JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

1056B03 Pause Protocol

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cba123

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: 1056B03 Pause Protocol Reply with quote

I am having trouble adding pauses to my device specific macros on my 1056B03 remote.

I am using RMIR from RemoteMaster v2.03 on an old Pentium laptop with 98MB ram running Java6 under Win2000 (it has a parallel port for my old JP1 cable for my older URC-8810B00).

Using RMIR, I downloaded from my 1056B03 remote.
Under the devices tab, I created a new device, which opened the Device Upgrade Editor window.
On the Setup tab, I selected Pause Protocol (Special), with type Cable
On the Functions tab, I set Duration to 250 for name "0"
On the Buttons/Layout tab, I mapped button 0 to function 0
I clicked OK, to close the Device Upgrade Editor window to return back to the RMIR window, and mapped the Unassigned Device Upgrade to VCR.

Under Special Functions tab, I created a new DSM for device TV, Key D
Under keys, I added TV,1,VCR,0,TV,2, and clicked OK

I uploaded to my 1056B03 remote, and when I test the D macro, there is no noticeable pause between sending the TV key 1 and TV key 2 signals. Using duration 250 on VCR button 0 should have had a noticeable delay before TV key 2 was sent.

In the Output tab on the Device Upgrade Editor, there is a REQUIRED Upgrade Protocol Code, but there is no Protocol tab in RMIR for the 1056B03 remote to paste the new protocol (there is a Protocol tab for my older URC-8810B00), so does the Upgrade Protocol Code get added automatically by adding the new Pause Protocol device on the device tab?

User 3FG indicated in an older 2015 posts that the pause protocol does work on the 1056B03 remote, so I am sure I am missing something.

3FG wrote:
BC2 versus BC3:
I'm also comfortable that the Pause executor works, at least on an Atlas 1056B03. Jim, as I mentioned in your other thread, the next version of protocols.ini will handle the duration in units of 1/16th of a second, so the maximum pause time will be about 16 seconds. Here's the new entry:
Code:
Code.MAXQ610=78 FF 01 04 00 00 E8 03 00 80 08 5A 00 00 00 58 FC D0 00
I recommend you change to this entry now so you don't get surprised later.

I found that on the Atlas, assigning the Pause Duration to a normal button works, and assigning it to a shifted button also works provided the shifted button was called from a macro. However, manually pressing the button after pressing Setup does not result in a pause. Pause works in this way regardless of which devices and device types are invoked.

RMIR confuses me while working with Pause. Starting from a reset remote, if I add a Pause device upgrade, assigning the functions to ordinary buttons, then RMIR makes this assignment and also automatically adds keymoves for each assigned function. After uploading to the remote, the Pause function works. If this Pause upgrade is deleted in RMIR, the keymoves are also deleted. The unexpected behavior happens if I download from the remote, and now delete the Pause upgrade. RMIR does not delete the keymoves. With RMIR in this state, adding a Pause upgrade and assigning the buttons does not add keymoves, nor does it change the values in the existing keymoves if some of the Durations were changed. Also, if now the bound key is changed, it may not be reflected in the Segment Editor. I'm not familiar with Pause, so perhaps this is normal, but it seems odd to me.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As well as you described what you did, it's quite possible there's some small detail that you missed or did wrong, and most experts won't be able to tell that just from your description, but they would be able to tell from looking at your RMIR file, so I recommend that you upload it to the Diagnosis Area and then post a link to it here.

As for RMIR, the version that you are using is several versions out of date, so I would recommend downloading the latest version, which is v2.12.8 at the moment. (I'm not saying that it will fix your issue though).
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, he can't update RMIR to the latest version, as recent versions need Java 8 and he has Java 6. He has Win2000 which does not support Java 8.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
Rob, he can't update RMIR to the latest version, as recent versions need Java 8 and he has Java 6. He has Win2000 which does not support Java 8.

Ah, I didn't look at all the info that he posted, good point. We'd still like to see the rmir file though.

And just in case it helps, here's the thread that he's quoting 3FG from:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15980
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your description, cba123, I have tried to understand how you are using the Pause Protocol and think you are using it in the same way that I am in my setup. The intention of the Pause Protocol is that you use it in a key move but I, and I think you also, are creating a device with this as its protocol. For this to work, you need to delete the line

KeyMovesOnly=1

from the entry for Pause Protocol (Special) in protocols.ini. Please give this a try and report back.
cba123

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I retried again last night and got it to work.

I didn't edit anything in the protocols.ini file. I deleted/overwrote the original bad rmir saved test file so I am not sure what was different this time around.

Last night, I started with my original factory 981 reset base image with 1056b03 extender v1.00 installed, and just added the pause protocol (special) device, as per my steps noted in the OP, and tested using just the factory default devices, and it worked; the VCR device key stayed lit for the duration of the pause. Then, I added all my devices back on, one by one, retesting as I went to see that the test pause macro still worked, until it was completely reprogrammed. My final version does not have the pause protocol attached to any device key, and uses a shift-pause keymove used in my DSM macros.

When I had the problem, I already had all my devices, macros, etc already working on the remote, and downloaded that image from the remote before I attempted to add the pause protocol to the remote, but the sequence of steps shouldn't have caused the problems.

With the older parallel port JP1 cable, I never had any problems, and I only started using a FTDI JP1.x cable with the 1056b03 remotes, and it may have been that I was pulling the JP1 cable off the remote too soon after the RMIR upload finished.

Last night, I delayed pulling the cable by a few seconds and noticed that the lights on the FTDI board started flashing again. Previously, I was pulling the cable after the lights stopped flashing. But, now I noticed that during uploads, the lights on my FTDI board flashes for a few seconds, then stops flashing for a few seconds, and then starts flashing again for a few more seconds before stopping a second time.

My earlier uploads to this remote before adding the pause protocol worked, so I didn't think pulling the cable would be the cause, but maybe the pause protocol itself is saved nearer the end of the upload (during the second lights flashing part)?

Anyways, I will chalk this up to user error; either by using a bad/corrupted image as a starting point or was pulling the cable off the remote too quickly after uploading.
cba123

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:

Yep, this laptop is ancient and is kept around only for JP1 purposes. Been using JP1 since it started in Yahoo groups, and pull it out whenever I get a new device that needs to be added to my JP1 remotes.

This laptop only has a Pentium chip, 96MB of RAM, and a 3.2GB hard drive, but it has a parallel port and a single USB1.1 port. This is way less than what any of our smartphones have now!

I used to use Excel for the RM piece on a more modern PC, and I still have IR802 saved on the hard drive, but switched to using RemoteMaster v2.03 with Java 6 installed since around 2015? Fortunately, this version still works.

JP1 rocks!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you still have a lot of older EEPROM based remotes that work with the parallel cable? I see that you're using an FTDI constructed cable now, so why are you still using the old PC? That FTDI cable should work on your latest PC too. I use an FTDI cable on my Lenovo Yoga 730, which is running 64-bit Windows 10 and Java 14.0.2. And I do have plenty of old EEPROM remotes, so I have an EEPROM adapter for those, which means I can use my FTDI cable for them too.
cba123

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Do you still have a lot of older EEPROM based remotes that work with the parallel cable? I see that you're using an FTDI constructed cable now, so why are you still using the old PC? That FTDI cable should work on your latest PC too. I use an FTDI cable on my Lenovo Yoga 730, which is running 64-bit Windows 10 and Java 14.0.2. And I do have plenty of old EEPROM remotes, so I have an EEPROM adapter for those, which means I can use my FTDI cable for them too.

I find no reason to buy an EEPROM adapter when my old cable works and I have a perfectly functioning laptop that still does the job for JP1/JP1.x remotes and would have just gone to the scrapyard.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't suggesting that you buy an adapter, I was asking if you still have EEPROM based remotes. You mentioned using an FTDI cable, which won't work with EEPROM remotes without an adapter, so I assume you use it to program JP1.x remotes, and I was just attempting (and apparently failing) to point out that the FTDI cable will work on the most modern PCs. So, bottom line, while you should keep your old PC around for the EEPROM remotes and the parallel cable, you can use your more modern PC for the FTDI cable with your JP1.x remotes.

Hope that's a little bit more clear this time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: