JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

8810w VPT puzzle?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bgc99

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:39 am    Post subject: 8810w VPT puzzle? Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm having trouble getting vpt to work with a couple of upgrades I made. My vpt status is 'on' and the device is set to TV. The vpt status listed for each of the device keys is 'on' as well.

I made 3 VCR upgrades: Mitsubishi A codes assigned to VCR device key. Mitsubishi B codes assigned to Aux device key. Sony VCR upgrade assigned to SAT device key.

When the VCR device key is selected, vpt functions properly and controls the TV. If the AUX or SAT keys are selected, the volume keys don't do anything, the light on the remote doesn't even light when the volume keys are pressed when in Aux or Sat mode. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong here.

The upgrades were created with RM, I posted the following files in the diagnosis area:

My Remote IR file
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/Diagnosis%20Area/My%20Remote.txt

Sony RM file assigned to SAT key
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/Diagnosis%20Area/Sony%20VCR%20upgrade.rmdu

Mits RM file assigned to AUX key
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/Diagnosis%20Area/Mitsubishi%20VCR%200043%20B-code%20upgrade.rmdu

Thanks,
BGC
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: 8810w VPT puzzle? Reply with quote

bgc99 wrote:

I made 3 VCR upgrades: Mitsubishi A codes assigned to VCR device key. Mitsubishi B codes assigned to Aux device key. Sony VCR upgrade assigned to SAT device key.

When the VCR device key is selected, vpt functions properly and controls the TV. If the AUX or SAT keys are selected, the volume keys don't do anything,

VPT doesn't work when the device type of the upgrade (VCR in your example) is not the same as the default device type of the device key.

You have a few choices for fixing this, including:

1) Redo the upgrades using the default device type of those device keys. The fact that you intend to control a VCR does not constrain you to using a VCR type upgrade. But choosing a device type that isn't appropriate for the device often ends up needing several extra KeyMoves. If you need 3 or more extra per upgrade then this isn't the best choice.

2) Use KeyMoves to set the Vol keys in AUX and SAT mode to give the same behavior that VPT would have given if it worked.

3) Use the extender. It gives you direct control over which Vol keys are used in which mode without all the obscure restrictions that apply without the extender.
bgc99

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

1) Redo the upgrades using the default device type of those device keys. The fact that you intend to control a VCR does not constrain you to using a VCR type upgrade. But choosing a device type that isn't appropriate for the device often ends up needing several extra KeyMoves. If you need 3 or more extra per upgrade then this isn't the best choice.

Thanks for the reply. So, in RM you would just choose SAT for the device type even though you still intend to control a VCR? The extra keymoves you speak of would be necessary because certain keys needed for the VCR would not be in the default keymap for the SAT device, is that correct?

Quote:

2) Use KeyMoves to set the Vol keys in AUX and SAT mode to give the same behavior that VPT would have given if it worked.

This is probably the route I will have to take, either this or using learning. My current upgrades seem to end up with a keymove or two, and that area of memory is being consumed pretty fast. I haven't encountered any command that had to be learned, but I'm going to change some of the keymoves to learned keys to free up some room for future macros. Extenders are a little more involved than I want to get right now.

Thanks,
BGC
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bgc99 wrote:
So, in RM you would just choose SAT for the device type even though you still intend to control a VCR? The extra keymoves you speak of would be necessary because certain keys needed for the VCR would not be in the default keymap for the SAT device, is that correct?

Correct.

bgc99 wrote:

My current upgrades seem to end up with a keymove or two, and that area of memory is being consumed pretty fast. I haven't encountered any command that had to be learned, but I'm going to change some of the keymoves to learned keys to free up some room for future macros. Extenders are a little more involved than I want to get right now.

Switching from KeyMoves to learned signals is extra work and might have problems and will make your configuration trickier to maintain and enhance later. That method works well for Rob, but an expert is not only better at doing the job right he is better at avoiding the consequences of doing it "wrong".

I think once you try the extender you'll find it makes all these issues much easier.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: