JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

NEC 2DEV Combo (01 1A) is not compatible with OARUSB04G

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: NEC 2DEV Combo (01 1A) is not compatible with OARUSB04G Reply with quote

Hi all,

I posted my RMIR file here: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25481

I'm trying to migrate the setup I have running on my RCRP05B to my OARUSB04G, while learning how to use the OAR extender 1.04. When I added an upgrade for my AV receiver I got the following message from RMIR:

Quote:
The selected protocol "NEC 2DEV Combo" (01 1A) is not compatible with the selected remote. This upgrade will NOT function correctly. Please choose a different protocol.

Moreover, when I selected the "Devices" tab and tried to edit that device upgrade, the following message appeared:

Quote:
Protocol ID conflicts with a built-in protocol. To use both this and the built-in protocol in device upgrades, this one needs to be given an Alternate PID.

I suspect these issues are related, but I don't know what to do. Neither of these messages appear in RMIR when I apply the exact same upgrade to my RCRP05B.

Thanks for any help.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed, this can be a common problem. The Nec 2Dev Combo is an older version a Nec Combo. The OARUSB04G is a newer remote and will have a newer-better Nec Combo protocol version.

When this happens to me I open two sessions of RemoteMaster, one with the old Nec 2Dev Combo, and the other with the desired remote and find which Nec combo is available.

The next step is the MOST COMMON ERROR amoung JP1 users. Copy the functions over by OBC. The hex and efc codes will be recalculated for the new executor. The hex and efcs will vary from one executor to another. Same goes for the Devices, copy the device data over and let the hex recalculate.

In all the remotes that I'm familiar with, devices in the upgrade area check for protocols in the upgrade area first, then built in protocols second. While built-in devices will only use built in protocols. RMIR will make you change the PID identifier if it detects the PID already exists in the built-in area. I assume this has something to do with all the mathematical gymnastics that it does for a download, but it could be that some of the newer remotes violate that simple rule.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Ed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick and helpful response, Vicky.

I did as you described, only to find multiple combo protocols available with the OARUSB04G Extender 1.04. I'm well out of my comfort zone when it comes to protocols, so rather than choose the wrong one and end up scratching my head, I looked around and found another Onkyo upgrade ("SuperMaster") available that seems to have all the functions I need (and more) plus it uses the "NEC 4DEV Combo" protocol, which is available with the OARUSB04G Extender 1.04 remote, so I'm going to try to use it as I migrate my RCRP05B to the OAR remote. If you think I'm making a mistake, please let me know.

Until now, I hadn't realized that different "JP1" remotes supported different protocols, and that the same upgrade might function on one remote but not another. Now I do!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: