JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Run out of device keys :(

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monkfish

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:27 am    Post subject: Run out of device keys :( Reply with quote

I have 8 device keys on my OFA Contour 8 remote, but I may need 9. However, one of my devices is a simple 3-way switcher with 3 buttons that uses the NEC1 protocol. Can I incorporate that into an existing device upgrade that also uses the NEC1 protocol? For example:

Switcher protocol: NEC1 ID=005A Device=128 Fixed data=00FE00
Toshi TV protocol: NEC1 ID=005A Device=64 Fixed data=00FD00

Or maybe there is an easier way to do this? Thank you Smile
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did we confirm if this remote supports key moves? And if so, is there a spare button that you could use as the "source" button? If so, do something like this.

Let's assume that your DVD player is on INPUT1 of the switcher and your cable STB is on INPUT2, and let's assume that the RED button is your spare "source" button.

Keymove the INPUT1 button from the switcher to RED in DVD mode.
Keymove the INPUT2 button from the switcher to RED in STB mode.

Now you don't need a device button for the switcher.

If the switcher also has a POWER button, you could program that to a phantom (or shifted) button and include it in whatever macro(s) you use to fire up your system.
Monkfish

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is "key move" the same as "external function" in RemoteMaster? I can't remember.

I am currently using an upgrade for the switcher, but I expect there is one I could use already in the remote. If not...

Would I include/upload the switcher upgrade first and reference that to set up the key move?

I will investigate. Thanks Rob.

There is no power-up for the switcher.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you're new to this JP1 stuff, it's probably best to load your current RMIR file to the Diagnosis Area, then tell me which device is hooked up to each input.
Monkfish

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it sorted. I used Dev8 to store the switcher upgrade and then used the "External Functions" section of RemoteMaster in my Toshiba TV upgrade to point to that switcher upgrade. That did exactly what I wanted, because I had three buttons spare on my Toshiba TV upgrade that I could use to operate the switcher.

It's all starting to come back to me now Wink
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trick for programming things like switchers is to not think of them as stand alone devices, but rather to think of the individual buttons as extensions of other devices. I assume this switcher has 3 inputs and each of those inputs correlate to 3 of the devices that you have programmed onto this remote. This way you only need 1 spare button, and just for the sake of argument let's pretend that the RED button is the spare button. If you program the RED button in each device mode with a keymove for the relevant function from the switcher, you will have created your own INPUT source button.
Monkfish

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I understand the benefit of that, especially as most of the time you want to switch to the device you are controlling. I might do that once I get everything finished up. Thanks Rob.

Thinking about it, I could use that new Live TV button Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: