JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Onkyo TX-NR646 audio receiver

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanzbaerli

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:10 am    Post subject: Onkyo TX-NR646 audio receiver Reply with quote

Split from here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=103263

The Robman wrote:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26728

Thank you, the file works very good for all i need for my EPSON EH-TW9400!

Now i am trying to get my Onkyo TX-NR646 to working better. I tried all builtin codes but they just cover a very small amount of functions. There are so many device-upgrade downloads and its impossible to try them all. Especially the importantButton"Q/Home" is not working.

Any idea which one to try?

Maybe learning the important commands and convert to an upgrade is the better way?

Its a NEC protocol, device 210 and sudevice 108 and 109 code base as i see from some learned buttons.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that most of the Onkyo upgrades use that codeset (210 with 108 and 109), but as you say, trying lots of different upgrades looking for the closest would indeed take a long time. What I would do in your position is to learn all the buttons from the Onkyo remote in order to get their button codes and then build a new upgrade specifically for the TX-NR646. If you do this and get a weird mix of protocols and device codes, come back here for help. I say this because I looked at the upgrade for the Onkyo TX-NR807 which had to be split into 2 upgrades because of that mix.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=10321
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=10322
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is "Q/Home" the Quick Setup Menu button? If so, that might be OBC 83 under dev 210.108
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just uploaded a new Onkyo master file that has every button code that I could find in it.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=4780
Tanzbaerli

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your help.
It seems that i now have correctly assigned most of the commands i need for daily use.

The problem was (even for the Epson) that sometimes it was not clear that an already defined signal (in the rmdu file) must be set to a specific button of my remote model to get i working in the desired way. After learning i compared the signals to the already defined signals and mostly i got the connection and did not have to use the learned command because it was already there.

I am very astonished that the the cheap OneForAll remotes have such a power when they are used with rmir. I missed this fact for many years because the expensive harmony worked very well for a long period.

Now my setup consists of the OneForAll URC-3661 (for steering receiver, beamer and TV-box) and the original NVidia Shield remote (which i additionally need for bluetooth).

The only thing i miss on the URC-3661 is that the backlight does not turn on if i just take it. Backlight i absolutely necessary in a dark home-cinema. I always have to press the light button, sometimes i have to press it 2 times to get the light on ????
Is there any model with as many buttons as the URC-3661 and a sensor which turns the light on immedialtely without pressing a key ?
davecs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tanzbaerli wrote:
Thank you for your help.
It seems that i now have correctly assigned most of the commands i need for daily use.

The problem was (even for the Epson) that sometimes it was not clear that an already defined signal (in the rmdu file) must be set to a specific button of my remote model to get i working in the desired way. After learning i compared the signals to the already defined signals and mostly i got the connection and did not have to use the learned command because it was already there.

I am very astonished that the the cheap OneForAll remotes have such a power when they are used with rmir. I missed this fact for many years because the expensive harmony worked very well for a long period.

Now my setup consists of the OneForAll URC-3661 (for steering receiver, beamer and TV-box) and the original NVidia Shield remote (which i additionally need for bluetooth).

The only thing i miss on the URC-3661 is that the backlight does not turn on if i just take it. Backlight i absolutely necessary in a dark home-cinema. I always have to press the light button, sometimes i have to press it 2 times to get the light on ????
Is there any model with as many buttons as the URC-3661 and a sensor which turns the light on immediately without pressing a key ?

At least with the 3661 (3680, 3660 & family) the layout makes it easy to find the backlight button in the dark, so you'll just have to remember to press it twice. You get used to it. You could check out whether you can find a URC-6440 or OARUSB04G on sale, which do as you ask, and have available an extender to add more functionality too! But I find that detecting its movement to turn on the backlight isn't 100% reliable, and there's no button to simply turn it on.

Much of the power of the 3661 comes from RMIR taking advantage of the features to add favourite channels and timed macros. You'll find that most modern URC remotes don't have these features. You and your 3661 came here at a good time!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tanzbaerli wrote:

The LIGHT button on OFA remotes isn't that intuitive. When you press it, you're not turning the light itself on, you're toggling the light FEATURE. So if you left the light feature turned on, the first press is actually turning it off, so a second press is needed to turn on both the feature and the light.

It's not how I would have designed it, but it is what it is. Another option is to cover the IR window with your hand and press any button to turn on the light, which is what I do.

The Robman wrote:
Is "Q/Home" the Quick Setup Menu button? If so, that might be OBC 83 under dev 210.108

Any word on this?
Tanzbaerli

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:

The LIGHT button on OFA remotes isn't that intuitive. When you press it, you're not turning the light itself on, you're toggling the light FEATURE. So if you left the light feature turned on, the first press is actually turning it off, so a second press is needed to turn on both the feature and the light.

Very interesting, this explains the behaviour.

The Robman wrote:

It's not how I would have designed it, but it is what it is.

I agree absolutely ... not understandable why they did it this way.
It seems that with the 3661 i have the best available remote for my purposes.

The Robman wrote:

I have currently (and had yesterday) no access to rmir to check the codes but yes,
the (for me) important Quick Menu button was not assigned to any button at my remote when i tried the builtin codes.

It seems you know very much about different devices and codes. Do you own an Onkyo too?

Currently i have no more questions. All works as i expect it.
Maybe in future i will expand it with some (more) macros but i have to use it now for some time to find out what i really miss.
(beside the automatic background light)

Thanks for the help.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any Onkyo gear, I just know how to gather RM files and combine their contents, so I have created a lot of master files. As the Q/Home button was important to you, I wanted to ensure that it was in my master file and I didn't see any buttons with that name, the closest that I could see was "Quick Menu" so I wanted to verify if that was the same button.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: