JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Microsoft MCE Keyboard Remote
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rsbrux

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Why can't you use the standard MCE profile on your FLIRC and just use those media keys? I ran WMC for years with all the media keys. Seems like we're re-inventing the wheel here.

That was what I tried first, without success. I posted several supprt requests on the FLIRC site without receiving a response. Have you had any success witrh the FLIRC MCE profile?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsbrux wrote:
mdavej wrote:
Why can't you use the standard MCE profile on your FLIRC and just use those media keys? I ran WMC for years with all the media keys. Seems like we're re-inventing the wheel here.

That was what I tried first, without success. I posted several supprt requests on the FLIRC site without receiving a response. Have you had any success witrh the FLIRC MCE profile?
Yes, but it was several years ago. I don't remember the exact details, but I didn't have to do anything special. Perhaps the application you're controlling simply doesn't recognize those commands.
rsbrux

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Yes, but it was several years ago. I don't remember the exact details, but I didn't have to do anything special. Perhaps the application you're controlling simply doesn't recognize those commands.

The application I'm controlling (MediaPortal) has responded perfectly to various RC6 remotes (and universal remotes programmed to act as such) for over 15 years. I got the idea to use FLIRC as a keyboard from a fellow MediaPortal (MP) user. I can control MP just fine with ordinary keystrokes, but I was interested in extending the keyboard DU just for the sake of completeness and as a service to the community. Also, the Windows system on which I run MP has developed a nasty habit of starting up muted, which currently compel me to get out a real Windows RF keyboard to fix. However, I now have a strategy for adding the Windows media keys (see earlier post above). I just haven't had time to try it out yet. Also, It will only help those using a FLIRC IR receiver, instead of being the full replacement of a Windows keyboard I was aiming for.
JHBrandt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think @rsbrux needs a way to send "Multimedia" keys from his remote. For example, multimedia key code $E2 is (supposedly) the Mute function. More info below:
vickyg2003 wrote:
My current scheme doesn't work for the following codes, but really how much do you really want to type with a remote?
mdavej wrote:
Code:

80 - Keyboard Volume Up
81 - Keyboard Volume Dn

Agreed, everything listed above $81 was pretty useless, at least for English keyboards, but $80 and $81 have obvious importance. There are no standard keyboard keys that perform the volume up/down function. These keys were added by Microsoft long after the PS/2 keyboards became standard on PCs.

I'm necro'ing this old post because it seems relevant to the recent discussion.

The Kodi.wiki article linked in the quoted post also lists some more high-bit functions. Edit: On further reading, it turns out there are two types of keys: there are "normal" keys, the kind the MCE keyboard upgrade generates flawlessly, and also "multimedia" keys, which we haven't figured out how to send (yet)! As discovered, "normal" keys are 8 bits plus a 4-bit modifier for the shift state. All but the two listed above actually fit in 7 bits.

"Multimedia" keys have their own key codes, and can go above $FF. Here are the multimedia keys listed at the Kodi.wiki:
Code:

Code    Action
0B0    sends WM_APPCOMMAND 46 - play
0B1    sends WM_APPCOMMAND 47 - pause
0B2    sends WM_APPCOMMAND 48 - record
0B3    sends WM_APPCOMMAND 49 - fast forward
0B4    sends WM_APPCOMMAND 50 - rewind
0B5    sends keypress VK_MEDIA_NEXT_TRACK
0B6    sends keypress VK_MEDIA_PREV_TRACK
0B7    sends keypress VK_MEDIA_STOP
0CD    sends keypress VK_MEDIA_PLAY_PAUSE
0E2    sends keypress VK_VOLUME_MUTE
0E5    sends WM_APPCOMMAND 20 - toggle bass boost
0E9    sends keypress VK_VOLUME_UP
0EA    sends keypress VK_VOLUME_DOWN
152    sends WM_APPCOMMAND 21 - increase bass
153    sends WM_APPCOMMAND 19 - decrease bass
154    sends WM_APPCOMMAND 23 - increase treble
155    sends WM_APPCOMMAND 22 - decrease treble
183    sends keypress VK_LAUNCH_MEDIA_SELECT
18A    sends keypress VK_LAUNCH_MAIL (Opens default mail app on Windows)
192    sends keypress VK_LAUNCH_APP2 (Opens Calculator on Windows)
194    sends keypress VK_LAUNCH_APP1 (Opens [My] Computer on Windows)
209    "Info" (appears to be mouse-related)

The following interact with the default Web browser on Windows:
221    sends keypress VK_BROWSER_SEARCH
223    sends keypress VK_BROWSER_HOME
224    sends keypress VK_BROWSER_BACK
225    sends keypress VK_BROWSER_FORWARD
226    sends keypress VK_BROWSER_STOP
227    sends keypress VK_BROWSER_REFRESH
22A    sends keypress VK_BROWSER_FAVORITES
Don't worry too much about the WM_... and VK_... labels; those are Windows message codes unrelated to the OBCs on the left. But the functions they perform should be clear from the above. Note that OBC $CD is a play/pause toggle, while $B0 and $B1 are discrete Play and Pause functions. Also, multimedia functions $E9 and $EA appear to be redundant with "regular" keys $80 and $81, so we may not need $80 or $81. My MCE remote appears to send $E9 and $EA.

Depending on the software you're running, more of those may be redundant. For example, in Windows Media Center, Ctrl-Shift-B is equivalent to Rewind, Ctrl-Shift-F is equivalent to Fast Forward, and Ctrl-R is equivalent to Record, so you don't need $B2-$B4 above. I would try both codes in MediaPortal. I'd expect it to use the same codes as WMC for compatibility with MCE remotes, but you never know.

Last edited by JHBrandt on Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:59 pm; edited 5 times in total
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need this upgrade and protocol for full keyboard functionality:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14728
JHBrandt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
I think you need this upgrade and protocol for full keyboard functionality:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14728

Thank you. Believe it or not, there are a few Windows apps that perform actions when you press, say, the left or right Ctrl key - even without pressing any other key! So if someone is using one of those apps, they need to be able to send left-Ctrl, right-Ctrl, etc. - not just send a key modified by holding down Ctrl. Unfortunately, those keys require OBC's above $80.

It's possible the same is true for Linux users, although I'm much less familiar with the Linux world. So for completeness, we need to be able to send at least a few OBCs above $80, as well as the "multimedia" codes mentioned above.

I have an MCE remote that generates a few multimedia codes. I'll see if my Inteset remote can learn them so I can upload them here.
noski

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:

Use my MCE.xls spreadsheet as a guide, especially the "Checksum" tab.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14692

Thank you "The Robman" and all others that have contributed to this thread.

I had the desire to control the mouse on my Windows PC via an RTI remote, however RTI uses Pronto Hex codes.
I am able to generate compatible codes via IrScrutinizer using the "MCIR-2-mouse" protocol, however it takes parameter values labelled F,C,y,x,R,L.

It took me many hours to understand the details of the protocol and how to calculate what was needed by IrScrutinizer, but with the help of Roman's spreadsheet as a foundation, I was able to get a working solution. Robman's checksum calculations were key.

I have uploaded my extension to Robman's calculation spreadsheet here - http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26787
I hope others may find it useful.

After all this however, I did not end up using this method for controlling the mouse as it is not flexible. While I am able to generate a set of codes that move the mouse a certain distance, this static distance will likely not satisfy all scenarios.
With a higher distance/speed value, the mouse moves at a reasonable speed, but it likely won't line up with what you want.
With a lower distance/speed value, you get the finer control, but the movement is painfully slow.

The solution I ended up with was to enable Mouse Keys in Windows and use the keyboard codes for the numpad. The Mouse Keys method has the acceleration functionality which gives the fine grain control with short presses and faster mouse movement when held down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Keyboards All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
Page 16 of 16

Jump to: