JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Delcom JP1 USB installation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you've got it sorted out.

But for future reference, VMWare and Oracle Virtual Box run on any 64-bit version of Windows. The idea is to installed on some newer version of Windows then inside the VM run your older OS (Vista, XP, etc.).

I use VMs a lot in my work since we have to support customers still running DOS, NT, XP, Unix, you name it, on our Win 10 laptops. Works great.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first read this I thought this was going to be an expensive option, but it looks like maybe there might be little or no expense for a home user,

My Windows 10 Home computer is a little NUC. It has 32 GB of memory, so it probably so it probaby could pull off some sort of operating system within an operating system.

The whole idea behind getting the NUk is it weighs next to nothing, and I can have a huge monitor at both up North and down South and I don't have to carry a bowling ball up and down the stairs at each end of the trip.

I can't get my head around the concept of having a Virtual machine with different drivers.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
I can't get my head around the concept of having a Virtual machine with different drivers.

It does seem a bit like magic Very Happy . I have Oracle VirtualBox on my cheap Windows 10 Home laptop with 4GB of RAM. The VirtualBox runs 32-bit versions of Windows XP Professional and Ubuntu Linux without any difficulty. It hardly seems slower than I would expect them to run on a dedicated machine. When you start up either of these, VirtualBox gives you the option to capture your serial ports, so you can use your usual cables either with your main OS or your virtual OS at your choice.

Another nice thing is that I have just migrated to this laptop from my Windows 8.1 machine. I was able to copy the virtual machines, complete with their applications and files, from the old to the new computer. No need to reinstall the virtual OS or apps or to copy files separately.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Graham, thanks for chiming in.

After reading your post I looked into Oracle's VirtualBox.

It looks like I could download Oracle's VirtualBox and and extension back for USB 2.0 3.0, I would be able to run RMIR with both my legacy cables, and be back in business?

I get so far out of my comfort zone when I run with you guys, but it has paid off. I never would have dared to do half the stuff I've done, without the handholding I've received here.

I really appreciate the help I've gotten here from everyone, on all topics!

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's not just a question of downloading VirtualBox. You then have to install your old Windows OS on it (unless you can now download VirtualBox with pre-installed OS, which you couldn't when I started using it). But yes, then you should be able to run RMIR with your old drivers and cables, even if they are not supported in Windows 10. There is a learning curve involved, but from my experience it is well worth it. I found all the info I needed for installing XP and Ubuntu into VirtualBox on the web by a Google search without difficulty.
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject: Delcom JP1 USB installation Reply with quote

I was leary to sugest this but anyway.
This process is more involved but it works.
I will not explain all the details but I can use my linux on a bootable
USB thumbdrive. I boot from that and can run RMIR from the thumbdrive
I always have my thumbdrive and FTDI cable with me so i can boot from just about anyones computer to run RMIR
It should also work on a windows PE envirnment but i have not tested it yet
Not to complicate anyones plans but just giving other ways to run RMIR
when you want to program a remote without going through installing Virtual box.
I use this method when i am at someones house that I gave a JP1 remote to
and i forgot my laptop. I use their computer just to boot and program the remote then i am done
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello hamburger. I’m looking for any solution that I can use my legacy cables.

I thought learning how to use a virtualbox might help me do that. I have had terrible luck with the ftdi cables. I suppose I could buy a lifetime supply of them. I do too many uploads because it takes me 100’s of attempts to get a protocol written. I don’t like worrying that my cable may fail at sny moment. My old jp1.2-1.3 cable probably has 100,000 uploads. I replaced it when i ran shredded the ribbon but it still works.

V
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:07 am    Post subject: Delcom JP1 USB installation Reply with quote

I did not want to send you down a more confusing road
If you can make it work with vm use that
Just suggesting one idea
I beleive linux has built in prolific drivers maybe delcom too
My old home built paralel port cable worked in linux no problems
For windows you would install drivers get RMIR working then make a windows PE DVD that can be put on a usb flash drive
I uesed Aomei PE Builder on win 8 then put it on flash drive
This may be a solution for you in the future
But unfortunately you would have to do more reading and testing
VM sounds like a good idea that i will try someday
But i just plugged in a prolific cable into my linux and it works
so it has the drivers in it
Sory i do not want to confuse you so try what you are more comfortable with doing
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old JP1 cables only work for download with RMIR, they don't work for upload, but you can do both with IR.exe
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At one point I played with puppy linux on an old ME machine. I found it to be a difficult learning curve, but it did breathe new life into the old machine.

While I was figuring out how to use it I shadowed the user forum. It was the way they they flamed new users that terrified me. And I thought that was supposed to be the gentlest of the linux groups

Every option is going to push me out of my comfort zone. Hubby’s new computer will arrive tomorrow. Once that is setup I’ll have his old computer. It needs a new hard drive too. I’ve never replaced a hard drive. It looks daunting. I could pay to have it done, but it seems that knowing how to do it would be useful.

Knowing how to set up a virtual machine to use legacy hardware and or legacy software would be huge in my circle. I would love to move my huge tower with its proprietary keyboard from under my desk. I need it for my negative scanner as well as three pieces of useful software that is Not availabe or have lost features in later versions

Having a portable jp1 studio on a stick where you don’t have to install anything on the host computer except maybe change the boot order sounds very appealing too. While I have no trouble bringing my laptop on a “house call, I’d always be prepared if my jp1 studio was in my purse.

The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Physically, replacing a hard drive is fairly easy to do, though the process of getting at it is going to be slightly different on each computer. Once you have a brand new drive in the machine, you want to reboot with a Windows (or other OS) disc in the CD/DVD drive and this will walk you through the steps.

Once it's done installing, you will only have generic drivers for all of your hardware, so next you will want to update all the drivers. If your computer is still how it came from the factory (ie, you haven't replaced the video card, etc), you should be able to use the Service Tag (found on a sticker somewhere) to locate the correct drivers from the OEM support page.

All in all, it's easy to do, but it can take a couple of hours.
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject: Delcom JP1 USB installation Reply with quote

Ok so I tested a prolific usb to serial adapter with my old serial to jp1 cable from diy and both up and downloads worked
I am not sure on other cables. what cable uses the delcom drivers ?
i will look to see if i have one
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Delcom chip was used in the old JP1 usb cable.

New computer arrived, now it seems they have dropped support for our workhorse printer, the ancient HP Laserjet 4. So looks like its off to the store to buy a new printer! Can't have hubbys windows 7 computer till I get him running windows 10.

The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any spare hard drives Vicky? If so, you could take out the hard drive from the Win10 machine and save it, then you could install a new hard drive and install Win7 on it, then you can use the new machine with your old printer, and all of your old JP1 cables.

And if you mess it all up, you can just put the Win10 drive back in, no hard done.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t have any spare drives. Current plan of action is to Create a backup image and restore disk.
Remove old drive. Restore to new ssd card

I think that since I’m running older hardware I can partition the new drive and dual boot between 7 and 10. But I need to do more research.

Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: