JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lazy Boy + New TV + JP1

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gstrickland

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: Lazy Boy + New TV + JP1 Reply with quote

I've been using a Radio Shack 15-2116, modified by JP1, for about a year. But I just bought a new Sanyo 30" Widescreen HDTV (HT30744) and nobody has uploaded a remote definition file for it (or its sister models the 27" HT27744 or the 32" HT32744). I know that I could teach all the codes, one at a time, to my 15-2116, xfer them into JP1, then modify as I chose and xfer the result back to the 15-2116.

But I'm lazy.

Is there an easier way? It seems so tedious to train the codes to the existing remote, 52 buttons, 1 at a time. Surely by now, there's a way to have the Sanyo remote teach the PC without having to teach the 15-2116. Surely by now there's some software/hardware package which will let me go straight to the pc.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Lazy Boy + New TV + JP1 Reply with quote

gstrickland wrote:
nobody has uploaded a remote definition file for it

Don't confuse an RDF (used by IR and RM to determine specific attributes of a given remote) with a device upgrade file.

Quote:
But I'm lazy.

That's not something you want to proclaim around here. Confused Just think of what JP1 would be like if the experts were just as lazy!

Quote:
Is there an easier way?...
Surely by now...

Surely by now there isn't (not exactly true, but suffice it to say there are no MAINSTREAM solutions). On the other hand, there might be a Pronto CCF file that could be decoded with DecodeCCF... have you looked for one?

In the time it took you to compose your post, then wait for and read this reply, you probably could have had a complete upgrade finished, loaded, and working on the remote.
gstrickland

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Lazy Boy + New TV + JP1 Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:
gstrickland wrote:
Is there an easier way?...
Surely by now...

Surely by now there isn't (not exactly true, but suffice it to say there are no MAINSTREAM solutions). On the other hand, there might be a Pronto CCF file that could be decoded with DecodeCCF... have you looked for one?

I have looked for a Pronto CCF and found none. I've searched the forums at RemoteCentral.Com and found nothing there. I've searched the files section for JP1 at YahooGroups and found nothing.

I failed to mention that my existing 15-2116s (I have two) both have broken lcds from my 3 or 2 year old dropping (throwing?) them to my hardwood floor. One is partially readable; the other not at all. Granted I could spend about $20.00 and buy a new learning remote for the sole purpose of using it to learn the Sanyo codes, then xfer to the PC, doctor it all up, then xfer to the existing 15-2116s. And, frankly, that's probably what I'll do. I don't think that I can peform the learn function on my existing units with the lcds as damaged as they are.

There is a TheaterMaster remote (MX500) which works with IR Clone, a hardware/software bundle which lets you do exactly as I had suggested. I just assumed that the JP1 community had fashioned something similar by now.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Lazy Boy + New TV + JP1 Reply with quote

gstrickland wrote:
I don't think that I can peform the learn function on my existing units with the lcds as damaged as they are.

Assuming the remote will still accept the necessary commands to set it to learning mode, you should be able to learn, but won't have any visual feedback from the remote itself.

Quote:
I just assumed that the JP1 community had fashioned something similar by now.

The best tool for JP1 learning is, needless to say, a JP1 remote. John Fine's DecodeIR.dll works hand-in-hand with the remotes learned format, and is very reliable (and if/when it's not, he's usually quick to fix it).
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MX-500 just works with learned signals, it doesn't convert them into real upgrades, which is what we do here.

When someone finds that they are the first person in the JP1 community to use a particular device, they start to get excited because they know that they have a chance here to make a contribution rather than just take.

This person would spend 10 minutes or so learning all 52 buttons, probably in two passes of 26 button, into their learning remote to capture the data. They would then use the tools that many experts have spent countless hours putting together to create a KM or RM upgrade file. After putting in a total of 30 minutes effort or so, they can walk away knowing that they've not only helped themselves by creating an upgrade for their own remote, but they've also made things alot easier for the next person who comes along with the same device, so he will only have to spend 5 minutes or so loading the upgrade.

I see that your previous 2 posts were both requests for help (ie, you were in "take" mode) so you must feel very good that you are now in a position to "give".

Of course, in your case, the LCD screens on both of your 15-2116 remotes are broken, which will mean you will need to take a little more care when using them for learning, but it's not impossible. You will need to follow the steps outlined in the manual very carefully as you won't have the visual cues from the screen that everyone else has, but you should be able to get by.

If you think you do need a cheap learning remote just for the purpose of decoding signals, I can hook you up with a URC-8811 for just $19.
gstrickland

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Taught/Learned -- Now Need To Edit Reply with quote

Ok... I taught the RS 15-2116 all the Sanyo buttons. A few had to be put on illogical buttons, like:

-- Power on/off had to be put on the "+100" button on the 15-2116
-- The Exit key (for menu exit) was put on the "move" button of the 15-2116

because you can't train the Power or the Exit button (at least so far as I know).

The results of my training have been uploaded to Yahoo -- halfassed as they undoubtedly are. Look there for:

-- Sanyo_HT30744_HDTV_30_Inch_Widescreen.Txt
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/Diagnosis%20Area/Sanyo_HT30744_HDTV_30_Inch_Widescreen.Txt
-- README_for_Sanyo_HT30744_HDTV_30_Inch_Widescreen.Txt
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/Diagnosis%20Area/README_for_Sanyo_HT30744_HDTV_30_Inch_Widescreen.Txt

BTW, I tried to pull the JP1 file I made into Keymap-Master.XLS (v 8.10), but I get an error message: This file does not appear to be a valid Keymap-Master Device Upgrade. I thougth that the process was:

1. Teach/learn from source remote to learning remote
2. Upload to JP1 software; save as text file
3. Load text file into KeyMap-Master.XLS; massage it around; save back as text file
4. Load edited text file back to JP1 software; download to remote
5. Pop popcorn and enjoy[/url]
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Taught/Learned -- Now Need To Edit Reply with quote

gstrickland wrote:
The results of my training have been uploaded to Yahoo -- halfassed as they undoubtedly are.

A few things... first, the links you posted are no good. Please read the post about linking to Yahoo files (I fixed the links in your post). Second, the Device Codes folders are for saved KM text files, not files saved from IR (see below).

Quote:
BTW, I tried to pull the JP1 file I made into Keymap-Master.XLS (v 8.10), but I get an error message: This file does not appear to be a valid Keymap-Master Device Upgrade.

That's because KM cannot read IR files.

Quote:
I thougth that the process was

If you read the JP1 - Just How Easy Is It? tutorial, the process of making an upgrade from learned signals is explained.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You missed a big step between your 2 and 3.

You need to switch to the learned signals tab in IR.EXE and click on each signal and look at the decode. I just did that with your file. Each signal (except for the transport keys) is NEC1 protocol, device 56.

Next you start a new upgrade in KM, and put the information (NEC1 protocol, device 56) on the setp sheet. Then switch to the functions sheet and put the function name of each command together with the OBC (from the decode) of that command.

I notice the functions learned on transport (even though in TV mode) are for a different device. I assume your original TV remote is partially a universal remote and has support for some model VCR. If it's the VCR you actually have, you probably want it as a seperate device mode. If those commands serves some other purpose, maybe you need some combo for TV mode. If those transport functions aren't for your devices then of course ignore their decodes.

I checked a bunch of your TV functionsc and all the ones I checked match the built-in setup code TV/0154. So you could simply select TV/0154 and then identify the few functions missing from that setup code, and define KeyMoves for them (using the EFC numbers included in the decodes on the learned signals tab).

Alternately, you can get the 15-1994's version of TV/0154 from the devices4 spreadsheet. You can select the whole block of EFC numbers at a time in devices4 to copy and paste into the functions tab of KM. That gives you most of the upgrade you want without most of the typing. Then fill in the missing ones from the decodes.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you care, the transport keys you learned are from the setup code DVD/0670
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also a CCF file for a Sanyo Television DS25760 at
cameron-gundrum_ccf.zip
which matches those signals, so you might want to use DecodeCCF to see if that one includes any you otherwise missed.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've moved his files to the Diagnosis Area and updated his links.
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also answered this at the AVS Remote forum and posted a MakeHex/IRPanels ccf file with all 256 commands there so gstrickland can try all 256 commands with his Pronto.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: