JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Do you guys have a Discord Server?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NicholasLAranda

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Do you guys have a Discord Server? Reply with quote

I think that would be an awesome place to share rapid fire information and if you devise a common request template, like you do here for the forums, then it'll be easy for users to search for info.

Anyways, this site is amazing. I don't even know where to start.

I've identified my remote. I have another remote that I don't know how to identify. I don't know if I can directly, on the remote program Remote A to work as Remote B, or if I need to build/buy my JP1.3 tool. Still need to figure out what software I'll need.

This website is the equivalent to overclocking computers and I just love it. So much technical information, so much customization, so much freedom.

I've been staring at that little 6 pin connector for the past 24 years of my 27 year old life and I finally have figured out what it is.

Thank you so much to who ever started this website, and for everyone else who contributes here.

I literally love all of you.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nicholas and welcome. I take it that you already have at least one JP1 compatible remote (ie, the one with the 6-pin), what is its model number? Assuming it's a newer remote, an FTDI cable is the way to go. No need to build one as you can buy one for about $8.50 shipped on ebay:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16360

You mentioned identifying remotes, are you referring to other JP1 remotes, or to OEM remotes (ie, the ones that came with your devices)?

If it's JP1 remotes, you can either use their model number or, once you have a cable, you can try downloading them to your PC and if it's remote that we've already seen, the program will tell you what it is, otherwise we'll help you get it sorted out.

If you meant OEM remotes, the trick is to have a learning JP1 remote because then you can capture the signals from the OEM remote and use the captured data to build an upgrade for them.

If your JP1 remote doesn't have learning, consider buying an OARUSB04G remote, which can be had for $17 on Amazon. It has learning and is a USB remote that comes with its own cable, so you don't need to buy one.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HNIHM5S/
NicholasLAranda

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is Remote B, I want to have my Remote A function as this remote.

Samsung SoundBar J-Series Remote: https://imgur.com/gallery/X8aGFRp

My Remote A is a 3039 JP1.3 Comcast DVR URC-1067Bx3 (I did 983 and got the blinking lights pattern then searched the site for the remote.

I'll go and check out that USB thing you linked.

I don't see anywhere on my Samsung Remote can have a solder point for a jumper header :/

I don't have any way to capture IR signals either to figure out what the codes are that way.

Any suggestions on how I can extract the IR codes from the Samsung Remote so that I can program them into the Comcast remote?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Samsung remote is what we call an "OEM remote" as it came with your "original equipment" and typically these are not JP1 remotes (though some are).

The way you make a JP1 remote control a new piece of equipment is to add an "upgrade". The upgrade for the Samsung soundbar is here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=12825

The way you capture signals is to use a JP1 learning remote.
NicholasLAranda

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah, so the learning function isn't currently on my comcast remote, but since it's not some hardware that learns, I can essentially flash some new firmware onto my remote that will enable learning "software" functions?

This is dope AF.

So all I need is that USB to 6 wires thing, make sure I plug the correct colors into the correct pins, leave pins 1 and 5 empty, grab some software, load that upgrade file and flash it over (after resetting my remote with 981/982)

Then I can learn, and program my AUX Mode for this soundbar remote?

EDIT: It looks like that file is for an HW-450, while my remote might match that soundbar, the model on my soundbar is HW-J355. Will that still work?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall any Comcast remotes having the learning function, but the OARUSB04G remote that I linked you to does have learning. ("Learning" is the thing where you line the 2 remotes up head-to-head and teach the signals from the OEM remote to the JP1 remote).

All JP1 remotes can be modified using the JP1 software (the RM and RMIR programs) to control devices that are not already programmed into the remote.

Using a JP1 cable, you can add any upgrade to your Comcast remote and assign it to any device button (including the AUX button).

I can't guarantee that the HW-450 upgrade will work your HW-J355, but I would say that it is likely that it will work. If it doesn't, we'd need a way to determine what signals your OEM remote uses, which is where a learning remote comes into play.
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might add that as long as there is an upgrade file that works for your soundbar (as is likely in your case), then you do not even need a learning remote. And a factory reset of your Comcast remote is not necessary.

After you have the FTDI cable that Rob mentioned - download from your Comcast remote into RMIR. Save that file for backup purposes. In RMIR add a new device using the upgrade file that Rob recommended and assign it to the AUX device button. Upload the new configuration to the Comcast remote. Save the RMIR file under a different name as your current configuration.

Test that the Comcast remote controls the soundbar. Any change should be made to the current configuration file in RMIR and uploaded to the Comcast remote again. You really do not want to download from the Comcast remote any more.
NicholasLAranda

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info.

Now, about that discord server
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had never heard of Discord before, how do you think that would help us here?
NicholasLAranda

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of this forum, all the sections, but instant replies.

Discord is a new type of IRC server.

You can have all kinds of channels, categories, bots to handle automated responses like file grabbing.

On the desktop, you can even screen share if someone is having issues with the software or voice chat for assistance that way as well.

There are so many things you can, and I think i would be fun and super helpful for anyone.
yaworski

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with any technology, Discord has its advantages but it also has disadvantages. Everything depends on the specific usage.

I'm not against the idea, but here are some disadvantages I see:

Instant replies require somebody with the knowledge to be there (not counting the bots, as these won't be very helpful). Most people here probably don't have time to sit and wait for somebody to ask a question. They come here in their free time and reply if they see something they can help with.

Having multiple places (forum + discord for example) with answers could make even harder to look for already answered questions and solved problems. You'd need to look in multiple places.

Instead of looking for similar issues on the forum, users could choose to just ask about the same problems all the time on the Discord (well, it already happens on the forum, but asking on Discord is even easier than creating new thread).
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: