JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Seeking advice on buying used OFA(URC) remotes in Europe!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
humnx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:15 pm    Post subject: Seeking advice on buying used OFA(URC) remotes in Europe! Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to this world and have just started exploring things. One of the members, mdavej, suggested this forum while I was searching for advice on AVSForum.

I've shortlisted rarely-used (some like new) remotes on eBay, and they are selling for just under 20 Euros, including shipping. I didn't expect the list would go this long, which puts me in a bit of a confused state. Could anyone, based on your experiences, tell me which of these remotes are good in terms of durability and functionality, as well as future-proof (meaning, can add more devices/diverse functions)? Better to go with recent models than old models?

URC-7980, URC-7960, URC-7955, URC-7950, URC-7140, URC-7130, URC-2981, URC-8620, URC-8305, URC-3661 (same as ONN 6)

Thank you for your assistance!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will you be intending to get a JP1 cable so you can program the remote using JP1? The answer to that might influence which remote people consider better.
humnx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Will you be intending to get a JP1 cable so you can program the remote using JP1? The answer to that might influence which remote people consider better.

Hi Rob, nice to meet you Smile

Sure, I can get one, as long as it is a common USB to serial adapter and not proprietary stuff that costs me a fortune!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use off the shelf FTDI cables, you just need to modify the connector on the end of it.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16360
humnx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
We use off the shelf FTDI cables, you just need to modify the connector on the end of it.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16360

Yeah, I know these FTDI adapter cables; I played with them back in 2018 with Arduino and stuff! I got those from China on eBay. Not sure whether they're still popular and selling!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

humnx wrote:
Sure, I can get one, as long as it is a common USB to serial adapter and not proprietary stuff that costs me a fortune!

It sounded like you thought we were trying to sell you one, so I was just showing that you can get them anywhere and usually for under $10.
humnx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
humnx wrote:

It sounded like you thought we were trying to sell you one, so I was just showing that you can get them anywhere and usually for under $10.

Sorry, Rob, not at all!

TBH my brain has been over consuming stuff for the past few days Very Happy I was not sure and overwhelmed after looking at various remote models and the types of connector versions in the Remote Chart. Subconsciously, I had a thought that some remotes may need complex emulators or adapters to program!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You posted quite a long list of remotes that you have found available where you live, which is good that there are so many still available. I found RDFs for all of them, so they should all work with JP1, so I would just pick one that appeals to you.

My advice would be to get one that has "learning" as that is a very useful feature to capture the signals for a device if we don't already have an upgrade file for it.

I was hoping that someone who has used one of these remotes before would offer advice, but things have been pretty quiet around here lately.
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:44 am    Post subject: Seeking advice on buying used OFA(URC) remotes in Europe! Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
You posted quite a long list of remotes that you have found available where you live, which is good that there are so many still available. I found RDFs for all of them, so they should all work with JP1, so I would just pick one that appeals to you.

My advice would be to get one that has "learning" as that is a very useful feature to capture the signals for a device if we don't already have an upgrade file for it.

I was hoping that someone who has used one of these remotes before would offer advice, but things have been pretty quiet around here lately.

I might be biased because I worked on the RDF, but the URC-3660 and, the European version URC-3661 is my favorite remote.
It has learning, it has Back lighting it is packed with features, and you can put a Macro or Multi-Macro or a Real Time Macro on practically any key
I have replaced all of my remotes with the URC-3660
What I do when Looking at remotes is to run RMIR and click File>New>Remote Image
Pick the particular remote I'm interested in and look at what features it has
Just thought I would put my two cents worth in
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asked and answered over at AVS Forum. I agree the 3661 is really the only one worthy of consideration. The others are pretty bad.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe in linking things together, so I searched for the AVS thread and found it:
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/3288604/
humnx

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Rob, for providing the links. I bought a URC-1280 yesterday and shared my final thoughts along with the reasons behind my choice in the AVS forum post. Please check it out when you have the time.

Also, a big thanks to Dave and HamburgerHelper1. I also agree that the 3660/3661 is better, but within the same model, I prefer the Insignia ones over the ONN or EU. I've detailed my reasons in my AVS post, so please feel free to take a look!
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you're in business. See my response at AVS.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: