JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

CEC Mode? URC7935
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find some info in this thread: program nvidia shield RC to Nevo C2 Don't get hung up that the discussion is about the Nevo C2. It all could apply to any remote.

In that thread, user xnappo talks about using CEC with the Nvidia Shield and his TV.

The alternative is to buy a FLIRC, plug it into the Nvidia Shield and control the Shield with IR commands. Either method should work.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OPs question wasn't about CEC itself, he was asking about the misleadingly named "CEC Mode" in the URC-7935 Streaming remote. All the mode does is switch the arrow buttons from the streaming box to the TV, the assumption being that the TV is controlling the streaming box using CEC.
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think certain Nvidia Shields don't have IR, so the OP was hoping to use the TV to control NS by IR. IR from the remote to the TV, then Hdmi CEC signal over Hdmi cable to the NS?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My assumption is, the OP already has his TV controlling his Nvidia, he was only asking about enabling CEC mode in the 7935.
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this 'CEC mode' is basically like volume punch through for the directional controls...
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:

In the urc-7935 pamphlet, there is section D for programming Roku tv's, completely different way of progamming the remote then entering preprogrammed codes. Anyways they have three different key combinations for different Roku tv brands. Even though TCL & Insignia respond to the same code set, they each have different key strokes. Using the one for TCL the above buttons are correct, Netflix, Vudu, Hulu, and Youtube. Using the Insignia directions, the Netflix and Hulu are correct, but the vudu key brings up Slingtv, and Youtube is Google Play.
TiceRex

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have this remote (on the shelf, because it was not as useful as I thought). I have two questions.

1. Why is this thread in the Non-JP1 section? This remote is clearly a JP1 device.

2. Is there any way to put this CEC mode keystrokes (long press TV_Power+A) on any of the N, A, H, YT buttons? This way we could simulate the behaviour of the missing device selection key.
In other words: is it possible to change the settings on the RMIR General tab by the remote itself (without RMIR)? I know, the TV_Power+A does it already, but that's not that comfortable.

On the other hand, I think it was a very silly design idea to put this CEC mode on TV_Power button, as it switches off the TV immediately. Sad
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiceRex wrote:
1. Why is this thread in the Non-JP1 section? This remote is clearly a JP1 device.

Because the user asking the original question is not a JP1 user. The choice of the non-JP1 forum means that either the user does not have JP1, or the question is about a non-JP1 remote or subject.

TiceRex wrote:
2. Is there any way to put this CEC mode keystrokes (long press TV_Power+A) on any of the N, A, H, YT buttons? This way we could simulate the behaviour of the missing device selection key.
In other words: is it possible to change the settings on the RMIR General tab by the remote itself (without RMIR)? I know, the TV_Power+A does it already, but that's not that comfortable.

On the other hand, I think it was a very silly design idea to put this CEC mode on TV_Power button, as it switches off the TV immediately. Sad

CEC mode isn't on the TV POWER button, you have to hold TV POWER and "A" simultaneously as that is how this remote simulates the traditional SETUP button, so if you press these 2 buttons simultaneously neither of them will send their normal signals.

CEC mode just switches how the arrow buttons work.

But I understand your question, what you're really asking for is a Device Multiplexor, but we don't have one for this remote.
TiceRex

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
if you press these 2 buttons simultaneously neither of them will send their normal signals

Actually, you can't be fast enough to push and release them really the same time. I've tried it several times, the TV has been switched off almost every time.

One solution could be to unassign the TV_Power button. I'm not sure if it can be done with a device upgrade, but I will try. But it's still not that comfortable to switch CEC mode on/off every time.

I bought this remote to control a TV (attached to cable network, not just a monitor) and a media player. So I would need just two separate device modes with all the navigation, volume and channel buttons. But because of its limitations I cannot use it at all. Sad
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's a really simple remote, it's basically designed to replace the OEM remote for a single streaming device, which may be a Roku enabled TV, or a TV with a box attached, but the idea is that most of the main buttons will control the streaming device, but you have the option of having the volume buttons control something else. It's not really designed to work a cable box or to be a universal remote.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: