JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best current JP1 remote?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cpurick

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:44 pm    Post subject: Best current JP1 remote? Reply with quote

I have a 15-1994, which I first programmed with IR over 2 years ago now. This is one of the best remotes ever made.

Wondering if anyone could tell me which current JP1 remotes are even better? (Not interested in Kameleon -- stick w/ hardbuttons.)

LCD is optional, as is RF extension capability, though they're both a plus.

Expandability/flexibility is probably the highest priority. My key-move/macro RAM has always been quite full.

And, of course, the number of buttons with useful labels. I hate having to memorize buttons that don't do what they say -- it's almost as bad as trying to teach them to my wife!

I'd be interested to know what everyone recommends.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking for a remote as similar to the 15-1994 as possible, with optional LCD and RF, the choice is simple...

15-2116 (8 device learner w/ LCD) or...
15-2117 (ditto, also with RF)

The only downside to these two remotes is that they don't have the four "smart" keys that have proven so useful on the 15-1994.

If you really want the smart keys, you could try the OFA versions of these, but physically, they look completely different to the 15-1994 ...

URC-8811 - 8 device learner
URC-8910 - ditto w/ LCD
URC-9910 - ditto w/ LCD and RF

Rob
http://www.hifi-remote.com
cpurick

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry -- aside from the manual telling you to use them for storing learned codes, and the fact that they had no confusing labels, was there anything special about smart keys? (Nothing that comes to me off the top of my head.)

What's the memory capacity of these models -- more importantly, can you upgrade them, and how much more space does that get you?

One thing that would be pretty neat would be if someone could figure out how to ceate custom keypads. This is one of the things where you'd have to sell a lot of cheap units to justify the relatively high cost of the tooling. Still, someone with access to the right kind of machines might be able to come up with a better assortment of buttons that would be worth buying.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing inherently special about the smart keys, they are just incredibly useful for macros and other special programming.

The 15-1994 and the newer remotes I mentioned all have a 2k EEPROM memory chip. They are all JP1 compatible and so are therefore upgradeable. The 2k memory is more than enough for almost all users when the remote is programmed using JP1. The only people who are likely to run out of memory are those that are using a TON of special protocols, etc.

Rob
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since he's awfully worried about memory space I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that the 88xx family will support an 8K eeprom. Anyone who can use that much and run out must be using his remote to walk the dog, mow the lawn, do the dishes, flush the toilet, AND put the seat down. Wink

Jim
asinsh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 points:

1. If you are using memory in an efficient manner, I just don't believe you are close to running out of memory. I'm controlling something like 7 devices with my 2116 (used to be doing it with a 1994), and I think Rob was up to something like 12 devices. Have you done upgrade codes to eliminate the need for most keymoves? Have you figured out all learned codes? And have you used an extender to free up the space reserved for learned codes (actually, Rob says using an extender is cheating, but we all know he's crazy Wink ).

2. You are right that it would be nice to have custom keyboard faces. But you can get a pretty professional look on your own if you use something like a p-touch labelmaker (you can pick one up at Staples), which makes labels that are micothin with fonts as small as you want, with lots of different color schemes that match most things you would want. So, for example, I got tape for the p-touch that was black with gold lettering (the same color scheme as the 1994)...I made tiny labels that I placed over the original lettering on the remote and it was very very hard to see that those weren't the remote's original lettering.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: