JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RCRP05B Extender - DVR Button No Shift
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I'm just thinking outside the box here, and I have absolutely no idea if this will work or not, but I decided to look up which button shift+DVR was clashing with. The problem with button codes of $40 or greater is that they already have the xshift bit turned on, so shift+$42 is the same as xshift+$02. Button code $02 is the SETUP button. I just checked whether the RMIR will let you program a macro to xshift+SETUP and it does, so I'm wondering whether, if you programmed a macro to xshift+SETUP, would it get invoked by doing shift+DVR ?

If that works, it also means that xshift+TV is the same as shift+dev6

Anyone tried this?
tnkrer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
The Robman wrote:
I'm just thinking outside the box here, and I have absolutely no idea if this will work or not, but I decided to look up which button shift+DVR was clashing with. The problem with button codes of $40 or greater is that they already have the xshift bit turned on, so shift+$42 is the same as xshift+$02. Button code $02 is the SETUP button. I just checked whether the RMIR will let you program a macro to xshift+SETUP and it does, so I'm wondering whether, if you programmed a macro to xshift+SETUP, would it get invoked by doing shift+DVR ?

Anyone tried this?

planning to test in this in my next remote upload in next 1-7 days.
tnkrer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tnkrer wrote:
The Robman wrote:
The Robman wrote:

Anyone tried this?

planning to test in this in my next remote upload in next 1-7 days.

So I set up macro for Xshift+setup to what I wanted Shift+DVR to be and then shift DVR did what I needed! Thanks Robman.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In theory we could restrict the use of Xshift on the Setup button and clear a path for shift on the DVR button. It's actually a simple edit to the RDF to do it if you want to give it a try. (remove the restriction on Shift on the DVR and add a restriction on Xshift on Setup)

I haven't though in depth of how the extender would behave given this, but I don't think it would care. It's just adding bits as it shifts/xshifts the keys and then the rest is looking up the key values in the setup area to see what to do when they are pressed.

an interesting thought experiment
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unclemiltie wrote:
In theory we could restrict the use of Xshift on the Setup button and clear a path for shift on the DVR button. It's actually a simple edit to the RDF to do it if you want to give it a try. (remove the restriction on Shift on the DVR and add a restriction on Xshift on Setup)

How are these restrictions coded? I'm in the process of creating an RDF for another remote where the user has discovered that macros on shifted device buttons don't work, so I should restrict them in the RDF.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think THAT would be much harder. I'm only aware of mechanisms that restrict putting ANYTHING on a button. If key moves work but Macros don't, I have no idea how to make that restriction.

I don't remember the syntax off the top of my head but it's something like

Button=$XX:Shift+XShift

which restricts adding things to the shifted and xShifted value of those buttons.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I looked it up in RDF SPec 4 and that's it, however, when I try moving the :Shift+XShift from the DVR button to the Setup button, it doesn't work. The DVR button is still restricted for both Shift and XShift, and Setup is only restricted for Shift. I tried swapping the button codes between TV and DVR, neither of which have the restrictions on them now, and the restrictions in RMIR moved to the TV button, which tends to imply that there is some hard coding in RMIR for buttons with codes of $40 or greater.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may be some other things going on with codes above $3F. A question for the RMIR team at this point.

I looked at the extender code last night and I don't see any reason why you could not "Shift" a $40 code putting it in the Xshfit block. The extender just does an OR of the shift mask ($80) or XSHIFT mask ($C0) and then starts to look up what that key value means in the configuration area. But you'd have to convince the configuration tool (RMIR) to allow you to put something there

Edit: you could try a test and define XShift-Setup as something and then press shift-DVR to see if it hits that macro.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unclemiltie wrote:
Edit: you could try a test and define XShift-Setup as something and then press shift-DVR to see if it hits that macro.

We did that test above and confirmed that it works.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, missed that.

so the extender is working as I would have expected it to.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, now the only challenge is to see if we can make RMIR a little more user friendly by allowing folks to program macros to shift+DVR, rather than asking them to program them to XShift+Setup as a workaround.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham checked into this and has confirmed that there is some old code within RMIR itself that also restricts the use of buttons in an extender where the codes conflict, so at present there isn't a way to allow shift+DVR to be programmed here, so the XShift+Setup workaround is the only way to do it.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob

Sorry for being late to the party, my JP1 work has gone way, way down in the past few years. From a pure extender function I think what you are suggesting will work.

What the extender does is this:

Check to see if the key was a shift or xshift
    if it's a shift or xshift set a flag for the next key press
    [go get the next key

Now when the next key comes along

OR the shift/xshift flags to the current key
    check again to see if the key is shift/xshift (thus shift-shift can be Xshift)
    process the key

So what would happen here is that you define Xshift-Setup as the key you want for Shift-DVR. Key value is $42

You push the shift button, the shift flag is set
you push the DVR button, the shift flag is ORed making the key value $C2

The remote then goes and looks up key value $C2 in the keymove/macro area, finds it (stored by RMIR as Xshift-Setup) and then processes the key
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: