JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RemoteChart V24
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jim_henry_esq
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
was it your intention to put the every remote in history in the popular and current chart?

No! That certainly would make a lie of the title "popular and current".

I am still trying to figure out a good way to organize the Remote Chart wiki page.

The thought I am currently mulling is to add a third table at the top. It might be labeled "Available JP1 Remotes". The criteria for inclusion on that list would be availability from a mainstream retailer and support by RMIR. I have a start on such a chart created by scraping the One For All site for remotes still listed and then filtering for those still available from a retailer and supported by RMIR. It looks like there would be less than 2 dozen remotes that make this list.

The "Popular and Current" table might be retitled "Supported by RMIR" and updated and edited accordingly. A problem with updating is that there are over 100 unlisted remotes that are supported. Most are probably already obsolete. I find it hard to justify spending time trying to fill in most of the columns. The table currently includes remotes with an incomplete RDF in the files section and I am unsure if those should be pruned. At a minimum, the incomplete status should probably be flagged.

I haven't given any thought to changing the "Original Chart".
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to maintain the Original excel table as the master for all time. Fill in what you can, leave the rest blank. Then grab a subset of those for the "Current" table if there should be such a thing. I added it so newbies didn't have to wade through the whole list of obsolete remotes to find a remote they could still buy. I'm thinking the easiest way to maintain is simply add a column we can filter by, then copy/paste the filtered list to the "current" table.

The "current" list really only needs make/model, interface type, number of devices, learning, just the basics.

Thanks again for taking this on.
jim_henry_esq
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
We need to maintain the Original excel table as the master for all time.

Very helpful note! I had been thinking the Original table was superseded by the Current table. With this insight it seems like what I should be doing is to add everything I can find that is missing in the Original table to bring it up to date and then replace the Current table with a small table of remotes that are "readily" available extracted from the Original table.

I compared the Original excel table as posted in the Wiki to the Old (original chart) tab in RemoteChart_C.xls as posted in the file section. The file table is marked Version 25.1 and dated 3/11/2010. I found 3 remotes in the Wiki table that are not in the Excel sheet:
    Philips SRP5004
    URC-6440 (R00/R01)
    URC-6540BEO

This suggests that RemoteChart_C.xls as posted in the file section is not as current as the Excel file that was used to generate the Original table in the Wiki.

I have updated my copy of RemoteChart_C.xls to include the 3 additional remotes so I am pretty sure I now have an Excel file that would replicate the Original table in the Wiki. Should I proceed with this Excel file or is there a more recent Excel file I should start from?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The file linked in the first post should be the master, unless Rob says otherwise. I haven’t updated it in years.
dtrump

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until just now, I had only been looking at the Wiki, so downloaded RemoteChart_C.xls. I find the two URC remotes that Jim noted, but not the Philips SRP5004. The revision number on the copy of the spreadsheet is 28 as edited by mdavej in October 2015.

As an aside, eBay has a listing for a URC 7880 R00 that indicates it as "new" at $39.99. I don't find that in either the Wiki or the spreadsheet. Is it a known remote without JP1? Or is it yet another lurking to be discovered? I have no interest in it, so if anyone is curious enough to spend the money, snap it up.
_________
Dick
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dtrump wrote:
Until just now, I had only been looking at the Wiki, so downloaded RemoteChart_C.xls. I find the two URC remotes that Jim noted, but not the Philips SRP5004. The revision number on the copy of the spreadsheet is 28 as edited by mdavej in October 2015.

As an aside, eBay has a listing for a URC 7880 R00 that indicates it as "new" at $39.99. I don't find that in either the Wiki or the spreadsheet. Is it a known remote without JP1? Or is it yet another lurking to be discovered? I have no interest in it, so if anyone is curious enough to spend the money, snap it up.
_________
Dick
I personally hate the 7880, but it's been a supported JP1 remote for years. I still have one in my closet somewhere.
Ed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
I personally hate the 7880, but it's been a supported JP1 remote for years. I still have one in my closet somewhere.

Forgive the intrusion, but isn't the 7880 one of the relatively recent remotes with the Bluetooth upload/download capability (there are a couple others). If so, it is still available here at Best Buy for $50, so $39.99 isn't a bad deal. I have two of them. I spent a fair bit of time with Graham working through some Bluetooth and othe issues. I like this remote, but I don't use it because my OARUSB04G with the extender works so well. It's "on deck" to replace the OAR should it ever quit.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dtrump wrote:

The Wiki list/spreadsheet isn't the definitive list of JP1 remotes, the definitive list is the RDF folder that comes with RM.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed wrote:
mdavej wrote:

Forgive the intrusion, but isn't the 7880 one of the relatively recent remotes with the Bluetooth upload/download capability (there are a couple others). If so, it is still available here at Best Buy for $50, so $39.99 isn't a bad deal. I have two of them. I spent a fair bit of time with Graham working through some Bluetooth and othe issues. I like this remote, but I don't use it because my OARUSB04G with the extender works so well. It's "on deck" to replace the OAR should it ever quit.
Yes, it's otherwise identical to the old non-BT Smart Control which is pretty terrible IMO. I find it really awkward to use due to the device selection method and ergos over all. I personally would never buy another. But if you like it, that's all that matters.
Ed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Ed wrote:
mdavej wrote:

Yes, it's otherwise identical to the old non-BT Smart Control which is pretty terrible IMO. I find it really awkward to use due to the device selection method and ergos over all. I personally would never buy another. But if you like it, that's all that matters.

Ah, I didn't realize it was identical to a much older remote. There are a few annoying things about it that I didn't like, but I did like the "extended macros" it has, which make it a credible potential replacement (to me). I did not realize the non-BT version of this remote had extended macros.
dtrump

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluetooth, huh? That explains the "Easily setup your remote by app" on the box. No mention of BT. None of my (mostly antique) collection carries the BT feature.

The absence of the 7880 and other current remotes on the Wiki & spreadsheet makes Jim Henry's efforts more important. Honestly, I hadn't thought to look in the RDF folder as the master list of remotes. I know it has been mentioned even in this thread, but I had managed to ignore that. Shame on me.
jim_henry_esq
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still dinking around with my effort to update the JP1 Chart despite my recent silence. My current idea for an update at least passes the test of including the URC-7880. Wink

I have done two things of significance:

1) I have compared the Wiki full chart to what is in the RDF folder and added an entry for everything that I identified as missing by a comparison of signatures. (Graham, am I correct in assuming that the way the signatures are "stored" is in the RDF file names?}

2) I repurposed the "Still made" and "Year" columns to "Retailer" and "Year" columns where my intent is to identify a major retailer and a year when the remote was available for purchase. It would be my further intention to erase these entries when a remote is no longer available for purchase from a major retailer. It would also be my intention to extract a small chart based on available for purchase from a major retailer as the Current JP1 chart.

Fortunately for maintenance of the JP1 chart, but otherwise unfortunately, the number of JP1 remotes available for purchase from a major retailer seems to be a pretty short list. What I have so far are the remotes listed on the OneForAll websites that are also still listed as available for purchase from a major retailer. There are a few others I know about that I will add. Others can be added as people spot the omissions.

There are a few remotes that are available but seem to lack RDFs. I'll list them here in case anyone has something to say about them:
  • SKY101 Sky Digibox
  • SKY120 Sky+ HD
  • SKY125 Sky+ HD
  • URC-7115 Evolve TV
  • URC-7125 Evolve 2

Comments about the direction I am heading before I unleash the bull in the china shop?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good to me, and yes, the first X digits of an RDF name are the remote signature. One thing to be aware of there is that there is an implied wildcard in that format. For example, if the signature is 12341234 you would be correct to expect an RDF called "12341234 Remote Name.rdf" but this would also work "1234123 Remote Name.rdf" the idea being that maybe there are remotes with signatures 12341230, 12341231 and 12341232 that could all share the same RDF. At least, that used to be the case back in the IR.exe days, I'm not 100% it's still the case with RMIR.

Also, when people create extenders, they create new RDFs with new sigs, but it's still the same physical remote, so don't end up listing a remote twice just because it's got an extender (unless that's your intention).
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of things.

There are lots of current JP1 remotes that aren't oneforall brand (ONN, Insignia, Inteset, OEM cable and TV remotes (Atlas for example), etc.). Even DirecTV remotes are technically JP1-able, but with great difficulty, so do we include those?

There are also lots of oneforall brand remotes that are available only in the US or only in Europe or not available anywhere.

One RDF can include several remote models like Rob said. So you're going to have to look inside each one to get the full list. Ditto for extenders.
jim_henry_esq
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
There are lots of current JP1 remotes that aren't oneforall brand (ONN, Insignia, Inteset, OEM cable and TV remotes (Atlas for example), etc.). Even DirecTV remotes are technically JP1-able, but with great difficulty, so do we include those?

My goals are to add obvious omissions to the big list and to make a small list that is useful for those getting started with JP1. I am not trying to be a completionist so I am not digging for entries that don't fall into my lap. Using the test of available for purchase from a major retailer severely limits what makes it onto the short list. My thinking is that as long as I am only adding, anything added is better than nothing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: