JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Automatic resetting of "new post" flags

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CyberSimian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:45 am    Post subject: Automatic resetting of "new post" flags Reply with quote

I have registered for only a few discussion groups on the internet. For most of them, new posts are flagged, and the flag is reset when I view the post. If I leave the web site without viewing all of the new posts, the unviewed posts remain flagged on my next visit. But not on www.hifi-remote.com !

On this web site, the new-post flags are all reset, either when I leave the web site or after some set time interval (I don't know which). So if I visit this web site to look for a device upgrade, and don't want to spend the time reading the new posts, on my next visit when I do want to read the new posts, there are no longer any flags for the posts that were new on my previous visit.

I looked at the settings in my profile, but there does not seem to be a setting that controls this behaviour. The site has a "Mark all forums read" selection, so I don't see the reason for the automatic resetting of the new-post flags. Is it possible to obtain the behaviour that I want? Thank you.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short answer: no, if that's how the forum software works, that's all there is.

Long answer: if when you come back, you're looking for a device upgrade, why are you searching the forum posts rather than the file section? Most people don't announce that they're loading an upgrade file. There are about 16,000 upgrade files, can you imagine if everyone did announce them, lol ?
CyberSimian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:

Sad

The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CyberSimian wrote:
The Robman wrote:

Sad

This is the first time this has been raised as an issue in 23 years, so I don't imagine it's that bad to deal with.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can click on 7 Days up in the header to see a list of posts from the past 7 days. If you don't come here at least once a week that won't help but you could create a shortcut and change the search_time=7 to the number of days to go back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Web Site Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: