JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RMIR v2.15.0 pre-release for testing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
davecs

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, I've done a factory reset on my 6440, then saved it. I then uploaded my ongoing 6440 settings back to the remote and that was fine. Everything worked as it had done before.

As I mentioned, I want to do a complete reorganisation of my 6440's devices, which means re-writing the Macros and Special Functions. Also using LKP instead of DKP throughout. To help me in this task, I started editing the new layout from scratch, but I had the old version loaded as a guide. So I had two instances of RMIR on the screen. I don't know if this was what caused some odd behaviour, but if I was doing edit on the old setup, and new on the new setup, at the same time, there were a few strange effects. Like opening the wrong entry when I went to edit a macro. When I've been through all the Special Functions, I will test this with just one instance open, to make sure it's OK. Whenever this happened, if I just clicked Cancel and tried again, the correct one opened.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand how two separate instances of RMIR could interact in this way, as they are running in different Java VMs, as I understand it. There is a possible interaction in that both instances will read the same RemoteMaster.properties file that holds initialization data such as the window size and position, the settings of persistent options and the recent file list but I cannot see how that could cause such things as opening the wrong macro for editing. I take it that the two instances were using different .rmir files, as you speak of the old and new setups. The only significant interaction I can envisage is if one opens the same .rmir file at the same time in two different instances.
davecs

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand either. I'll do a bit more work on it later today. It could be that my computer was being weird, and with a fresh bootup will behave. It used to happen a lot in my Windows days, much less often in Linux, but not totally never!
davecs

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davecs wrote:
I don't understand either. I'll do a bit more work on it later today. It could be that my computer was being weird, and with a fresh bootup will behave. It used to happen a lot in my Windows days, much less often in Linux, but not totally never!

It was definitely cross-interference between two instances of RMIR. However it only happened when I already had an edit window open in Special Functions in one instance, and then opened or started one in the other. If I closed the first one, it didn't happen. And for the majority of the time it didn't happen anyway.

The two instances were using different rmir files, but these were sharing the same rmdu files. That may be at the root of the problem.

Mind you, it was just as well that I went through the old setup and made a new one. There were Macros and Special Functions relating to devices which were no longer present. Going to test the new settings now.
davecs

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IGNORE THIS POST. I MADE A STUPID MISTAKE

It's a lot worse than I thought. I last updated my working file for 6440 on 23rd April, the erstwhile version being 2.15.4. Everything was fine. I tried creating a new layout over the last two days, with 2.15.7, and when I uploaded it, the remote didn't work. When I downloaded the image back to RMIR, the "<none>" on the global Special Functions had disappeared, and was blank. I tried to load the file created into 2.14.18 and there were some errors. Firstly, the three global macros (all controlled the Amplifier — extra), Volume Up, Volume Down and the other one selects the Optical Input on the Amp (where the TV is plugged in). They had all been converted to Pauses on the Extra key, all of length 558.15 seconds! And 8 global special functions all lost their <none> status in the left hand column. Even after I had edited to correct all these errors, and uploaded to the remote, it didn't work.

The only way I could get my remote working again was to get my rmir file from 23 April and upload it with 2.4.18.

I'm going to recharge the batteries in my 6440 and OARUSB04G so won't be able to do any further tests on them this evening. Everything seemed OK a few versions ago, has something done to correct another problem, caused a problem with the 6440?

P.S. the batteries I use in those two remotes are Lithium Ion with circuitry to restrict the voltage to 1.5v, consequently they don't have a drop-off in voltage until they're about to die. Just making sure that they don't run out tomorrow when I'll be making more tests on them.

Last edited by davecs on Fri May 05, 2023 7:38 am; edited 3 times in total
davecs

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davecs wrote:
It's a lot worse than I thought. I last updated my working file for 6440 on 23rd April, the erstwhile version being 2.15.4. Everything was fine. I tried creating a new layout over the last two days, with 2.15.7, and when I uploaded it, the remote didn't work. When I downloaded the image back to RMIR, the "<none>" on the global Special Functions had disappeared, and was blank. I tried to load the file created into 2.14.18 and there were some errors. Firstly, the three global macros (all controlled the Amplifier — extra), Volume Up, Volume Down and the other one selects the Optical Input on the Amp (where the TV is plugged in). They had all been converted to Pauses on the Extra key, all of length 558.15 seconds! And 8 global special functions all lost their <none> status in the left hand column. Even after I had edited to correct all these errors, and uploaded to the remote, it didn't work.

The only way I could get my remote working again was to get my rmir file from 23 April and upload it with 2.4.18.

I'm going to recharge the batteries in my 6440 and OARUSB04G so won't be able to do any further tests on them this evening. Everything seemed OK a few versions ago, has something done to correct another problem, caused a problem with the 6440?

P.S. the batteries I use in those two remotes are Lithium Ion with circuitry to restrict the voltage to 1.5v, consequently they don't have a drop-off in voltage until they're about to die. Just making sure that they don't run out tomorrow when I'll be making more tests on them.

Ignore the post above. My fault for starting with a new file. I needed to set the region! Uploaded the new layout again, and when nothing worked and the TV button started flashing slowly, I held down key 1 until TV flashed twice, and now it's working.

What a relief!!

(In my defence, I have to say that I don't remember doing that before. I had never started with a clean system since I first set up the remote — which is why my rmir file was full of spaghetti and needed redoing from scratch.)

P.S. There are obviously subtleties in the RMIR file that stop certain entries being backwards-compatible with 2.14.18. Since that is our stable version, we need to get the official update out soon.

P.P.S. You wanted a 6440 test, well you got one! Thorough! Now I'm going to upload an empty start file to the remote, do the region set, and download it again. That will be my empty file for future use!!

Last edited by davecs on Fri May 05, 2023 7:38 am; edited 1 time in total
davecs

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now I'm going to ask for a feature request that would have avoided all this!

I noticed that the difference between when the upload worked immediately and when it required me to set the region code, was a single byte in the first segment at 1D814. The data is 00 EE FF FF if it's not set, and 00 EE 01 FF if it's set to Region 1. I tried re-uploading the settings file and once again I had to input the region code. I tried using Preserve Original Data and changed that byte, and re-uploaded again, and everything worked straight away.

So would it be possible, on the General page for the 6440, to add an entry to set the Region Code?

The OARUSB04G doesn't have a Region Code setting.

================================

There's one slight fault: When you download from the remote, on the Special Functions tab, the "<none>" entry doesn't appear in the left hand column for any global functions, but it's there in the dialog if you press Edit and reappears if you press OK. I uploaded it straight back up to the remote and it doesn't seem to cause a problem.

There's a quirk with the 6440, presumably with the OARUSB04G too, because of the Setup/Copy uses of the WatchTV/WatchMovie buttons. You can't have Long Key Presses on them. You can, however, have Double Key Presses on them.
davecs

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confirmed this morning that having a global macro and a device-specific macro on the same key, works as described in the 6440.
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 4:18 pm    Post subject: RMIR v2.15.0 pre-release for testing Reply with quote

Quote:

So would it be possible, on the General page for the 6440, to add an entry to set the Region Code?

I do not have the 6440 but as I look at the RDF perhaps you may be able to follow the logic in the RDF and create that setting yourself
"[Settings+]
Backlight timeout=$DF 2.0.0.2.0 (Off:$2C; 3sec:$22; 6sec:$23; 9sec:$24)
Backlight on pickup=$E0 2.0.1.1.0 (Off; On)
I would do a normal download and save t it then change the RDF and see what it does to the saved file before attempting any uploads
and maybe not even upload until we hear back form the experts
Use this as a learning experience
davecs

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have a working 8910? I have one but I can't connect it to my computer, and last time I used it, it was beginning to malfunction. But I still have my old rmir files for it on my computer.

I did a factory reset and saved it, many moons ago. I loaded it into RMIR 2.15.7, and there was a problem. On the Special Functions tab, clicking New, the "Parameters" box remains blank. I tried loading in one of my old rmir files and it was OK, the Parameters box worked. I wondered if that was because there were no devices, so I added three of my old device files, TV, Set Top Box and Amplifier. Now I tried to add a Special Functions, but the same thing happened.

It made no difference whether I used the version with the extender or without, the same thing happened.

This is not a regression of the 2.15.x under test. The only other version that I have retained is the current stable, 2.14.18, and so I tested it with that, and the same problems occurred. So it must be a bug that crept in before.

I'm not sure that anyone will be starting out with a brand new 8910, and all seemed well with the file in use. So I can see no reason to hold back the release of 2.15, but it will need to be investigated.

With Graham in hospital, I don't know how or when this will be done.
jmezz13

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have a working 8910. I downloaded the existing setup from the remote and the Parameters box seemed to work fine if I understand what issue you're describing. I also loaded an old rmir setup and the Parameters box worked fine. Did you want me to do some other testing, maybe on your RMIR file?
davecs

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmezz13 wrote:
I still have a working 8910. I downloaded the existing setup from the remote and the Parameters box seemed to work fine if I understand what issue you're describing. I also loaded an old rmir setup and the Parameters box worked fine. Did you want me to do some other testing, maybe on your RMIR file?

Maybe I'm panicking unnecessarily...

Some of the extended 8910 rmir files I had, had lost their 6 special devices. I found a settings file which did have them, and created a new empty file by deleting everything except those 6 devices, and it works just fine in RMIR. I'm now happy with the extended version.

The unextended version, on the other hand, has a Special Functions tab, but when you try to add one, the box under "parameters" is blank and stays blank. Although why anyone would want to have the 8910 without the extender is beyond me!
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am getting ready to post a new development version of RMIR. The main addition is something that I have wanted to implement for a long time for the XSight Touch/Color. These remotes store their data as files, rather than in a traditional E2 area. What is shown in RMIR in the Raw Data area is actually a concatenation of the binary files. I have now added a new tab for these remotes, XSight File Data, which displays and interprets the files. I see this as an equivalent to the Segment Editor available for all other JP1.4 and later remotes. It will greatly assist me in debugging any issues arising from my changes to their RMIR support, even though I suspect it may interest few other users.

The purpose of this post, however, is to ask if there are other issues that I should deal with in this new version. Not only have I missed any new issues found while I was in hospital, but also my recollection of the state of play before I was ill is also rather hazy. So please repeat anything new or give me a link to it. I think we are getting close to something for public release, so would like this next development version to deal with anything still outstanding.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revised checksum in TCL A_C .
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barf wrote:
Revised checksum in TCL A_C .

Many thanks, I have now put that in the SVN.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: