JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

TV & RCVR discrete codes on each device

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rocketkarl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:04 pm    Post subject: TV & RCVR discrete codes on each device Reply with quote

Right now, I am using the keymover feature of my remote to map the discrete input selection keys from the RCVR to the same button under each device. In other words, whatever device mode I'm on in the remote, when I hit that key, it syncs the RCVR to the input for that device.

Now that I have a JP1 cable, I'd like to do the same for the TV, but I don't have a bunch of extra buttons on the TV device mode to map the discete codes there. I'm wondering if there's a way to bypass that, and just for example, put the discete code for COMP-1 for the TV on a button under the CBL mode?

Is that what is meant by NEC combo? Or is that something I would do in KM under Key Moves tab?

Thanks much.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: TV & RCVR discrete codes on each device Reply with quote

rocketkarl wrote:
Right now, I am using the keymover feature of my remote to map the discrete input selection keys from the RCVR to the same button under each device. In other words, whatever device mode I'm on in the remote, when I hit that key, it syncs the RCVR to the input for that device.

Now that I have a JP1 cable, I'd like to do the same for the TV, but I don't have a bunch of extra buttons on the TV device mode to map the discete codes there. I'm wondering if there's a way to bypass that, and just for example, put the discete code for COMP-1 for the TV on a button under the CBL mode?

Is that what is meant by NEC combo? Or is that something I would do in KM under Key Moves tab?

Thanks much.

Part of the answer depends on the remote you have. If you have a remote that has "home theater" or "my system" mode you could put the function on one of the sets of buttons like the PIP functions and set the remote for PIP to be on at all times. There is also a Special Protocol that lets you dynamically changes which functions are "punched through" to all devices such as transport buttons (Rewind, Play etc.) or PIP (PIP, Swap Move) even if your remote does not have a home theater mode. Alternatively you could put a macro on a shifted button and it will by default be in all devices, A short press of the setup button followed by the button it is on would do it.

A combo protocol would not necessarilty answer the question because it would have to be a combo for ALL devices and could get very complicated and still need some keymoves..
rocketkarl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the OFA URC 8910, which does have HomeTheatre mode, but I don't use it.

Here's the thing though. I don't want a button to be punched through (like PIP). I want a button that when I'm in CBL mode, it tells the TV to switch to COMP-1. When I'm in DVD mode, I want that same button to switch the TV to COMP-2.

So, its kind of like combo, since I want most keys in CBL mode to be CBL box commands, but I want a key at the bottom to be the discrete COMP-1 button for the TV, and the key next to it to be discrete DVD-input for the RCVR.

I guess I can just map all the discerete inputs for the TV to the FF,PLAY,RW type buttons, and then keymove the releveant one to the same buttom key under each device. I was just trying to not confuse the TV mode by having to do that.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: TV & RCVR discrete codes on each device Reply with quote

rocketkarl wrote:

Your question seems to involve an incorrect assumption about how things work.

A KeyMove is not in any way dependant on a source device mode nor a source key. A KeyMove just needs a setup code and a hex command. The setup code doesn't need to be assigned to any device key and the hex command doesn't need to be assigned to any button within the setup code.

If you want the TV discrete input code for COMP-1 on a button in CBL mode, you just need to know the EFC or Hex command for that discrete and then you set it up on the KeyMoves tab of IR.EXE.

When you create an upgrade for the TV, it is good form to include that discrete code in the functions tab of that upgrade, but if you will actually use it in some other device mode, there is no reason to include it in the buttons tab of the upgrade.

When you create an upgrade for your CBL device in RM it is possible to use the external functions tab to include that discrete input command so it's in an upgrade rather than just in IR.EXE. I never looked closely at whatever KM features might be comperable to RM's external functions tab, but anyway most of us consider it bad form to use the external functions tab that way. It is intended for functions that really are part of the device that the upgrade is for and just need another setup code because of some implementation constraint. When you want to put a function of one device in the mode of another, that is best left out of the upgrades and done just in IR.
rocketkarl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification. I thought it might use less mem space to include it in the upgrade, which is why I was trying to force it in there.

Also, I guess I didn't realize that IR had more functions than KM. I thought KM was just the easier UI for setting things up. But now I see that KM is really just the first step, for getting all the normal buttons defined, and IR defines the advanced stuff.

Thanks.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Key definitions that are really in an upgrade DO take less space than those in a KeyMove, but this one couldn't be really in the upgrade unless you made a monster device combiner protocol and even then it might not.

KM and RM let you define some keys as part of the process of defining an upgrade even though those keys (for a variety of reasons) can't really be part of the upgrade. In those cases KM or RM pass those definitions to IR as KeyMoves when you copy the upgrade to IR. The resulting KeyMoves are no different from KeyMoves you could create yourself in IR.

The effective difference (between defining a KeyMove in KM or in IR) exists only on the PC. There it is an issue of recording the "why" as well as the "what" of what you've defined for your remote. If the keys are logically part of the upgrade they belong with the upgrade in KM or RM, so the right things happen when:
1) You look at your work a year later and try to remember your intent.
2) You upload your work to the group for use by someone who has the same CBL tuner you have but not the same TV or vice versa.
3) You replace a device and must replace that device's contribution to your remote's configuration.
rocketkarl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Having played with IR for abit now, I understand what you're saying. And I followed that approach. I'm almost full on keymoves though, so if I need to add anything else I'll either need to:

1) replace some key moves with learned keys
2) get all the keyboard learned keys into an update so I can start using an extender
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lisadaveh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:08 am    Post subject: I suggest trying the extenders. Reply with quote

I took the extender plunge 3 days ago, and while it took a bit of time to follow the instructions to a T, once I was done, I really have the hang of it. I could easily do it again with only a glance at the instructions. I highly reccommend that you try the extenders as they will make your remote a thousand times more functional than original settings.

I think you will have to get rid of all those learning keys by using KeyMaster, but I found it was well worth all the work
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: