JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RCA TV in Test/Burn in mode!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Electronics Repair
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carwarr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:59 am    Post subject: RCA TV in Test/Burn in mode!!! Reply with quote

Hope I didn't put this in the wrong forum but seems like as good as any.

So, looks like I messed up my RCA TV trying random EFC codes!

I got this RCA 40" LED TV RLDED4016A-E not too long ago and I learned the codes to one of my JP1 remotes and it uses NEC1 with a device of 0 and sub-device of 127.
I created an upgrade and put it up here in case anyone could use it since I did not see any RCA TV's using that protocol setup on here yet.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26407

Only problem was of course the original remote did not have any discrete ON or OFF or INPUTS, so in my infinite wisdom, I decided to start manually testing all the unused EFC codes. I know... I can hear some of you already groaning "oh no he didn't!"

Anyway, I did find a couple discrete inputs, but kept looking for the ON and OFF discrete EFC.

Well I hit 079 and it looks like it went into a test/Burn-in mode cycling through a full screen of Red then Green, Blue, White, Blue and then back to Red and keeps looping. Problem is I cannot get out of it!

Nothing seems to work to exit. If I unplug the TV, and power it back up, I get the boot screen and it even shows the current input I was on, but then it just starts the colored screens looping again.

The TV has no buttons on it at all to try to hold POWER while powering it up or that sort of thing.

I manually entered every EFC from 000 to 255 hoping to find a code to exit this test mode but nothing worked!

I am sure I have read some stuff here about this sort of thing happening with TV's but cannot seem to find anything now.

Anyone have any suggestions of anything to try?

Thanks for your time.
Mitch

Last edited by Carwarr on Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:32 am; edited 1 time in total
jeajea

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try sending the same the same code but it might make things worse.

I would contact (phone or email) support, explain what the TV is doing and ask how to reset the TV.

I would not mention that I had sent the TV non standard commands.

If the TV is still under warranty they should repair or replace it.
jeajea

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing to try is the TV menu button.
If menu works, it may have a reset or test off option.
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

service menu might help, of course it could make it worse but press the menu button on the remote, then press 1147
Carwarr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeajea wrote:
You could try sending the same the same code but it might make things worse.

I would contact (phone or email) support, explain what the TV is doing and ask how to reset the TV.

I would not mention that I had sent the TV non standard commands.

If the TV is still under warranty they should repair or replace it.

I did try entering the code again but no joy there. No buttons on the remote appear to do anything. TV just keeps color cycling and mocking me!

HamburgerHelper1 wrote:
service menu might help, of course it could make it worse but press the menu button on the remote, then press 1147

I am guessing you mean to press Menu and then the 1 and 1 and 4 and 7 keys on the remote right? That does not exit this mode for me.

I did try to go through all the EFC codes again manually to make sure I did not miss something the first time i did it and it appears if no single key press at least not in that protocol exits it.

Thanks for your suggestions. I am going to try to call RCA now and see if they can help.

Mitch
Carwarr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HamburgerHelper1 wrote:

I found another reset code online.
Press INPUT button and then 2580
I do not have a INPUT button but a SOURCE button but that did not work on my model. Just info in case anyone else could use the info.

Looks like my warranty just ran out a couple of months ago so RCA was not of any help.

I opened up the case to see if I could find a reset button that some units have but no luck with that.

Beginning to look like a new TV is in the cards unless I can figure out some remote code to help. I just cannot believe none of the other EFC codes exit this mode.

Am I correct in that I only need to go from 000 to 254 to try all the codes with the NEC1 protocol?

It also amazes me that this TV has absolutely no buttons on it AT ALL. If you did not have a remote, you would be totally screwed.

Thanks again.
Mitch
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe worth a try:
https://www.diyforums.net/when-i-turn-my-rca-tv-on-it-flashes-colors-like-redgreen-blue...is-there-...-159501.html
jeajea

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for a battery (like on a PC motherboard)
There also might be a couple of pins marked as reset.
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject: RCA TV in Test/Burn in mode!!! Reply with quote

Since I know Phillips has a master remote for their TV
I decided to look for RCA and found

https://www.grainger.com/product/RCA-Master-Remote-Control-Plastic-36C785

or

https://www.anderic.com/product-page/rmc12050-for-rca-master-tvs
Since the anderic note states

NOTE: In order to access the master menu, you must push the SYSTEM button at the bottom left of the remote. No other remotes will work for the master menus.

I know its a shot in the dark but just passing on info
Carwarr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
Maybe worth a try:
https://www.diyforums.net/when-i-turn-my-rca-tv-on-it-flashes-colors-like-redgreen-blue...is-there-...-159501.html

Awesome find! Unfortunately none of the suggestions on there work to restore my TV.

jeajea wrote:
Look for a battery (like on a PC motherboard)
There also might be a couple of pins marked as reset.

I did look for that while I had it open and no battery or even a "super capacitor" that is sometimes used as a battery in some circuits.
And no reset pins found on the PCB.

HamburgerHelper1 wrote:
Since I know Phillips has a master remote for their TV
I decided to look for RCA and found

https://www.grainger.com/product/RCA-Master-Remote-Control-Plastic-36C785

or

https://www.anderic.com/product-page/rmc12050-for-rca-master-tvs
Since the anderic note states

NOTE: In order to access the master menu, you must push the SYSTEM button at the bottom left of the remote. No other remotes will work for the master menus.

I know its a shot in the dark but just passing on info

Interesting find there too! Looking at the original remote that it is a substitute for: RCA CRK17TD1 and what TV's it works on, it looks like that might be for much older RCA TV's. Mine is about 1.5 years old and not on the list of its supported models.

I would gladly purchase it if I thought it might help my TV but I don't think so.

Thanks everyone for all their efforts. I really appreciate it.

Keep the suggestions coming!

Mitch
Carwarr

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just updated the original post with my TV's proper model number of RLDED4016A-E

I guess I had typed it wrong in some of my notes and put that in there. I googled the heck out of it with no help but maybe someone else will see something I missed.

Thanks
Mitch
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant find the user manual for your modal but the -RLDED4016A-H model show controls on the tv they are on the bottm by the power led

http://legacy.curtisint.com/html/CustService/Manuals/INSTRUCTION%20MANUAL%20OF%20MODEL%20RLDED4016A-H.pdf
Carwarr

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HamburgerHelper1 wrote:
I cant find the user manual for your modal but the -RLDED4016A-H model show controls on the tv they are on the bottm by the power led

http://legacy.curtisint.com/html/CustService/Manuals/INSTRUCTION%20MANUAL%20OF%20MODEL%20RLDED4016A-H.pdf

Yea, I saw that manual too. I wish that were the case but mine does not have any buttons on it at all. I have looked several times as I found that incredibly hard to believe every time I look! Who bulds a TV like that!
jeajea

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: unplug it Reply with quote

I would try unplugging it from AC power for at least 24 hours.
Carwarr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: unplug it Reply with quote

jeajea wrote:
I would try unplugging it from AC power for at least 24 hours.

I think I had it unplugged for about 3 days before I tried some other things with no help. I even left it turned on for many hours as some other thing I read somewere said to leave it on and it would revert to normal after 15 minutes... That did not not work Sad
Thanks for the suggestion.
Mitch
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Electronics Repair All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: