JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Look for some suggestions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
legzrwheelz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:24 pm    Post subject: Look for some suggestions Reply with quote

Hey guys, currently, I have an Acoustic Research X-Sight Color and Touch that have seen better days. I absolutely love the power, customization and control I have over these remotes using the RMIR software. So I've come here seeking suggestions for a device upgrade with these requirements:

1) color touchscreen
2) set custom icons
3) JP-1 compatible (lol, duh)

I love that I can set custom icons for my screen using custom functions I've set on my HTPC making it ridiculously intuitive for any user, namely my small children.

I am open to any/all suggestions. However, before I waste anybody's time by not taking suggestions, I feel it is important to say that I will not consider any remotes that don't have color screens and customizable icons, touchscreen is negatable but would definitely be ideal. I found the Nevo s70, can I achieve the same level of customization? Here is a link to a decent deal I found https://www.ebay.com/itm/144358644608

A few examples of how my remotes are configured:

Instead of setting up "Activities", I just customize the device I am controlling. eg, my HTPC is called HTPC. It has all the functions I could possibly need to use, including other device's functions.

"HTPC" is set-up to adjust my receiver's volume while having a soft key to switch to the correct input along with switching to my TV's correct HDMI input,. Same with my XBOX 360, XBONE and PS4.

Send hotkeys I have setup within AutoHotKey on my HTPC that is running 24/7 from system start. It handles the following: Launch Kodi, LaunchBox (gaming frontend), a few games like Fortnite, GTA V, Zelda BOTW(so my children can play the games without any fuss), Netflix, YouTube TV and YouTube Kids (setup within a portable installation of Chrome), and a "panic" button that sends "Shift+Escape" to shut down anything that may be hanging in the background (little tools that I use that launches with chrome, Kodi etc. making my HTPC as appliance-like as possible (like controller companion for navigating YouTube with an Xbox One controller, amongst many other apps). If YT is already running and say I launch Kodi, then I want to switch back to YT, I just tap the YT button and it brings it back into focus. All of that is done using just 9 different softkeys.

There are buttons for subtitles along with changing the audio track of a movie within Kodi as well.

Oh and since my computer is shelled using Kodi (meaning there is no start menu, desktop or explorer windows), I set a hotkey to launch explorer (should I ever need to work on my computer for any reason) and if it is open, I press it again and the process gets terminated and then runs a command that frees up system resources.

I am not flexing about my computer, I promise, I feel that providing all this extra information will assist in making better suggestions

Harmony remotes are not an option for me. The harmony's RC-6 (Windows Media Center) support is abysmal....seriously, a 2+ second delay on a single button press is completely unacceptable. It has ALWAYS been this way too, since my first harmony remote (For Xbox 360). I have tried numerous different harmony remotes over the years and the only ones I have actually had no issues with are the X-Sight remotes, I assume that all JP-1 remotes made by Universal Electronics perform just as good as the X-Sight.

Off topic: I plan on getting an Elgato stream deck next month for added quick control, should I be right in front of my TV and want to launch something without my remote in hand, I can just press the corresponding button and it gets launched. It will also make give me something to control my HTPC should my remote get lost by the kids.

Lastly, if anybody is interested in my script, I would be happy to share it.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but Xsight is the only one that meets your criteria.

If you're not opposed to using a phone or tablet as a remote, TheHomeRemote is very flexible, powerful and cheap. You could even control your PC (and most other devices) via IP instead of IR.
legzrwheelz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Sorry, but Xsight is the only one that meets your criteria.

If you're not opposed to using a phone or tablet as a remote, TheHomeRemote is very flexible, powerful and cheap. You could even control your PC (and most other devices) via IP instead of IR.

I have no problem using a phone or whatever if I can actually control my PC the same way my xsight does. I'm checking out out RN thanks!

I am curious about this remotehttps://www.amazon.com/Acoustic-Research-ARRU449-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B000XTP3XW, can I program it in the same way as my X-Sight, using RMIR and setting custom keys and icons?

Oh yeah, one last question, if I were to get a harmony remote and teach it all of the functions from my X-Sight, would the dealy still be present?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea about the linked remote, but unlikely JP1-able. But we can get some clues from the manual if you can find and post a link.

Harmony has no delays except the configurable ones between commands/devices. The delay must be on the receiving end, in which case, teaching won't help. Prove this to yourself by looking at the IR LED through your smartphone camera when you press a button.
legzrwheelz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I will search for the remote's manual and post it here. As for the harmony, I am going to have to beg to differ. For clarity, I am referring to using Harmony remotes with a PC using the official MCE rc6 receivers. I have been using HTPCs for years, I have had 4 since the Original Xbox XBMC days and at multiple points over the years I have had both an Xsight 15 and 18 device as well as a few different Harmony remotes(not all at once but different periods, hoping the harmony issue would get resolved). I remember on multiple occasions doing these tests over where I would have one of each in both of my hands. I would cycle through my library on Kodi as well as just fiddling around in explorer (to ensure it wasn't kodi/xbmc being a PITA) and it would go smoothly, without any kind of delay using my Xsight. However, with (any of the) harmony remotes (over the years) in my other hand, it would "spool up" and then "release" a massive amount of inputs all at once. I would have to push the directional keys individually for it to resemble smooth browsing. That is hardly ideal for a library consisting of 1600+ movies and 1200 games (in launchbox)., back then I had a Harmony One. I have always adjusted the inter-device delay as well as the other one which evades me currently. No matter which Harmony remote i have used, it has always been the same. I have had the XB360 Harmony, the color screen equivalent (I believe it was the 720, can't really remember), the Harmony One, Harmony Touch and Harmony Elite, those are all fairly spaced apart with much time to resolve this issue and it has remained the same. I honestly cannot remember if I ever tried training the remotes, it seems like it would've crossed my mind at least once but I cannot recall, now I want to try. If it works then I will get a harmony touch...I just looked up the XB360 harmony and its DIRT CHEAP.....I am willing to take a loss just to find out. If anything, I can let my son use it in his room...DANG, I am looking at the Harmony One and thats only 20 bucks....My curiosity is gonna cost me 20 bucks...

Edit: OOOH, I just found a BNIB (brand new in box!!!)X-Sight touch on eBay for $89 + 13 s/h. I bought it. I had to. My old 18 device needs to retire and a BNIB X-Sight is hard to find. I will still get the harmony one though as I love the feel and construction of those remotes, if teaching it my Xsight's commands eliminates the delay, I will grab either a Harmony Touch or Harmony Elite since those are so nice to hold. Have you seen those Yio 2 remotes???
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All delays in Harmony are configurable. Sounds like you never configured them properly. I've also used several Harmonys in my home theater PC setup using MCE codes and never experienced any delays with any remote.

In theHomeRemote, I think I used the following for MCE control over IP:
https://tig.github.io/mcec/documentation.html
It was also instantaneous.

I used to do what you're doing, but retired my PC years ago and just use Firesticks now, running Kodi and various other apps. I don't even use JP1 remotes anymore except on rare occasions.
legzrwheelz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the link, I am on my way to get the kids from school. I will be replying in greater detail later. (editing this post of course). Thank you for taking the time to talk with me, btw.

Edit: Again, I appreciate the link. I downloaded it and after reading the instructions and Documentation, It appears that this is meant for the Control4 protocol, which my house doesn't have. I have TheHomeRemote installed on my phone but think I may be using something different from what you are telling me about. DO you happen to have a link to the app? I have also installed the pc app that is used to customize this app but again, I don't think I am using the right one. I am very impressed with what the app you linked me to can accomplish though. If I can get my phone to interface with this, I will happily use it.

Edit 2: I was very tired when I typed out this message last night and thought I posted it, as a result, I didn't absorb what I read about MCEC correctly as well, I see now that it works over TCP/IP network AS WELL as Control4. I cannot seem to find a Network remote app though and I def cannot figure out how to add it to the app I currently have installed.
legzrwheelz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I finally figured this out...wow...the power of the home remote is phenomenal! I am just curious if there is an alternate place to download hrp files...do you know of any?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: