JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Delcom JP1 not working in Windows 10 - SOLVED

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmezz13

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Delcom JP1 not working in Windows 10 - SOLVED Reply with quote

It's been a little over a year since I had a need to change the programming on an 8910, but I just fired up RMIR and having trouble finding the remote using my old Delcom USB JP1 cable. The last time I did it I used the instructions in this thread to load the driver and update the GUID.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=100343&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

This method doesn't seem to work any longer. Maybe it was overtaken by a Win10 update. Currently I'm on Ver 1803.

I've noticed in the registry that the symbolic name will not accept the required GUID and uses a class GUID instead at the end of the name. I'm not sure if that's important. I've also tried running in both the 32-bit and 64-bit java runtime. Any suggestions? Is there a new trick with the driver? Do I need a new cable with a different chip (and thus different driver)?
jmezz13

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:57 pm    Post subject: Working Now Reply with quote

Well, I kind of hate when this happens, but it is all working now and I'm not 100% sure how, but I'll give some details in case it helps someone else.

I went back into the registry and deleted the DeviceInterfaceGUID key and then re-created it which put it on the bottom of the list instead of before the symbolic name. Again, I'm not sure if the order is important but the bottom line is that after that the usb port showed up in the interface/Jp1 USB (it wasn't showing up at all prior) menu as:

\??\USB#VID_0FC5&PID_1222#6&1f1e3ad5&0&6#{cafa8e93-7c32-4c27-b088-d8c36aaf4ebf}

which I wasn't getting before. AFter that, I was still seeing the "No Remotes Found" error, so did the pull a battery, hold a button, reset battery. After reconnecting to the USB port, the download proceeded as normal.

Here's another interesting point - the download works using either 32-bit or 64-bit JRE shortcuts which I verified in the About menu. One last thing is that when I load the WinUSB driver the driver details shows the driver location as:

C\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\winusb.sys

but the Events tab shows that winusb.inf_amd64..... was installed which seems contradictory to me but I don't care if I'm confused as long as it works.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmezz13, thank you so much for your help. Without the help you gave me via PM, I never would have gotten this working

Here is a write-up of the procedure with screen shots.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25588

Again thank you!

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice write-up Vicky. Good stuff.

But for what it's worth, I've never had to install any drivers at all on Win 10 for a JP1.3 cable. It's always been plug and play for me. Same story for Win 8 and 8.1.

I also think it's a lot easier to just plug an EEPROM adapter into a JP1.3 cable than deal with the complexities of making an old Delcom work. I know it works best for you because you do a heck of a lot more downloads/uploads than most. I program a lot, but I've never worn out a JP1.3 cable due to read/write cycles.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The process is easy once you see it done. The original instructions were written beyond what I could comprehend.

Those original JP1 remotes are over 15 years old. A casual JP1 user might feel it isn’t worth the cost of a new cable and adaptor. The screen shots should make it doable for any careful jp1er to do.

For me JP1 is an obsession. I am willing to throw money at having EASY to use remote controls. But I’m always afraid that my remote control ROOM is going to be featured on an episode of HOARDERS.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
jmezz13

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Vickyg - that is a good write-up! A lot more detailed than my notes. I'm saving it because as time goes on I'll probably forget how I did it in the first place. Thanks for taking the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: