JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

discrete power codes for older onkyo
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hyimted

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: discrete power codes for older onkyo Reply with quote

hi all -

i have an onkyo tx-sv646, which is a few years old. i did a search and tried several of the onkyo files, but no luck - the discrete codes didn't seem to work. i also did a search for related threads, but didn't find anything that i could figure out. Smile

so, i guess i can try building one from scratch? but i'm not sure how.

i checked the sticky and it says i have a chance, if i have the following

1. learning jp1 remote: yes, the urc 8811
2. original remote: yep, have that as well.

okay...now what? Wink
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do any of the built in setup codes or upgrades work with other functions Vol+/- etc. If so which ones?
hyimted

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi jon -

it doesn't appear any of the files i downloaded worked.

i tried the onkyo 898, sr510, and ds575 files.

thx!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: discrete power codes for older onkyo Reply with quote

hyimted wrote:
i checked the sticky and it says i have a chance, if i have the following

1. learning jp1 remote: yes, the urc 8811
2. original remote: yep, have that as well.

okay...now what? Wink

Read this...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/help
hyimted

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx rob, i did read that url...heck, i've read it a few times. Smile but i didn't see in the building from scratch section how i could get a discrete code??? sorry if i'm being stupid and missing something obvious...
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you can even start fishing for discrete codes, you need to have a working setup code. You said that none of the built in setup codes work, and none of the files that you've downloaded work, so I gave you that link which tells you how to build a working upgrade.

Once you have a working upgrade, we can talk about discrete codes.
hyimted

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh...i get it rob. my bad. i'll try building that this weekend when i have some time and let ya know. thx!
hyimted

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, i'm working on building the file and have a couple of q's.

1. should my remote ever have the same device #, but more then one sub-device #? in my case, my device = 210, but my sub-devices = 108 & 109. i also noticed that one of my buttons appear to have a totally different device.

2. how do i enter different sub-device info into the km file? i wasn't sure since it appears i only have one spot to enter the device and sub-device (on the SETUP) tab.

this is kinda fun...
hyimted

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah, i should mention, i'm specifically looking for a DISCRETE OFF code.....not sure if that matters or not.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming this is one of the NEC protocols (ie, NEC1 or NEC2). If you have one main device code and multiple sub-device codes, then you should use the NEC1 (or NEC2) Combo protocol.

For the one button that has the different device code, the easiest way to set it up would be to use a keymove. If you tell us what protocol and device code(s) it uses, we can tell you if there is a suitable setup code in your URC-8811. If there isn't, you could create a mini-upgrade then program a keymove against it.

Seeing as how you're finding that 210 and 108/109 are your device codes, I'm surprised none of the files that you downloaded worked because those are common device codes for Onkyo. In fact, I just looked at the first dozen or so Onkyo upgrades in the file section and they all use those codes.
hyimted

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm surprised none of the files that you downloaded worked because those are common device codes for Onkyo
i thought that too. i guess it's possible i somehow didn't upload the file correctly to the 8811, but i dunno. maybe i'll try again tonight.

in any case, i was also wondering ... do i really need to go through all these steps? the only code i need is the power off code. i actually have a mx-500, so i'm just trying to program the discrete codes into it, to create a dedicated off macro.

as always, thx for your help.
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At a minimum you should learn several commands including the power toggle. If you have the latest version of IR, then it should decode those commands for you.

If it doesn't decode them (pretty unlikely) then we will need more commands to determine what IR protocol is being used.

If I had to guess at this point, I think you are making a fundamental error in trying the setup codes and the device upgrades.

To use those upgrades, you must first open IR and download from remote. Then you need to open the device upgrade by "loading" them in KM Master and change the remote to your remote (8811). Then copy and paste the device upgrade into IR. Finally you "upload" that into your remote.

Please review this for screen-shots of that process and what decoded learned commands look like.
hyimted

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx jon.

i don't think my very first step was to download from remote. what am i downloading??? i know for sure that i'm loading the file into km, then copying the stuff to ir using the ADD button, then uploading to remote.

i've done this with other files and it's worked perfectly. anyway, i'm sure i'm just doing something stupid, but i'll double-check. Smile

i did learn quite a few commands off my onkyo remote ... almost all of them. but when i saved my file, then tried to reopen i got some sort of error.

--- edit ---

well, i double-checked and i'm pretty sure i'm doing the process correctly. none of the onkyo files i tried worked. so, i created my own km file from scratch. i was able to get many, but not all, of the buttons programmed onto the 8811 including; power, vol +, vol -, mute, all the various inputs, dimmer, etc. but it was weird ... like some worked no problem, but others just would not carry over - for example, i couldn't get any of the menu buttons (enter, arrow up, etc...) to work.

anyway, i took that info from the 8811, downloaded it to ir, then started filling out a blank km spreadsheet. here's the main info from the SETUP tab.

Remote: URC-881x / 801x / 601x
Device Type: Cable
Setup Code: 2000
Button Codes: OBC
SURR = Select: NO

Protocol Name: NEC1
Main Device: 210
Sub Device: 109
Parm (hex):

Protocol ID: 00 5A
Fixed Data: 20 B4 49

so i guess i've created an upgrade from scratch, but i don't know if it's going to be good enough to figure out that discrete off code???
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Below is a detailed response to you comments, but in the interest of removing as many potential variables from a test, I created a file that you can directly open in IR and upload to your 8810. In this case do NOT download your existing configuration first.

You must use the newest version of IR (5.0 or later).

That file is an upgrade on the AUX device and Play is On and Stop is OFF. The numerals have the discrete AV inputs. Power is also On and shift-Power is Off.

If the power commands DON"T work, turn the receiver On manually and try the AV inputs or any other buttons under AUX and see if it rsponds to any of these commands.

If any commands work, then the explanation below should explain why I think you are having problems.

hyimted wrote:
i don't think my very first step was to download from remote what am i downloading???

In IR, you must first download the existing configuration of the remote. Even if you start from a 981 reset where everything is back to the defaults. Then add devices/protocols made with KM and then "upload "the modified configuration to the remote in IR. Without that step, I don't know what IR would upload, but it may not even know what remote you are using without that step. Usually you get a warning if the signature doesn't match, but I suspect that fundamental issue may be causing problems. So to start over do a 981 reset, download the file, then add the upgrade and then upload to remote.

Keep in mind all JP1 does is read and write to a 2KB EEPROM. It does not read or write unless you do a download or upload command.

Quote:
i know for sure that i'm loading the file into km, then copying the stuff to ir using the ADD button, then uploading to remote.

i've done this with other files and it's worked perfectly. anyway, i'm sure i'm just doing something stupid, but i'll double-check. Smile

Perhaps in some cases it may work, or perhaps you did download the configuration from the remote first since I think that that step is in all the documentation. But this is one of those things that you need to trust me that you DO need to do that step first. Also make sure the remote type in the device upgrade is changed to the 8811 in KM Master AND that the functions are assigned in the buttons tab.

[quote]i did learn quite a few commands off my onkyo remote ... almost all of them. but when i saved my file, then tried to reopen i got some sort of error ... so, i created my own km file from scratch. i was able to get many, but not all, of the buttons programmed onto the 8811 including; power, vol +, vol -, mute, all the various inputs, dimmer, etc. but it was weird ... like some worked no problem, but others just would not carry over - for example, i couldn't get any of the menu buttons (enter, arrow up, etc...) to work... anyway, i took that info from the 8811, downloaded it to ir, then started filling out a blank km spreadsheet. here's the main info from the SETUP tab.

Protocol Name: NEC1
Main Device: 210
Sub Device: 109

This tells me that you Onkyo responds to the same main device code that all other receivers respond to. It is therefore, extremely unlikely that you are correctly loading the device upgrades correctly.
hyimted

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, first and foremost, i want to say "thanks" for helping me out. you've already gone above and beyond ... so i really appreciate it.

i upgraded ir to 5.0 and opened your onkyo test file. the power ON works, but *not* the power OFF. the volume and numeric keys work as well. when i hit the power button, it simply toggles the power state. pressing the OFF button has no effect, regardless of state.

so...any thoughts? and of course, i have another question or two...

Quote:
In IR, you must first download the existing configuration of the remote. Even if you start from a 981 reset where everything is back to the defaults.

what's a 981 reset? i don't see that info in the instruction manual for the 8811. also, the very first time i connected the 8811 to ir, i downloaded the contents and saved the file as "8811 default setting". i did this knowing there was a possibility i could screw up the remote. would this file be similar to doing a 981 reset - which i assume is simply pressing the SET button, typing "981", then pressing the SET button again?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Discrete Codes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: