JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

End of Slingbox on November 9, 2022 Need Help please

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stefano74

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 7:50 am    Post subject: End of Slingbox on November 9, 2022 Need Help please Reply with quote

Hi all,

I don't know if you saw it but the slingbox will disappear: https://www.slingbox.com/discontinued
I am already looking for a replacement solution to be able to change channels on any cable or satellite receiver. (with the correct remote control codes of course)
To see the tv remotely I already use something like that:
https://amzn.to/3qZJtyB
For the change of channels I am looking for something that could be controlled by computer and not with an app on a phone.
If anyone has an idea of ​​the existing material to use or an assembly to do with a raspberry pi or something else...

Thank you Smile
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand you correctly, you want a way to send IR signal from Ethernet/WiFi/Bluetooth. There are a few ways for achieving this, for example the Global Cache, or the Arduino-based "clone". It should also be relatively easy to deploy a Raspberry Pi. Let us know what you think.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can also do this with a Global Cache iTach IP2IR module and theHomeRemote app running on a PC (or phone/tablet). Just make whatever custom remote you want and get the codes from Global Cache or make them from RMDUs using Barf's IRScrutinizer. You would just need to VPN or map ports to your home LAN.

But that Flex looks very cool and just the ticket, no VPN required.
stefano74

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much Barf and Mdavej, I will study all this. I think I'm close to the solution I'm looking for Very Happy
chuliu

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: End of Slingbox on November 9, 2022 Need Help please Reply with quote

stefano74 wrote:
Hi all,

I don't know if you saw it but the slingbox will disappear: https://www.slingbox.com/discontinued
I am already looking for a replacement solution to be able to change channels on any cable or satellite receiver. (with the correct remote control codes of course)
To see the tv remotely I already use something like that:
https://amzn.to/3qZJtyB
For the change of channels I am looking for something that could be controlled by computer and not with an app on a phone.
If anyone has an idea of ​​the existing material to use or an assembly to do with a raspberry pi or something else...

Thank you Smile

May I know what the more benefits are using a piece of software on a pc to control the device, than control them with an app on smartphone?

i, too, have a few hdmi econders, one of them looks the same to yoursand i use rm fm4 on a smartphone app. Works like a charm.

Last edited by chuliu on Sat May 14, 2022 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: End of Slingbox on November 9, 2022 Need Help please Reply with quote

chuliu wrote:

May I know what the more benefits are using a piece of software on a pc to control the device, than control them with an app on smartphone?

If you are into home automation of some sort (e.g. Home Assistant), you want this (and a 24/7 home server). If you just want just sofa-to-tv integration, this is of course overkill.
chuliu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: End of Slingbox on November 9, 2022 Need Help please Reply with quote

Barf wrote:
chuliu wrote:

If you are into home automation of some sort (e.g. Home Assistant), you want this (and a 24/7 home server). If you just want just sofa-to-tv integration, this is of course overkill.

How do this home assistant differs from google home, and apple home?
The broadlink rm4 mini that I bought does have some kind of integration with siri/alexa. Again I haven't figured out what a home automation system does. Therefore, I don't know much except that I was able to "hello google" on a google nest and gave the "turn on the light" command to turn on the mi switch which is named "light". I also am able to make siri turn on the panasonic tv through broadlink rm4 mini. Maybe a home automation system integrate all device into one system? Now if I want to turn on light I need to go the ok google route, while if I want to turn off tv, I need to go hey siri route.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: End of Slingbox on November 9, 2022 Need Help please Reply with quote

chuliu wrote:
How do this home assistant differs from google home, and apple home?

There are tons of resources (e.g. Youtube videos) on this, just google.

Quote:
... I haven't figured out what a home automation system does.

Again, there are tons of internet resources. Basically, a HA system can send commands to ("control") all connected devices (either directly or through (W)LAN), read sensors, and react to events (sunrise/-set, sensor values over/under thresholds. IR signals received, owners bluetooth telephone withing reach,..). So, if the fire sensor triggers, it can play "House burning down" by Jimi Hendrix Wink

Personally, I have been using this system by myself running on a Rapberry Pi 2, together with this firmware running on an Arduino Nano with a TSOP*38. Lately, I have bought a few Alexas, but I don't really like a HA system that depends on the cloud. I plan to use Home Assistant.

If you want to discuss further (please do Very Happy), please open a new thread with a more describing title.
GerryD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:28 am    Post subject: Use my software Reply with quote

https://github.com/GerryDazoo/Slinger
It can stream and control your slingbox IR with a simple web page interface.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Slingbox All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: