JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RS 2116 - Device Code set 1763 won't load into Audio

View previous topic :: View next topic  
muya201

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:22 am    Post subject: RS 2116 - Device Code set 1763 won't load into Audio Reply with quote

I have a 2116. In addition, I have a Panasonic SA-XR25 receiver that I really want to get the discrete on and offs working. Looking on the Yahoo JP1 group, I can find a txt file that indicates the code set for the receiver is 1763. The problem is that the 2116 doesn't accept this as a valid code set for Audio ("not found"). Are there available workarounds to get the 1763 into the 2116 or do I need to get a JP1 cable?

The only other idea I can come up with is using a differerent code set that works with the XR25 and will be accepted by the 2116. I found that device code set 1308, 1309, and 1518 will toggle on/off the power but applying the discrete codes of 022 and 026 (common for many Pannys) don't work and 062 and 063 (for some Panny recevers) don't work when tested against these code sets.

Thanks. Ron
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: RS 2116 - Device Code set 1763 won't load into Audio Reply with quote

muya201 wrote:
I can find a txt file that indicates the code set for the receiver is 1763.

That txt file is a JP1 upgrade to CREATE a setup code 1763. There is nothing special about the number 1763. It is just the number chosen by the person who wrote that file. It does NOT indicate that the setup code 1763 would be associated with this device in any remote which hasn't had that upgrade installed.

muya201 wrote:
Are there available workarounds to get the 1763 into the 2116 or do I need to get a JP1 cable?

A JP1 cable would be required to install that upgrade, or for any good solution for this device. But you can do a little more without a JP1 cable than you've managed so far (if you want to waste more effort than using a JP1 cable would take).

muya201 wrote:
I found that device code set 1308, 1309, and 1518 will toggle on/off the power but applying the discrete codes of 022 and 026 (common for many Pannys) don't work and 062 and 063 (for some Panny recevers) don't work when tested against these code sets.

Tuner/1308, Tuner/1309 and Tuner/1518 are all "combo" setup codes, which means that EFC numbers (the 022, 026, 062, etc. that you tried) won't work with those setup codes.

The 15-2116 also includes the setup code AMP/0308. (Note the type as well as the number). Nearly a third of the commands your device accepts can be generated by EFC numbers in that setup code. Maybe the discrete codes you want are in that group.

If you open that txt file you mentioned using the KM spreadsheet and look on the functions tab, every function that has a 1 in the byte2 column is one whose EFC number will work using AMP/0308. For example, vol+ is 213, power is 024, source direct is 162, etc.

The other 2/3 of the possible commands cannot be used by EFC number without a JP1 cable.

You could select whichever of those combo setup codes is closest to fitting your device and then use KeyMoves to fill in any extra functions you can get from AMP/0308. You can even use KeyMoves to copy predefined keys from another of the combo setup codes (if each has a different subset of what you need). But for more than that you really need JP1.
muya201

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the detailed response and parsing out my message. I have a question in Section 3.

1 - Thanks for clarifying the use of "1763". This clears up some confusion I had when looking at several txt files.

2 - I will take one more shot at wasting time before going the JP1 route. (I have the original remotes for all my equipment, so I can have the 2116 learn most of what I need, I am only wanting the discrete codes for this one piece of equipment.)

3- I tried assigning 0308 to the "Audio" button on the 2116, but it gave me a "Not Found" response ( I will retest this evening). I thought that AMP corresponded to the Audio device. Am I wrong? Should 0308 be assigned to a different device? The 2116 has 8 device buttons: CD, DVD, VCR, TV, SAT, Aux, Audio, Cable. Worst case, I can cycle through each of the devices using the manual search feature and the LCD display to see which device the 0308 is assigned.

4 - As a second backup, I could use the "combo" setup codes I found as a starting point to hunt and peck through EFCs (by pushing the Setup button and EFC code) to see if they trigger a discrete on or off.

5 - Thanks for the tip on the byte2 column.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

muya201 wrote:
3- I tried assigning 0308 to the "Audio" button on the 2116, but it gave me a "Not Found" response ( I will retest this evening). I thought that AMP corresponded to the Audio device. Am I wrong? Should 0308 be assigned to a different device? The 2116 has 8 device buttons: CD, DVD, VCR, TV, SAT, Aux, Audio, Cable.

You might want to try assigning that code under the Aux and/or CD buttons.

Quote:
4 - As a second backup, I could use the "combo" setup codes I found as a starting point to hunt and peck through EFCs (by pushing the Setup button and EFC code) to see if they trigger a discrete on or off.

Unfortunately, you can't, as John pointed out. Most combo codes use 2-byte hex commands that do not equate to normal EFC's. If you had a JP1 cable and were using the IR program, you could create key moves using 2-byte commands, but thay can't be done directly from the remote, nor tested with the Set-#-#-# sequence.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

muya201 wrote:

3- I tried assigning 0308 to the "Audio" button on the 2116, but it gave me a "Not Found" response ( I will retest this evening). I thought that AMP corresponded to the Audio device.

I don't have a 15-2116. So I'm unsure myself of that detail. The 15-2116 has 15 device types and only 8 device buttons, so I don't think it uses the kind of association of device type to device button that the non LCD models have. I thought that during the programming of a device key you were given the oportunity to scroll through the device types and select any one (independendant of which device key you're programming).

The types are TV,VCR,DVD,LDP,TAPE,DAT,CBL,SAT,VIDEO,CD,RCVR,AMP,MISC,PHONO,HOME.
When you find where it lets you scroll through that list you can select AMP from that list.

muya201 wrote:

That won't work. When I said EFC numbers don't work in those setup codes, I didn't mean just the specific EFC numbers you mentioned. I meant all EFC numbers. (I gave the specific numbers as examples only because I wasn't sure you know what an "EFC" was).

If you try an EFC number in a combo setup code, part of the generated signal is essentially random. On occasion the random part will be correct for the intended use, but it isn't reproducible. Try the exact same EFC again in the same setup code and you'll probably get a different signal generated. There is no practical way to make use of it (plenty of people have tried).
muya201

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - the masters have done it again! Congratulations guys.

John was correct the 2116 has 15 device types but only 8 device buttons. I may have passed over this fact in the 2116 manual but the steps for accessing all 15 device types are:

Press and hold the "P" key until the "Code Set" appears on LCD
Press the "Select" button
Press the /\ or \/ keys. This will circulate you through the 15 devices that are displayed in the LCD:

Amp, Rcvr, CD, Video, Satellite, Cable, DAT, Tape, Laser Disc, DVD, VCR, TV, Phono, Home, Misc.

So the solution ended up being straight forward. Assigned code 0308 to AMP and then tried the 022 and 026 discrete codes for the Panasonic XR25 and it worked.

(For other future users searching threads... I am guessing this has been docuemented in another thread but from the 2116 manual's back cover the non obvious devices appear to correspond to:

Video (not VCR): Video Accessories (by Archer, Bantor, GC Electronics, Jebsee, Panasonic, Princeton, Radio Shack, Samsung, Sensory Science)

DAT: Digital Tapes (Digital Audio Tapes) (by Carver, Harmon Kardon, Magnavox, Marantz, Philips)

Tape = Cassette Players (Akai, Carver, Fisher, Garrard, Optimus, Pioneer, RCA, Rotel, Sanyo, Sony, Wards)

Laser Disc (by Aiwa, Denon, Funal, Mitsubishi, NAD, Optimus, Pioneer, Realistic)

Phono: Turntable ? (by Aiwa, Carver, Magnavox, Marantz, Philips

Home: Home Automation (by GE, One for All, Radioshack, Security System, Universal X10, X10)

Misc.: Misc Audio (by Aiwa, Sony hmmm... I wonder what this is.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: