JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is there any IR HID USB device known to wake up computers?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
robertdyer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:31 am    Post subject: Is there any IR HID USB device known to wake up computers? Reply with quote

"Many HID IR to USB devices exist, with MCE IR dongles being among the most universal. Yet, these don't wake computers from sleep like USB mice or keyboards. I've found an IR HID device capable of this, but it identifies the protocol as 'none' when learning commands. So, I'm curious:
1. Is there any IR HID USB device known to wake up computers from sleep?
2. How can one capture and convert a 'no protocol' command into an rmir file, especially since I only need it to wake the computer, after which MCE commands work fine?"
WagonMaster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The behavior of various HID devices with regard to wake-ability could be dependent on, among other things, the operating system. So it might help if you mention the operating system(s) on which you're interested in having this work.

Having said that, I'll report some of my experience testing this just now.

Under (Slackware) Linux, my 'FLIRC' (USB HID) device (which I've discussed elsewhere on this forum) wakes the PC from ACPI 'S3' (typically called "Suspend To RAM") sleep state just fine, as expected.

But, surprisingly (to me), an MCE remote/USB-dongle device that I got with an older Zotac PC would not wake my Linux PC from that same 'S3' sleep state unless I pressed the single, specific button on the remote which sends the "XF86WakeUp" key/button signal.

This can get confusing due to window manager settings and other things, which is why I suggest that you specify your OS(es) of interest.

It might also help if you specifically mention which level of "sleep" you're interested in awakening from. See this Wikipedia article on ACPI if it helps: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACPI

(I have no answer to your 2nd question.)

Hope that helps a bit. If my setup and/or devices are relevant to your setup/goals and you need more info or testing, just let me know. Good luck!
CyberSimian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there any IR HID USB device known to wake up computer Reply with quote

robertdyer wrote:

Is there any IR HID USB device known to wake up computers from sleep?

On a Windows HTPC, an MCE RC6 remote control plus matching IR receiver will wake the HTPC from sleep. You simply press the POWER button on the remote control.

Waking an HTPC from hibernation using a remote control is a much more complicated problem, but it is do-able (hibernation is what I use with my HTPC).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Is there any IR HID USB device known to wake up computer Reply with quote

CyberSimian wrote:
Waking an HTPC from hibernation using a remote control is a much more complicated problem, but it is do-able (hibernation is what I use with my HTPC).

You have to go into BIOS and enable an option for waking up from USB. This is highly system dependent. It is independent on the OS system.

There is also the possibility to use WOL ("wake on LAN") for devices on (wired) LAN (not WLAN). It works by sendng a certain package to the MAC-address. There are apps for Android and iOS available, as well as all sort of programs for all sort of OSes. You can even use a speech assistant like Alexa.
chuliu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be able to wake up my pcs from sleep/hibernate by sending magic packet remotely, i.e, from the internet. You need to set a broadcast address on your router and set up port forward on your router for that to work. I sent the magic packet with ios/android, or pc as Barf pointed out.

In the occasions when the pc hung up from some reason, I had a remote power siwtch to reboot the pcs. I set up "recover from power loss to power on" or something like that in the bios. I also could shut down the pc and woke it up with the power switch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: