: