JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

OARUSB04G Questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a term for these button-codes that exist in the button maps but for which there are no physical buttons. We call them "phantom buttons".
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
bevhoward

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...want to include in macros. If that's not useful to you, just ignore them.

"Phantom Buttons"

Thanks... Makes sense.

However, I'm currently working to understand macro/activity combinations and wonder if someone could give me an example of a good use of these phantoms?

Quote:
3. Button6e is an example of the above.

That's still a bit confusing.

The two differences between Button6e and the other phantom buttons marked with "*" is that Button6e doesn't have an "*" _and_ it's circled in yellow in the OARUSB04G "layout" tab.

It's obviously different somehow?

Thanks in advance,
Beverly
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bev,

6E is a very unique case that defies logic. My feeling that it is an error in the actual firmware of the remote and can just be treated as a phantom. Perhaps this exchange will shed some light:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=118374#118374

As we said before, * means a button is not in the keymap and would be treated as a keymove if you were to assign a function to it. This is a technical detail that you can safely ignore. It only tells you where in memory this function will reside, something a typical user doesn't need to be concerned about. It was more important in the old days when our remotes had very limited memory. These days we have plenty.

Phantoms are great places to store functions you would only use in macros, but would never press a physical button to use, like discrete power and input codes. For example, you'd probably put power toggle on the Power button. But you typically only use discrete on and off in macros and don't want them to take up valuable physical button space.

Phantoms also good places to store other macros you don't need direct button access to. We use phantoms extensively in extender program because there are simply not enough physical buttons to store everything on.
bevhoward

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For example, you'd probably put power toggle on the Power button. But you typically only use discrete on and off in macros

Thanks... that confirms my conclusions.

Thanks for the "button6e" clarification... now I can sleep tonight.

fwiw, I'm working to better understanding macros/activities and have been working on a draft of questions on that subject for a couple of days that I hope to post later today or tomorrow. Hopefully, it will end up being simply a request for confirmation of my conclusions ;-)

Beverly
bevhoward

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to recreate the situation that "bricked" my OARUSB04G 4000 rmir file.

This rmir file (OARUSB04G4000-ErrorWrite-1.rmir http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25515) creates a Write -1 error when uploading that leaves the remote completely dead... no keys function.

The only option is to copy the _original_ settings.bin file to the remote via a usb file transfer.

The replacement settings.bin file must be specific to the OAR remote, in this case OARUSB04G 4000

I have searched for the mistake, but was unable to find it.

I was experimenting with Macros & key moves when this happened, and though that I had removed everything before the upload that froze the remote.

Beverly Howard
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In RMIR, go to Options - Advanced - Show Segment Editor. Then on the Segment tab, there are a couple of unknown segment types at 1BF28 and 1C0BC. Not sure what they mean, but they could be the culprits as they are not contiguous like they are in the clean bin file below. Plus there is some other data in between them in the clean bin that doesn't show in the segment editor at all. Would need an expert like Mathdon or 3FG to investigate.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25497
bevhoward

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks... will keep looking.

Again, the link in your post is to the settings.bin file for the _non_ OARUSB04G 4000 remote.

The settings.bin file at that location will load and work in the 4000, but it essentially converts the 4000 to a non 4000 remote.

I have posted a copy of the OARUSB04G 4000's settings.bin file which is named settingsOAR-4000.bin in the diagnostic area.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25516

Beverly
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: