JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

881x / 891x extender with extra memory only?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
avidgamr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:

Here's how to add a multiplexer:
- Add all 4 Philips devices to your RMIR file
- Go to Special Functions tab, click new, pick RCVR, AUX, check SHIFT, type Multiplex, device type Audio, setup code 1999 (the setup code for your Philips AUX device upgrade).
- Repeat for RCVR, CD SHIFT 1997 and the other remaining Philips devices

To switch to the AUX device, press RCVR then SETUP followed by AUX. Likewise for the CD device, press RCVR, then SETUP followed by CD.

If that doesn't work, I may be missing some required macro steps for the key group assignments. Let me know, and I'll dig back into it.

Okay, I added each device to RMIR (it asked me if I wanted to assign each to a device key, which I did. Was I supposed to or not?

Then I got down to the "type Multiplex" and had to stop as the drop-down box is empty? Nothing to choose from...?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

avidgamr wrote:
AUX *is* supposed to be the RCA DVR, not the Roku.
This statement sounded like you were surprised by this fact:
Quote:
Pressed Aux then Stop. Doesn't work the Roku as the output is for another device (I captured output via IR Widget and can see it's sending the wrong protocol/device/EFC.).
Please clarify the issue with AUX STOP.

Regarding the other issues with the CBL Macro and missing Multiplexer. sounds like you and I are working with different files. Yours has apparently lost all the extender code again. The CBL Macro should be on the Macros tab and the key listed in the leftmost column is CBL. If you go to the Special Functions tab and click the Type dropdown list, it should show 6 items with Multiplex in the middle of the list.

Lastly, NO, you weren't supposed to assign your Philips upgrades to any device.

Please start over using this file that you posted:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25625

If that file doesn't show everything I've been talking about, then you are missing some RDFs and extender code and need to copy the extender RDFs to your RDF folder or re-install RMIR.
avidgamr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was trying to clarify what I was doing that was affecting the remote but didn't type enough to clarify. <sigh> (so I'm an idiot). Yeah, Aux is DVR. Apparently I keep forgetting steps or pressing the wrong buttons, hence why I keep getting frustrated!!
It was like some buttons weren't changing modes when I switch modes.
I activated the extender (TV Power), then pressed something like this:
aux - stop
cbl - stop (wasn't working cbl device but still working aux device for the lower buttons)
vcr stop
cbl stop (was then sending out vcr commands for lower buttons)

Yeah, I somehow must've been once again using the original remote image that didn't have the extender installed, hence why some buttons weren't working as intended? Evil or Very Mad

Anyways, I decided to yet again start fresh and create "new" in RMIR, triple-checking I'm making the correct choices every step of the way and it seems to work fine now.

Anyways the Roku is at least working fine now. It's hard to fully test the remote as that TV is being watched almost 100% of the time so it's difficult to get a chance to do testing...

Back to stereo multiplexer thing:
I decided to check the Macros tab in the remote image I was working with (before getting back to the stereo multiplexer project and discover I *still* have nothing listed in the Macros tab?!?
AHHH! I'm going to scream.

Ok, so when I create a "new" Remote image in RMIR, I obviously have to install the extender at some point later, even though I chose "URC-881x x3 2K (6_80_2x3)". I mistakenly thought it automatically installed the extender since I chose that. <sigh> Another mistake on my part.

Ok, we are now on the same page. (I think?)

Thank you for your patience. You're a saint Exclamation

As for the multiplexer thing, if the original remote ever dies, I think I'll just get a 4 device universal remote and program each mode on a different device and be done. That multiplexer thing is way over my head. I'm having a hard enough time doing simple things (like keeping an extender installed!). Laughing
avidgamr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, this thing is still driving me absolutely insane! Evil or Very Mad
Perhaps you (or anybody!) can help me keep my sanity by telling me what I'm doing wrong? Let's see if I can explain this problem I'm having better:

RMIR file and pics, that I reference below showing what I see, are here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25628

Some buttons in some modes are not changing when I change modes; they are staying with the programming from the previous mode I was just in. It seems to be only be happening to modes with NEC protocols and the previous modes' RCA protocol is overriding it?

My example that pics show:

(not shown in pics is pressing TV then Power to activate extender 1st)

"aux mode (rca dvr).jpg"
shows in aux mode for RCA DVR. Everything is fine here (have VPT set to TV so different ones listed there are correct).

"cbl mode (roku).jpg"
Lower media control buttons (Play, Stop, Rew, etc.) are still set to previous aux (DVR) device and didn't change with the mode when I pressed the CBL button to change to CBL mode (please notice "RCA" instead of "NEC" protocol).

"tv mode (lg tv).jpg"
Again, same problem. Lower media control buttons didn't change from Aux mode to TV mode and still controls the DVR, even though I am in the TV mode now (please notice the "RCA" protocols instead of the NEC protocol again).

"DVD mode (Sony DVD player) after aux mode.jpg"
Is okay, for whatever reason. Only ones that are a different protocol are for VPT (to be expected).

"CD mode (Sony Blu-ray player) after aux mode.jpg"
Again, is okay except for VPT entries.

"vcr mode (is okay).jpg"
Is okay. Only thing different is VPT entries.

"TV after vcr.jpg"
Now the lower media control buttons (Play, Stop, etc.) have not changed to TV and have remained in "VCR" mode (please notice the "RCA" entries instead of what they should be ("NEC")).

"cbl mode (roku) AFTER VCR mode.jpg"
Once again, the lower media control buttons have stayed with the previous mode I was in and didn't change to "CBL" mode.

Help! Please! Sad
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A properly installed extender only needs to be activated once. It'll remain activated until specifically de-activated or uninstalled, even across multiple uploads, and battery removal.

Also the usage pattern for using RMIIR is a bit different from using IR.

With IR you download from the remote, make changes, and then upload again.

With RMIR you only download from the remote before creating your starting .rmir file, after that you always open the saved RMIR, make changes, upload to the remote and save the .rmir.

You should not download from the remote again, except if you are learning signals in order to create a new device upgrade.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed version:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25629

I would have also fixed VPT, but I don't understand what you want.

I can't explain why I can see Macros and you can't. But all I did was add the T_CBL and T_whatever macro steps to each device button's macro to enable the transport keys (play, stop, etc.) in their respective device modes. This is what I was trying to describe in my earlier post.
avidgamr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gfb107 wrote:
A properly installed extender only needs to be activated once. It'll remain activated until specifically de-activated or uninstalled, even across multiple uploads, and battery removal.

Also the usage pattern for using RMIIR is a bit different from using IR.

With IR you download from the remote, make changes, and then upload again.

With RMIR you only download from the remote before creating your starting .rmir file, after that you always open the saved RMIR, make changes, upload to the remote and save the .rmir.

You should not download from the remote again, except if you are learning signals in order to create a new device upgrade.

Thanks for the tips Greg! Did not know that...
Yeah, I started on IR and have used it for several years so this RMIR is all new to me and I'm learning as I go! I've read it's the successor to IR so I'm trying to make the switch...
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
I can't explain why I can see Macros and you can't.

I don't know if this is the reason or not, but I do see that he says in an early post that he is using RMIR v2.03. That is absolutely ancient and I don't think anyone has commented on that. I would suggest that he upgrades to RMIR v2.08, the latest version.
avidgamr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Fixed version:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25629

I would have also fixed VPT, but I don't understand what you want.

I can't explain why I can see Macros and you can't. But all I did was add the T_CBL and T_whatever macro steps to each device button's macro to enable the transport keys (play, stop, etc.) in their respective device modes. This is what I was trying to describe in my earlier post.

Thanks yet again! So I actually did finally see the Macros later but could never figure out how to add the transport macro you were referring to.
Can you please explain how you did it?

Edit: Never mind. Now I see. I never scrolled through the "available keys". duh Laughing

And one more thing if you have the time:

So I still don't understand why I've been having so much trouble; I've started fresh several times and keep having the same problem repeatedly. It seems the transport macro is repeatedly not there despite how many times I've started fresh. Do you have any idea what I'm doing wrong so that I NEVER do it again?

As for the VPT, I need VPT enabled for each device (set for TV) *except* RCVR (obviously since it's a stereo). Can you explain what I'm doing wrong there as well?
I thought I fixed VPT already. Embarassed Laughing I made the (obviously incorrect) assumption that the "V device" under "Other settings" was the VPT setting. <sigh> I guess I have to make a macro for VPT for each device I want it for...? Like this?
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25630

Edit: Alrighty then. I see it changed my VOL - for VPT for Roku to "Home" since it has the same exact EFC. I'm not seeing how to fix this. Perhaps some one else knows?

Last edited by avidgamr on Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:39 am; edited 6 times in total
avidgamr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just like to take the time to thank each and every person who's replied to my thread! It has been MUCH appreciated! Very Happy
This forum has a VERY nice and helpful group of users here! Cool
avidgamr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, this is annoying. NOW what am I doing wrong?
I wanted to do a comparison of a fresh clean RMIR file with the extender
installed with my file and get screenshots for reference for later if I ever have this problem again (to see what mdavej saw) and I see I do already!
This is what was going wrong for me every time:

Open RMIR.
File-New-Remote Image-URC-881x x3 2k (6_80_2x3)
Install extender

When I look at the Macro list, there are no transport entries for some devices... I guess it doesn't automatically add transport for every device and that's just something you have to double-check when you create a new one?

I tried installing an extender to an existing remote image that I opened and the same problem happened... It's no wonder I was going insane. Rolling Eyes The program automatically drives you insane! Laughing
avidgamr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<sigh>
Just noticed yet another problem. Laughing I'm halfway insane now!
Fixed file mdavej uploaded (and my original) doesn't output the correct protocol for the RCVR. It puts out Pioneer instead of RC5/6.
Opened the device editor and it says I must "convert to manual" the protocol settings... I'm lost again and if I was a boxer, I'd be throwing in the towel 'cause I'm getting my butt whooped.... Laughing
avidgamr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
mdavej wrote:
I can't explain why I can see Macros and you can't.

I don't know if this is the reason or not, but I do see that he says in an early post that he is using RMIR v2.03. That is absolutely ancient and I don't think anyone has commented on that. I would suggest that he upgrades to RMIR v2.08, the latest version.

I was using the old version for a reason but upgraded to the mentioned 2.08 build 1. Still see the same exact problems; made no difference. Thanks though.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would call the missing T_ commands in the default macros an oversight or bug. So it's just something you'll have to work around when you start from scratch.

I think the VPT settings on the General tab only apply to "Home Theater" mode (mode you get when you press the Home Theater button). You need to control VPT in each device mode with the V_ command in your macros. For example, if you want RCVR to be the VOL device in CBL (Roku) mode, then the CBL macro on the Macros tab needs to have a V_RCVR step in it.

I think you can safely ignore the protocol warning. That only applies if you want to use the built-in protocol with that ID AND your RCVR upgrade at the same time. You don't care about the built-in one, so just leave it alone.

I replaced your file with my fixed version. I put a V_RCVR command in every Macro. Download it and give it a try (VPT FIXED2):
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25630
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: