JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RCRN04GR EFC programming

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dwd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:30 pm    Post subject: RCRN04GR EFC programming Reply with quote

Thanks to this site I've successfully programmed EFC's for my UEI remote.

Now I want to do the same thing with my RCA universal remote RCRN04GR.

I tried holding down the button I want to program while entering the 5-digit code, but that didn't work. That was just a guess based on the way complete codes are entered by holding down the device key. It is probably a silly guess since it couldn't work to program the number buttons anyway.

Anybody know how to EFC program this remote?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it is a UEI remote that uses UEI setup codes, it lacks any 9xx programming capability according to the manual. That may be why it can't use EFCs.

https://www.rcaaudiovideo.com/docs/common/RCRN04GR/RCRN04GR_OM.pdf
dwd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure the RCA universal is a Universal Electronics? I find no hint of that anywhere else.

I wouldn't expect EFC instructions in any user manual. They aren't in the manual for my EFC programmable remote. Had to find those instructions online. My manual for that remote does have 994 instructions for channel and volume lock.

As I understand it, the EFC codes are the actual numbers transmitted (in base 2) between remote and tv and are thus universal. (extra leading zeros will vary, of course)
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dwd wrote:
Are you sure the RCA universal is a Universal Electronics? I find no hint of that anywhere else.

I wouldn't expect EFC instructions in any user manual. They aren't in the manual for my EFC programmable remote. Had to find those instructions online. My manual for that remote does have 994 instructions for channel and volume lock.

As I understand it, the EFC codes are the actual numbers transmitted (in base 2) between remote and tv and are thus universal. (extra leading zeros will vary, of course)
EFCs are programmed via the 994 key move instruction. The linked manual has no such instruction or any 9xx instructions at all, hence my conclusion. Channel and volume lock are typically 973 and 993 respectively. So it's highly unusual for those to be programmed via the 994 instruction.

The code list below does say "UEI" at the bottom, but it could indeed only mean they licensed just the codes from UEI and did not contract UEI to make the remote. A quick look in the battery bay may solve this mystery.

https://www.rcaaudiovideo.com/docs/common/RCRN04GR/RCRN04GR_OTHER_CL.pdf

Since you found a manual that DOES have 994, there's more hope. But that doesn't explain why the 994 command does not work for the OP. Since you have this remote, have you been able to program EFCs?
dwd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right about the 973, 993. I was just going by memory. I know they would feel giving 994 instructions (and the enormous list of button codes) would be opening a can or worms for tech support.

I tried getting the instructions from Voxx support, but they said it was no longer supported, blah, blah. They referred me to another site. Days later and no reply from that site, which seemed to be another arm of Voxx.

Just out of curiosity I opened my RCRN04GR and found likely programming input connections. There are two rows of 5 (10 total) pressure connection "pads". I call them "pressure" because you would have to maintain slight pressure to maintain connection. They could also be used to surface mount a 10 pin DIP or connector I suppose. Becoming versed in the I/O and other internal language would be another mountain to climb for an outsider like me anyway.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I'm guessing that's some sort of JTAG connector, probably not compatible with our JP1.x interface. However we have seen horizontal 5-pin connectors that we were able to make work with JP1. We've also made pogo-pin adapters for pads like that on other remotes.

The problem is if the 9xx capability (key moves, etc.) isn't built in already, we can't add it, even if we could connect to the remote. This 11 year old model is probably a dead end and not worth the effort. There are current UEI remotes that have far more capabilities that we can already connect to, like the Inteset 422.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: