JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

USB-to-RS232 adapter cable

View previous topic :: View next topic  
McLeo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:56 pm    Post subject: USB-to-RS232 adapter cable Reply with quote

Hi:

When looking through my stash of computer detritus, I came across this USB-to-RS232 adapter cable: https://www.cablestogo.com/product/26886/1.5ft-usb-to-db9-serial-rs232-adapter-cable.

It apparently uses the Prolific PL2303HDX chipset, and Windows 10 recognizes it as a prolific device using the 3.8.41.0 driver. It apparently has a standard RS232 pinout, so PIN 2 would be RxD (JP1=6), PIN 3 would be TxD (JP1=4), PIN 5 would be GND (JP1=3), and PIN 7 would be RTS (JP1=2).

I'm certainly willing to mess around with this stuff, but I really don't understand much about it, so I have no idea if this USB-to-RS232 adapter would actually recognize/connect to a JP1 device - and I'd hate to brick my 2 JP1x remotes. Thanks for any advice.
cauer29

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main issue with that cable is that it is a true RS232 voltage level cable. Unfortunately, JP1 remotes need much lower voltage level and the signals are all inverted relative to RS232 standard.

You could in theory, fabricate an adapter to convert the +/- 6V RS232 levels to the needed 3.3V-5V levels needed by JP1.x remotes and invert in the process, but it's probably easier to simply purchase something already suitable.

C.
McLeo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick response... I figured that seemed like too easy of a solution. Looks like I'll jump onto this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014GZTCC6/ bandwagon. Since it's FTDI, I might be able to use it as a CHIRP interface as well. Thanks again for your feedback - it's great to be able to access this level of expertise.
ckeays

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:00 pm    Post subject: cables Reply with quote

I would watch out when buying these cables from China. I just got stuck with some PL2303HXA that were fakes, even though the listing says FT232!!
So I thought I was buying FT232 cables when the fakes were shipped to me.
They are not supported in windows unless you use a very old driver and go through great lengths to install the driver manually. I think windows updates change the driver because it no longer works.

If you buy it on Amazon you should be able to get a refund if the cables are fake.
McLeo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay... I got the cable, and windows 10 recognizes it as a FTDI serial port. One last question: the remote I'm going to plug it into (a Charter 1060) is listed as a 'JP2' remote. Am I correct in assuming that the pinout (in?) is the same as listed for JPx?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McLeo wrote:
Okay... I got the cable, and windows 10 recognizes it as a FTDI serial port. One last question: the remote I'm going to plug it into (a Charter 1060) is listed as a 'JP2' remote. Am I correct in assuming that the pinout (in?) is the same as listed for JPx?

Yes
McLeo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to follow up on this, I did end up buying the FTDI cable on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014GZTCC6/), and it seems to be working well. Windows 10 recognizes it and assigned a driver from 7/5/2021 (2.12.36.4). The plastic for the individual DuPont plugs appears to be polystyrene and can be glued into the correct configuration using model glue and/or superglue, which is kind of handy.

My devices are recognized by RMIR, and I've been able to mess around with different settings, although the convolutions of the software and documentation will keep me busy for a while. That's not a criticism of all the work done over the years on this project. I thank all who have contributed to JP1, and particular to those who have responded to this post. You'll be hearing more from me in the beginners forum (even though I've been using this software for a few years now.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: