JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sol Republic Master Tracks 1601-30, 1601-32 headphones fix

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Electronics Repair
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Sol Republic Master Tracks 1601-30, 1601-32 headphones fix Reply with quote

We've got a couple of these Sol Republic "over ear" headphones where one of the speakers (aka, "drivers") stopped working. These are expensive headphones that retail for between $150 and $200.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sol-Republic-1601-30-Master-Tracks-Gunmetal/48714064

For the longest time, we didn't know how to open the speaker so that I could re-solder the loose wire, and I did some endless searches on the internet but couldn't find an answer. Then, as I was messing with them, I was able to pop one of them open so I could see how they were assembled. So if you need to know how to repair these headphones, the info is here.

The ear cushion side of the speaker swivels against the base side (the side that attaches to the headband). As you can see in the pics below, there is a male plastic clip on the base side that fits into a female clip on the speaker side, so to open the headphone, you just need to slide something (preferably a plastic putty knife) into the gap between the two sides and pry them apart.

There are two small wires that come out of the speaker side and are soldered to the connector on the base side. In pic #7 below, you can see that, even though the wire is still attached, it isn't properly connected. When I re-soldered the wire, the headphone started working again.

You don't need to disassemble the base side, but I disassembled it anyway so I could take some pics and those are the first few pics below.

kjwarfreak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Robman, i really need help about the headphone of sol republic master track and sadly i really don't understand how to open it up.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kjwarfreak wrote:
Mr. Robman, i really need help about the headphone of sol republic master track and sadly i really don't understand how to open it up.

If you look at the pictures above, you can see that the part that swivels clicks into the part with the cushion. Like, if you look at the pic below, on the left hand side is the cushion part and there are "female" clips on the top and bottom, then on the left is the swivel part and that has "male" clips on the top and bottom. The male clips push into the female clips and that's what holds the assembly together. So, to separate them, you need to slide something between the two halves and then pry them apart. Personally, I used a plastic putty knife so as not to scratch things up, but you could use a screwdriver or something similar if you want.

Make a note that there is a small wire at one end, and that's the end where the cable plugs in, so you don't want to rip that apart. And that is the wire that you will end up needing to re-solder as that's likely the wire that has become disconnected. It probably won't look broken as there is a thread still holding it together, but the connecting wires wrapped around the thread are what broke.

So, swivel the smaller part so that the end with the cable jack in the most closed and the other end is the most open, and then try to insert your knife to separate the two parts.

kjwarfreak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:10 am    Post subject: Sol Republic master track Reply with quote

how to assemble it again? oh, wait..... in order to attached it, just push it like smartphone in order to lock it again? right?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, you got it. Let us know if you get your phones working again.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't reply on the Reddit thread anymore, so I will reply here.
raiden133 wrote:
Mr robman94. Ok I took the base apart from the speaker and the wires are in tact like you said yours were. Ok so how do I know if there is enough wire attached? I guess is how I can word that. I mean dude I've had then 2 years maybe never dropped or anything of the sort. I did see a tiny piece of stray wire lying in the bottom of the casing tho. But it's as you said they are both attached. They are somewhat untwined but Idk man. One has a cover so they aren't touching. I separated them and tried for sound but got nothing. Please help someone

I would suggest that you re-solder the 2 wires and then re-test the headphones. The "wires" are really cotton threads covered in strands of wire, so if the strands have broken but the thread has not, they will appear to still be connected.

raiden133 wrote:
Robman94 Another post on here a guy is saying that it could be loose cable or pin or something around the driver coil. If that's the case is that part in the base or the speaker? For the price of these I've been thoroughly impressed with then for these last 2 years. Screw those beats headphones lol. At least in this price range they are awesome in comparison. I'd hate to think I won't be able to use them anymore

I haven't tried opening up the driver itself so I don't know what's going on inside there, but my money is on the wires being broken as I described above.
justgideontorrefiel_

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Sol Republic Headphone Repair Reply with quote

Hi,
Is there a possibility of you posting a video on youtube or something on how to repair the headphone cup wiring inside it and on how to open the cup?

Thanks.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Sol Republic Headphone Repair Reply with quote

justgideontorrefiel_ wrote:
Hi, is there a possibility of you posting a video on youtube or something on how to repair the headphone cup wiring inside it and on how to open the cup?

Is this still something you want? If so, I'll try and get one of my kids to film me opening the cup. I don't have any sets that need fixing at the moment, but I could go through the motions.
justgideontorrefiel_

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@The Robman, That would be great
narcoleptic

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello @ The Robman following your advice I was able to pop open the 2 sides. I'm wondering now if the side that has the ear part with foam can be separated from the plastic it appears on your pictures that you were able to do this. I have tried and I can't so far separate both. I was hoping you can guide me/us that way I don't break it. Other way is very difficult to get into the tight space to solder the wires. Please advice. Thanks

justgideontorrefiel_

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Sol Republic Headphone Repair Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Hi, is there a possibility of you posting a video on youtube or something on how to repair the headphone cup wiring inside it and on how to open the cup?

Is this still something you want? If so, I'll try and get one of my kids to film me opening the cup. I don't have any sets that need fixing at the moment, but I could go through the motions.

That would be great
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

narcoleptic wrote:
Hello @ The Robman following your advice I was able to pop open the 2 sides. I'm wondering now if the side that has the ear part with foam can be separated from the plastic it appears on your pictures that you were able to do this. I have tried and I can't so far separate both. I was hoping you can guide me/us that way I don't break it. Other way is very difficult to get into the tight space to solder the wires. Please advice. Thanks

Sorry, I didn't notice this post before now. I never did separate the foam, I just soldered in the tight space.

That would be great

Oh wow, you're still waiting for me, sorry about that. I need to see if I can get someone to be my cameraman and make a video.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Electronics Repair All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: