JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

urc-3680
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - New Remotes & RDFs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: urc-3680 Reply with quote

HamburgerHelper1 wrote:
Package is in the mail

Very many thanks.
mike.s

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:42 pm    Post subject: Can't Key Move to device buttons? Reply with quote

I have a 3660, but am posting here because they're the same, only different, and there's more activity here than in the 3660 thread.

I understand the limitation of not being able to assign macros to device buttons. But, I really want to - with my existing remotes, I use macros on them to change inputs to the appropriate device.

So, I thought to use a key move to accomplish that. RMIR allows creating a key move to device buttons. My thinking was to use that to key move a macro key to a device button. e.g. device STB, key Stream, and a macro key which does the appropriate switch. So, when I'm using Tivo (STB), and hit Stream (Roku), it runs the macro and switches to the Roku. But, it doesn't work, it seems to have no effect on the device button.

Is there actually an ability to key move to device buttons, as allowed by RMIR (and I'm doing something wrong)? Or is this just an oversight and device buttons shouldn't even be offered as a choice?
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:54 pm    Post subject: urc-3680 Reply with quote

By chance do you use activities?
I believe you can put macro's on the activity keys
mike.s

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can, but there are more devices I need to switch between than activity keys (without using shifted ones). Plus, I'd prefer it work like my other remotes.
dtrump

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Mike.s on the issue of the "Activity" keys. One of the problems of using them is that it imposes the combination of devices that are selected from 5 or 6 combinations for each of the activities. Even if creating a macro that should leave the remote on a specific device by making that selection the last in the macro, when the macro is finished, the assigned combination reverts. In my case, I would like to use at least two of the activities to use the #2 combination of Watch TV. It also enforces the "Press and Hold" requirement for Power. I just want to turn on/off the TV, nothing else.

My solution has been to use the 3 App buttons to create two activities the way I want them with the 3rd red button serving as a power button that operates with a simple press. This is not ideal but I haven't found a way to use the activity buttons in as logical fashion as I would like.

Dick
dtrump

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have changed my mind about the Activity keys and the URC3680 has just won the battle of what remote to use for a new viewing room that will happen when we finish our basement remodel.

It just occurred to me to change devices assigned to the combination selected by the Activity key. The new room will not initially have a separate audio system, only the TV with a Tivo STB and a Roku for streaming. But the STB and Roku will be shared in an adjacent exercise room with an IR extender to allow controlling those two devices and an outboard HDMI switcher. By assigning the same TV device upgrade, I can force the remote to override the arbitrary assignments made by the Activity key. So in essence, it changes the device combinations used.

I had been fighting how to do one button switching of "Activities" with a URC10820 and just couldn't come up with the right combination of Macros and Key Moves. The 3680 solved that. The Insignia equivalent to the 3680 is an excellent solution at $19.99 each. It just might end up replacing all my Harmony remotes in other rooms.

Dick
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:52 am    Post subject: urc-3680 Reply with quote

Quote:
change devices assigned to the combination selected by the Activity key.

Yes that is probably the best solution.
For instance the "DVD" device is not included in any activity so instead assign the device you want to use for the activity to the "stream" or "BluRay " device key
dtrump

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With that trick in mind, one could wish for more Activity buttons. It will work fine for a limited setup, but a more elaborate system would suffer. An 8 device remote suggests many sources and combinations. Without macros on the device keys, it really does limit the flexibility.

Still some thinking to do to see how I might expand the obvious capabilities.
jim_henry_esq
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:45 am    Post subject: urc-3680 and kin as the 2023 remote of choice for newbies? Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

First an introduction. I am Jim Henry and I first used JP1 a looooong time ago using the Radio Shack 15-1994 and a parallel port JP1 interface, pre-dating Tommy's Simple Interface. I became one of the hackers who hacked a number of JP1 remotes just to see if it could be done. Almost all of my involvement with JP1 pre-dates this Forum, which is why you hardly see my name around here. I drifted away from JP1 as my family's Home Theatre devolved into just a smart TV and the included remote was all they wanted to deal with.

Now I am back. My daughter just bought a house and the previous owner left their home theatre installation with the house. It is the classic component approach to home theatre with a TV, 2 audio receivers, and a blu ray player, along with their 4 remote controls. My poor son-in-law is traumatized just trying to watch a football game on this system. It took me about 15 seconds looking at what he was dealing with to decide he needs a JP1 capable remote.

Next stop was hifi-remote.com to see what the state of JP1 remotes was today. I was delighted to find that Rob is still carrying the torch and that intrepid hackers have continued to keep up with what UEI has been doing so that there still are JP1 remotes available today for doing all the magic that is possible with JP1.

At this point I think I have forgotten more than I ever knew about JP1. A feat made possible by the advances that seem to be more than I ever knew. I had to view JP1 like a newbie. A newbie who was able to make sense of JP1 quickly, but a newbie nonetheless.

Maybe because I had a vague familiarity with the JP1 landscape, or maybe just by dumb luck, I was able to focus in on the URC-3660 and URC-3680 as the leading contenders for my new JP1 project pretty quickly. I feel confident that I have made a good choice.

Now that I am up and running as a reasonably functional newbie, it occurred to me that it might be worthwhile to create some new documentation along the lines of "Getting Started with JP1 in 2023". While all the information is here, it is woven in with a lot of obsolete and rapidly becoming obsolete information and discussions of developing support for new remotes. I am pretty sure that all but the most tenacious of the JP1 curious give up before they ever get to the point of acquiring a JP1 remote and interface.

For those still with me after this long ramble, two questions:

1) Are JP1 remotes still of enough interest to a new audience to justify the time and effort it would take to create new entry level documentation?

2) If the answer to question 1 is yes, should the 3660/3661/3680 and the rebranded and related versions of these remotes be the focus of such documentation?

I look forward to coming back to JP1 hacking. Nice to see a few familiar names (Hi! Rob) and a lot of new names doing outstanding work (in particular, Hi! Graham).

Jim Henry
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jim, welcome back, did you notice that your 20 year anniversary with the JP1 forum is coming up? Of course, your actual JP1 anniversary dates back to the Yahoo/eGroup days, so it's probably already passed. It was in Oct 2000 that HW Hackr (Dan Nelson) first posted that he'd discovered how to use the JP1 connection port in these remotes.

There aren't many JP1 remotes on the market these days, obviously Radio Shack has long since gone, and OFA got sold to Audio Research and they don't seem to have done much with it, so yeah, the 3660/3680 remote is one of the very few still on the market.

Only you can decide if it's worth spending your time doing documentation, but I'd love it if you did. Maybe I need to buy one of these just so I can answer questions on it too. I have just created an account for you on our Wiki site, so you should get an email with a temporary password, so look out for that.
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:57 pm    Post subject: urc-3680 Reply with quote

The Inteset 422 is still available on Amazon But I think the 3660 and 3680 are better choices

https://www.amazon.com/Inteset-Universal-Backlit-Learning-Streamers/dp/B00M4I1BAY
dtrump

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim

In my opinion, yes. Like you, I am a fallen JP1'er that has recently come back. I thought I would remember more about the various tricks that I had used previously, but the combination of age (78), new remotes & new tools has me working to get back up to speed.

I'm probably past the "newbie" stage at this point, but with a long history of various documentation and messaging, it is hard to know where or what to look at for a given need.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus the JP1 world is very different now compared to what it was like in 2003, back then we were mostly dealing with EEPROM based remotes and "simple" parallel port cables. That was before the flash remotes first appeared and we've been through several generations of those. Then we discovered that simple FTDI cables that you can buy ready made worked as JP1 cables for the flash remotes, you just had to change the connector. Plus, from the remote side, things like "Activities" also appeared.

Last edited by The Robman on Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
RSF07

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Plus the JP1 world is very different now compared to what it was like in 2003, back then we were mostly dealing with EEPROM based remotes and "simple" parallel port cables. That was before the flash remotes first appeared and we've been through several generations of those. Then we discovered that simple FTDI cables that you can buy ready made worked as JP1 cables for the flash remotes, you just had to change the connector. Plus, from the remote side, things like "Activities" also appeared.

How do you fixthe connector? Also, which JP1 cable are you using?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSF07 wrote:
How do you fix the connector? Also, which JP1 cable are you using?

Do you have a connector that needs fixing?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - New Remotes & RDFs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: