JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

IR control of Amazon Fire TV stick?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughter received a new Firestick last week, and I was able to plug it in to her TV and try out the IReTV with the new stick. I used the OEM power supply to power both the stick and the IReTV. IReTV worked perfectly with the new Firestick.

That means the problem I was having was due to the age of her "old" (Gen 1) Firestick, her use of the USB port on her TV to power both the stick and the IReTV, or USB debug being enabled on the old stick. I didn't check these things because I didn't have time (I had a few other things to do to finish configuring her remotes.) If anyone is interested in me following up on this, let me know and I'll tinker with the old Firestick a bit the next time I see her.
madbrain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased the Inteset 422-3 remote and learned 26 functions from the nVidia Shield code set.
I posted a device upgrade for it here :
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26137

This allows me to control my Chromecast with Google TV, which is another Android TV box released recently.

One major problem I ran into with the MCE code set is that the IReTV sent a "numeric keypad enter" key, instead of the regular enter key. Some apps such as Hulu were DOA with that. The Button mapper app did not successfully remap "numeric keypad enter" to "enter" even after I used the complex adb process to set special permissions.

The "last" button in this code set causes the IReTV to send an escape keycode via USB. I still have to use the Button mapper app to map the escape key to the Back action. This can be done using the free version of Button mapper.

As far as controlling multiple units in one location, this isn't really possible, at least not if the multiple IReTV are located nearby. Each IReTV will respond to all 4 code sets. You could position IReTVs in different locations and point towards it, but it would be tedious. And when you are doing it from nearly 30ft away as I'm, pretty much impossible.

I think Button mapper is also needed on the Firestick which has the same problem with the back button with the IReTV out of the box.

I wish the IReTV was programmable, so that one could edit the IR codes it responds to, and the keycodes it sends via USB. But I guess that's too much to ask for a $20 product.
madbrain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrMoody wrote:
I missed this thread but for future reference, receiver with HDMI CEC/HDMI Control will operate the Fire Stick with no additional equipment. My Onkyo that just died would do it with additional functions (included in my TX-NR709 upgrade) and the Yamaha I just got does it with no additional fiddling, just enable HDMI Control in the receiver. The transport/menu controls on the original remote work.

That is not correct. You do need additional equipment besides the receiver. Specifically, you also need a display that supports HDMI CEC/HDMI control.
No projector that I know does. The IReTV is a life saver with my Optoma UHD65.
madbrain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
If you want to re-create the setup codes mentioned in the PDF, you can use the following files:

2049 is for the Xbox360
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=13503

4918 is for Nvidia Shield TV models that work with IR
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14747

1272 is Microsoft Windows MCE
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=5532

2000 is the second address for MCE
(use above RMDU file, change device code to 20)

If you end up using the MCE codes, here are all 8 addresses:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=category&cat_id=17&sort_method=file_name&sort_order=ASC&start=24

Thanks. I wish I saw your post earlier. I spent an hour last night learning the 4918 code.
madbrain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pH7_jp1 wrote:
I may be able to supply some information about this, but it is only guessing, since I do not own the inteset IReTV device. I do, however own a FLIRC which does the same thing in is different way. What both of these do is receive a set of IR codes and turn them into a set of USB Keyboard codes. The device being controlled believes that a generic USB keyboard is connected to the USB input and these devices already have the ability to be controlled by a keyboard.

Where things are different, is how the mapping from IR command to keyboard code is defined. The FLIRC, while it comes shipped with a default mapping it can be programmed using an application on Windows. You plug FLIRC into a USB on your computer, aim the sending IR remote at FLIRC and proceed to teach the FLIRC by transmitting the IR command and choosing the key code to send. After this teach/learn process is completed one time, the FLIRC is plugged into the device being controlled. The choice of what protocol, device, sub device, code being sent is completely up to the sending device. You can pick any setup code you want, so long as it doesn't interfere with other devices in your system.

The IReTV - I am guessing here - instead of allowing complete flexibility instead comes with 4 mappings for the 4 devices is supports and that they chose 4 setup codes built into the Inteset remote it expects to be used with. This makes the setup simpler for the user, but removes the flexibility (the usual tradeoff).

The problem in this instance is that apparently the FireTV and Chromcast respond to the same set of keyboard commands. (Another assumption on my part, given I don't own either.) If this truly is the situation, using FLIRC for one device and training the IR to key code mapping would allow you to have both devices in the same room.

Thanks ! I wonder why I'm not getting any email notifications from this forum. Sounds like FLIRC is exactly what I want. I can use one IReTV and any number of FLIRC in the same room. The FlIRC looks like it doesn't come with an extension cable or sticker, though, unlike the IReTV, so it costs more.
Nevertheless, I'm going to order one now so I can use both my Firestick 4K and my Google TV in the same room.
madbrain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Your file looks correct. I've never heard of any issues with older gen sticks. Did you get the Inteset Y cable or some other brand?

I did see one comment on Amazon that USB Debug Mode on the Fire stick must be turned off:
https://intesettech.com/index.php/forum/topic/firetv-usb-port-prevents-iretv-from-connecting/

Here's how it's supposed to connect:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/614ObwwNkEL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
In case you can't get it working, have you tried CEC and your Vizio TV codes?

I would also suggest plugging in a USB keyboard to the Y-cable and seeing if the stick responds to any keys, such as the arrow keys and enter key to navigate the menus.
madbrain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed wrote:
Thanks for the reply, mdavej.

The cables are Inteset, and I've connected everything according to the diagram, except that I'm powering things from the TV's USB port. The Firestick works fine using the OEM Bluetooth remote even when the Inteset cables are connected.

Should I power the devices independent of the TV? Using the TV's USB port means that the power goes off each time the TV is shut off.

I haven't tried CEC; I'm not sure how to do that. I'll check the TV manual and settings on the Firestick. The HDMI port the Firestick is plugged into is marked ARC, so maybe that will work. I've never used CEC controls before. I thought I'd be able to avoid that forever using JP1 remotes. Smile

I actually ran across a post that suggested the cable might not work on old Firestick devices, so I asked my daughter (it's her TV) to buy a new one. Here is that post: https://intesettech.com/index.php/forum/topic/inteset-422-3-not-pairing-with-firestick-and-iretv/?part=1

I'll check the settings on the Firestick to see if USB debugging is enabled and if it is, I'll disable it and try again.

Thanks again for your help. I'll post my findings.

Most likely the TV's USB port only puts out 500 mA and that's not going to be enough for the Firestick + IReTV. Try another power brick, preferably one that's at least 1.5 or 2.4 amps. The only risk you run if it's under current is the device not working as expected. You are already under current with the TV's USB port. You aren't going to damage the hardware. If you have any recent smart phone USB power brick, they would most likely work. Worth a shot to test.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madbrain wrote:
I wonder why I'm not getting any email notifications from this forum.

Forum email is automated email and many ISPs treat automated email as spam, so maybe check with your ISP to see if there is a way to "white list" main from hifi-remote.com
Ed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madbrain wrote:
Ed wrote:
Thanks for the reply, mdavej.

The cables are Inteset, and I've connected everything according to the diagram, except that I'm powering things from the TV's USB port. The Firestick works fine using the OEM Bluetooth remote even when the Inteset cables are connected.

Should I power the devices independent of the TV? Using the TV's USB port means that the power goes off each time the TV is shut off.

I haven't tried CEC; I'm not sure how to do that. I'll check the TV manual and settings on the Firestick. The HDMI port the Firestick is plugged into is marked ARC, so maybe that will work. I've never used CEC controls before. I thought I'd be able to avoid that forever using JP1 remotes. Smile

I actually ran across a post that suggested the cable might not work on old Firestick devices, so I asked my daughter (it's her TV) to buy a new one. Here is that post: https://intesettech.com/index.php/forum/topic/inteset-422-3-not-pairing-with-firestick-and-iretv/?part=1

I'll check the settings on the Firestick to see if USB debugging is enabled and if it is, I'll disable it and try again.

Thanks again for your help. I'll post my findings.

Most likely the TV's USB port only puts out 500 mA and that's not going to be enough for the Firestick + IReTV. Try another power brick, preferably one that's at least 1.5 or 2.4 amps. The only risk you run if it's under current is the device not working as expected. You are already under current with the TV's USB port. You aren't going to damage the hardware. If you have any recent smart phone USB power brick, they would most likely work. Worth a shot to test.

Thanks for the reply, madbrain. If I get some time, I might try to see if I can get the old stick working by using another power brick, or checking the USB debug mode (see above). In the meantime, it's working just fine with the new Firestick. She needed a new one anyway; the old one was very slow.
madbrain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
madbrain wrote:
I wonder why I'm not getting any email notifications from this forum.

Forum email is automated email and many ISPs treat automated email as spam, so maybe check with your ISP to see if there is a way to "white list" main from hifi-remote.com

The weird thing is that I'm getting the notifications very randomly. Sometimes they make it through, others not.
madbrain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madbrain wrote:

Thanks ! I wonder why I'm not getting any email notifications from this forum. Sounds like FLIRC is exactly what I want. I can use one IReTV and any number of FLIRC in the same room. The FlIRC looks like it doesn't come with an extension cable or sticker, though, unlike the IReTV, so it costs more.
Nevertheless, I'm going to order one now so I can use both my Firestick 4K and my Google TV in the same room.

I got the FLIRC earlier tonight and a USB extension cord from Amazon. I programmed the ARRX18G to a dummy Daewoo VCR code. Then, I used the Windows app to program the FLIRC and input the IR commands from the ARRX18G to map them to FireTV buttons. Everything went seamlessly software wise - the only hiccup was having to push the FLIRC firmly into the extension cord for it to work. Not sure if it's a bad tolerance on the cord itself or the FLIRC. Either way, it works. Now just need to tape the FLIRC and all is bliss. I can control both my Fire Stick 4K with the FLIRC, and the Google TV with the IReTV, in the same room.
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it worked for you. I was sure it would. My son-in-law used FLIRC with a Fire TV (the box, not the stick) with the FLIRC plugged in directly in the back of the Fire TV. we used a mirror taped behind that to reflect the IR that was arriving from the front. That worked extremely well, but in your case you really do need that extension cord so the FLIRC can point the direction you need. Hopefully the connection won't cause problems.
madbrain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pH7_jp1 wrote:
Glad to hear it worked for you. I was sure it would. My son-in-law used FLIRC with a Fire TV (the box, not the stick) with the FLIRC plugged in directly in the back of the Fire TV. we used a mirror taped behind that to reflect the IR that was arriving from the front. That worked extremely well, but in your case you really do need that extension cord so the FLIRC can point the direction you need. Hopefully the connection won't cause problems.

Yeah. With the Fire stick 4K, I also needed a USB hub with built-in NIC for the ethernet and FLIRC to work at the same time.

The one I use looks just like this, although it's not the same brand. I bought it from ebay.

https://www.amazon.com/TeckNet-Aluminum-Converter-Ultrabooks-Notebooks/dp/B0178HOTOU/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=usb+3.0+hub+gigabit+nic&qid=1605994223&sr=8-4

I have the FLIRC plugged into the hub.
chuliu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madbrain wrote:
I got mine. It works with the attached device upgrade.

However, I find that I lose the Gigabit ethernet connection to my Fire Stick 4K when I use this. This isn't the fault of this adapter. The problem is that the NIC that comes with the Fire Stick is itself an OTG cable. You would need to use a USB hub in order to connect both the IR adapter and the NIC. However, you would also need a regular USB NIC - not one with a built-in OTG cable.
So far, unfortunately, I have not succeeded in using both the wired NIC and IR receiver at once with my Fire stick 4K.

I bought one of these adapter off amazon and it allows use of ethernet and inteset ir receiver at the same time.

Just plug the inteset ir receiver to one of the slots of the usb hub of the ethernet adapter and it will work.

Search on amazon with the following keyword "Ethernet Adapter Replacement for TV Stick 4K Cube, Google Chromecast and Micro USB OTG Cable HUB with Power"

Hope this helps.
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So newer Fire stick 4k max remote's have discrete channel keys like Roku remote has, Prime, Netflix, Disney+, and Hulu. Is it possible the xbox 360 code has efc's that match these newer commands?

Just trying to help someone:

https://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-remote/thread.cgi?10012,last#last
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: