JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RCRP05B Extender - DVR Button No Shift
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dannyo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: RCRP05B Extender - DVR Button No Shift Reply with quote

In the Macros Tab, the DVR button is not allowed a Shift or XShift assignment (the boxes are greyed.) While the dev4 button allows them. Shouldn't the reverse be true? I'm thinking since the DVR button is real, it should be allowed the Shift options?
I'm not sure but this may be an rdf issue.

[Moderator Note]There is a work around to do this, just assign the macro to XShift+Setup and it will appear on Shift+DVR on the remote itself.
TV Sony Sony KDS-60A3000 (over the air)
Receiver Onkyo HT-R670 (part of HT-S6200 Theater sys)
CD player Sony CDP-C325

My Software:
RemoteMaster v2.04 build 14
RDF's as of 2011-01-14
Images and Maps Version 1.32 as of 2010-12-30
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we use a shift button we set a bit in the keycode. If there is a conflict with the real button numbers, then we can't offer a shifted button on the current keycode.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RCA RDF is correct. As Vicky said, some shifts/xshifts are prohibited on purpose. In this case any button code $40 and up will walk on something else if shifted/xshifted, so it's not allowed (DVR is $42).
dannyo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would DVR $42 try to be if it was shifted or xshifted? i.e. which bits are forced on?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My extender knowledge is pretty limited, but IIRC, shift $42 would be $C2 and xshift would be above the $00-$FF range for buttons ($102). So buttons $00-$3F would be $80-$BF shifted and $C0-$FF xshifted. Other extender buttons use the spare addresses below $80 that aren't in the button maps.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most "normal" keys have hex value from $00-$3F.

When they are shifted, $80 is ORed to them so they end up being $80-$BF

When we write the extenders to do Xshift, we OR $C0 to them so they are $C0-$FF

UEI has occasionally put keys in the $40-$7F block. When you add the shift to it it would then be $C0-$FF so that will overlay an Xshifted key. This is one of the "costs" of Xshift in the extenders.

As for the DVR key at $42, it will be the same as Xshift-Setup ( $C2) so we prohibit the shifting and Xshifting of any of the keys in the $40-$7F range.
dannyo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand. Thank you for tolerating my nosy questions. Somebody must have poked around the hardware quite a bit to figure this all out.

This IR thing is quite a gadget. I almost have all my things going. I decided to delete the pause after power up and just press the button a second time after everything is up as 3FG and andyross mentioned in another thread.
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dannyo wrote:
I understand. Thank you for tolerating my nosy questions. Somebody must have poked around the hardware quite a bit to figure this all out.

This IR thing is quite a gadget. I almost have all my things going. I decided to delete the pause after power up and just press the button a second time after everything is up as 3FG and andyross mentioned in another thread.

I for one appreciate the questions you've asked. I would have probably never thought to ask, but the answers given help me to understand it better. So, thank you for asking. And everyone else thank you for answering.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I understand this stuff quite a bit, I'm standing on the shoulders of giants....

My first extender was a port of Nils' URC-9960B00 extender to the URC-6960 and then the URC-9960B01. I learned a LOT doing that with the help of a lot of people in this forum.

Another project that took up the level of understandings was "re-creating" the Cinema7 extender since the source had long been lost and then adding some of the more modern extender features into that version. (I un-assembled the extender hex, turned it back into commented assembler code and then helped add the new stuff to it. This is where Vickyg became infected with the extender writing disease) That extender, I think, was originally written by John Fine.

Then when I took the plunge to do the first JP1.3 extender I had quite a bit of background in how the old ones worked. This also was done based on excellent work that binky, 3FG, and others have done in understanding the JP1.3 remotes.

And finally, the geniuses who figured out this whole JP1 thing in the first place. The history of that effort is quite an interesting read if you have some time. it's here:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/history.shtml

And don't forget the link to how the whole thing started with someone figuring out that the 15-1994 had a serial EEPROM on it that could be read from the 6-pin port. That is here:

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-remote/thread.cgi?1556

All in all, it's been quite a ride.
dannyo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff, unclemiltie,
I didn't see the history in the Wiki TOC. Unless I missed it maybe a Wikinini would put it into the Wiki for us. Very Happy
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dannyo wrote:
Good stuff, unclemiltie,
I didn't see the history in the Wiki TOC. Unless I missed it maybe a Wikinini would put it into the Wiki for us. Very Happy

Done. http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_History_of_the_JP1_Project
tnkrer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

resurrecting a really old topic, is it possible to somehow use shift+DVR ?

I have used up all the real devices on the remote except DVR and with a new device coming in, I am putting it on DVR. Family is used to doing shif+device to switch to different sources, so I was trying to set shift+DVR .. Can I reassign DVR to be dev4 and then make that work?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't think of any way to make that particular button sequence work. But you do have other options, like long and short press or double press. For example, I use short press of the device buttons for macros and long press for mode switching.

It's a shame that shift+DVR is prohibited, but it must be that way due to how UEI designed the button map. A shifted version of that particular button would interfere with another function.
tnkrer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mdavej. yeah, I was afraid of that. I do have long press for setting up the system for a specific device, but family seemed to prefer shift+device, so that is another way to do the same thing. Well they will need to learn long press Smile

And I am amazed that these old remotes are still going strong!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just thinking outside the box here, and I have absolutely no idea if this will work or not, but I decided to look up which button shift+DVR was clashing with. The problem with button codes of $40 or greater is that they already have the xshift bit turned on, so shift+$42 is the same as xshift+$02. Button code $02 is the SETUP button. I just checked whether the RMIR will let you program a macro to xshift+SETUP and it does, so I'm wondering whether, if you programmed a macro to xshift+SETUP, would it get invoked by doing shift+DVR ?

If that works, it also means that xshift+TV is the same as shift+dev6
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: