JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Got IR and RM working in linux
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xero

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fixed the URL, it requires https now and it located at https://www.xeron.cc/ir_rm_linux/

I should note that I've not been able to actually get IR working with recent wine versions. It just won't work with my parallel port no matter what I try anymore and throws a funny exception error on start. I'm not able to use RMIR with my extender 15-2116/7s so I'm stuck using a windows box to manage those remotes at the moment...RMIR has come a long way though so I'll likely wait for that to support extender stuffs, it seems the wine solution is likely to be completely unnecessary in a matter of time.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xero, please see http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10956

I can't fix RMIR if you don't help me by providing more details about your issues with RMIR and extenders.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
paoleela

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new to RemoteManager. I loaded that zipfile and try to start by rmaster.sh.
But why does it like to have the root password? Using USB should be possible as user too?

EDIT: Ok, I removed that gksudo from the scripts. Since I do not have the JP1 adaptor yet, I can't test communication. But in general my user is able to use USB.

By the way, I'm using RemoteManager with icedtea-7 and it works so far.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

root is needed only if you use the parallel driver. This is a very primitive and silly driver anyhow (bitbanging) so you probably do not want to use it anyhow. Using the serial driver, you may have to assure that your user has read/write access to the serial port in question, typically /dev/ttyS0 or /dev/ttyUSB0. On my Suse Linux, and probably many others, that means entering your user in the dialout group in /etc/groups.

My experience from "free" Java JVMs (icedtea for exampe) is that they work fine, except for having ugly fonts (or possibly selects them differently). A bit like "designed by Alfred Hitchcock..." I recommend at least trying Sun/Oracles JVM in addition.

The standard wrapper rmaster.sh is ... not that good. Below is what I use. Drop in /usr/local/bin, adjust the RMHOME line to the diirectory containing the jar file, link to it with the names remotemaster, rmir, rm,.... You can then start both rm and rmir easily by just typing the names in a command shell, or clicking the links using your favorite file browser Konquerer/Nautilus for example.

Code:
#!/bin/sh

JAVA_HOME=/opt/jdk1.6.0_30
#JAVA=${JAVA_HOME}/bin/java
#JAVA=java

RMHOME=/local/jp1/remotemaster

if [ `basename $0` = "rmir" ] ; then
    RMIR=-ir
else
    RMIR=-rm
fi

if [ $# -eq 1 ] ; then
    if [ `dirname $1` = "." ] ; then
   file=`pwd`/$1
    else
   file=$1
    fi
fi

cd $RMHOME

exec ${JAVA} -Djava.library.path=${RMHOME} -jar ${RMHOME}/RemoteMaster.jar -h ${RMHOME} -properties ${HOME}/.remotemaster.properties ${RMIR} $file
jmcgee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: No Remote Found Reply with quote

I got RMIR up and running on Ubuntu 12.04. I cannot get it to see the remote. No matter what address, auto or fixed it says no remote found. Where to look for a solution to this?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: No Remote Found Reply with quote

jmcgee wrote:
I got RMIR up and running on Ubuntu 12.04. I cannot get it to see the remote. No matter what address, auto or fixed it says no remote found. Where to look for a solution to this?

Are you using the latest development version, RMIR v2.03 Alpha 28? If not, please try it and report again. If that doesn't fix it, what remote are you using, and what interface cable?
jmcgee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using the latest, RemoteMaster v2.03 Alpha 28. Remote is 9910B01. Interface is one I bought from here, I believe a few years ago. DB25 4 conductor ribbon, and 6 pin. Never can remember which direction to put it onto remote, but have tried it both ways.

Maybe this is parallel port, add-in card. Virtual box XP client says it has LPT1: at 378, but neither can it (using latest version) see remote.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Never can remember which direction to put it onto remote, but have tried it both ways.

A long time ago John Fine gave me some advice that has saved me a lot of aggravation over the years. He advised me to mark pin one on all my cables. Back then you could try both ways and it didn't matter. Now some of the Flash remotes can brick if you plug the cable in backwards. If you get your other problems sorted out, be sure and mark pin one on your cable.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry but I can't help further. You need an expert with experience of using Linux with a parallel port, and I have neither. I can tell you that RMIR is supposed to support a parallel port on Linux but I don't know if that has been put to a practical test before.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The parallel driver on Linux sucks big times. If there is a possibility, get a sane JP1 interface instead. If you still want to try the parallel interface, you should be advised that it needs to be run as root -- due to the programming methodology (bitbanging), not for accessing any particular devices.
jmcgee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it working. At least I can now download from remote. I was using add-in parallel port card, realized motherboard had connectors on it. Removed card, brought connectors out to back panel and it works!
DaveM59

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject: I got a parallel card to work in Ubuntu (no Wine) Reply with quote

My motherboard does not have connector pins for a parallel socket, so I had to use an expansion card. After a lot of frustration I finally got it to work with RMIR 2.02. Here's how I did it:

First, enter BIOS setup and disable the onboard parallel port. Even though there is no way to use it, the southbridge for my mobo (Gigabyte GA_MA74GM-S2) has the circuitry and by default it is enabled in BIOS, and recognized/supported by Ubuntu 14.04.

Then, go to http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1233589 and scroll down to post #4 by joecrow. Follow his instructions. Apparently in my case the problem was that the module parport_pc was not loaded into the kernel. (The lp module was already loaded.)

Two notes: first, there is no need to restart cups, since you will not be using the port for printing. Second, the instructions call for editing /etc/modprobe.d with nano, a command line editor. If you have never used one of these you may be more comfortable using gedit or another GUI text editor. Just be sure to run it as root, in other words launch it from the terminal and use sudo.

The card I installed is the Rosewill RC-302.

One big advantage I had was that I knew my RMIR installation was okay. I was able to test it with Tommy Tyler's JP1.2-1.3 USB interface and one of my JP1.2 remotes.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A JP1 EEPROM adapter is a much better solution if you already have a JP1.2 or JP1.3 cable. Then you can forget about parallel ports and add-in cards. At only $10, it's also cheaper than any parallel card.

http://www.diygadget.com/jp1-2-1-3-to-jp1-adapter.html
rem

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A method to test a USB FTDI JP1.x cable using Live Linux Mint
As you will be running from RAM, you will probably need a pc with > 2GB RAM.
Download Linux Mint and make a bootable usb/dvd

Boot the usb/dvd - you will be presented with the Live Linux Mint desktop
Adjust mouse/touchpad to your reqirements
Adjust keyboard layout/locale if needed
Connect to the internet via ethernet or Wifi
Download RMIR
Extract RMIR

Open a Terminal window, navigate to the extracted directory and execute install script
Code:
cd Downloads/RemoteMaster.v2.08build1/
 ./Setup.sh

The setup script will create shortcuts and update permissions, so it requires you to confirm
Code:
Desktop files created and executable permissions set.

To use a USB serial interface with RMIR, you need to be a member of the
dialout group.  Currently you are not a member.  This script can add you
to that group but you will need to give your sudo password.  Do you want
it to add you to that group?

Please answer Y or N. >

Answer Y

Code:
Done.  You will need to log out and log back in again for this change
to take effect.

Setup complete.

This is optional (only needed for Xsight remotes
Code:
 cp -a linux_xsight.rules  /etc/udev/rules.d/

Now Log out of the current session (not quit/shutdown! - use the icon above it - logout leave the session)
Log back in user- 'mint' , passsword- <none>

Connect JP1 cable to remote, then to the pc

Launch RMIR, bottom left LinuxMint 'LM' icon, navigate to Other/RMIR or type 'rmir' in search box
Leave Remote/Interface as autodetect or use JP1.x serial/ then /dev/ttyUSB0
Try download from remote

When the cable works, marvel at the accomplished task and pat yourself in the back
This method of testing bypasses your normal operating system / environment eg installed drivers.
The live session are not automatically stored, so any changes you wish to keep must be copied/stored manually - eg on a usb drive
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: