JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help with discrete codes for Yamaha receiver

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Help with discrete codes for Yamaha receiver Reply with quote

I'm setting up my Nevo to finally do what I want to do, after having replaced everything in my AV system. (new TV, new DVD, new cable box, new receiver)

So I downloaded a document from Yamaha that has all of the (hundreds) of IR codes listed for the receiver. (RX-A730) and now want to build a few macros that set the input and the DSP mode directly. The document does list my receiver and shows which codes are implemented and not.

In the document I find these setup codes like "7A-5C23" and did some research to find out that "7A" is the hex for the decimal device number and 5C is the hex for the decimal OBC (in JP1 language). Good so far.

Now I have a previous Yamaha working device upgrade estate has AV4 input and I see in that table that 7A-5C23 is the equivalent. That upgrade has device number 122 (7A), subddevice 133 and OBC as 92 (5C). OK, I get where the 122 comes from and the 92, but how do I figure out the sub device? But this works and I can push a button and discretely select AV4.

So I figure I'll wing it since the one that I really want is the Audio 1 input. The Yamaha doc says this is 7A-651A, so if I use 122.133 for the device/sub and then 101 for the OBC I should be good, right? Nope, doesn't work.

Nor do any of the codes for the discrete HDMI input or Audio 2. I've not checked the other AV inputs to see if those work.

So questions:

1: how do you get the sub device out of the Yamaha codes?

2: if these are the wrong codes, does anyone have a list of the HDMI and Audio 1/2 inputs?

Thanks
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,
1. No idea
2. Take a look for instance here - is for my RX-v567 - see rows 46-55:
http://hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=13753
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the different flavors of Yamaha codes and protocols are beyond me. But this file breaks it down pretty well. I think all you are really missing is the protocol variant required.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=13141
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with discrete codes for Yamaha receiver Reply with quote

unclemiltie wrote:
In the document I find these setup codes like "7A-5C23" and did some research to find out that "7A" is the hex for the decimal device number and 5C is the hex for the decimal OBC (in JP1 language). Good so far.

Now I have a previous Yamaha working device upgrade estate has AV4 input and I see in that table that 7A-5C23 is the equivalent. That upgrade has device number 122 (7A), subddevice 133 and OBC as 92 (5C). OK, I get where the 122 comes from and the 92, but how do I figure out the sub device?

122 + 133 = 255, so using 133 is the same as not using a sub-device. For the codes that need a sub-device, I think they would add an additional byte of hex
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave, the link you sent included a spreadsheet that looks at all of the codes and kind of explains how they work, that is if you want to get into the formulas.

What's weird is that some of the 122.133 codes have sub-type of NEC and some have Y1. I just picked the wrong one. Changed that and the discrete input codes work as advertised.
Lurker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with discrete codes for Yamaha receiver Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
122 + 133 = 255, so using 133 is the same as not using a sub-device.

Please explain this statement.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with discrete codes for Yamaha receiver Reply with quote

Lurker wrote:
The Robman wrote:

The original NEC format was:
1. Device code
2. Device code complement
3. OBC
4. OBC complement

Then when they started running out of device codes (as they only had 256 to work with), they re-purposed the 2nd byte and called it a sub-device code, giving them 256*256 possible device code combinations.

And "complement" means 255 minus the original code. So, if the original device code is 0, the complement would be 255, if the device code is 1, the complement is 254, etc and if the device code is 122 the complement is 133.

Or, to put it another way, if you created an upgrade with a device code of 122 and a sub-device code of 133 and were then to capture it with a learning remote, it would show up as a simple NEC signal with a device code of 122 with no sub-device code.
Lurker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with discrete codes for Yamaha receiver Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Lurker wrote:
The Robman wrote:

The original NEC format was:
1. Device code
2. Device code complement
3. OBC
4. OBC complement

Then when they started running out of device codes (as they only had 256 to work with), they re-purposed the 2nd byte and called it a sub-device code, giving them 256*256 possible device code combinations.

And "complement" means 255 minus the original code. So, if the original device code is 0, the complement would be 255, if the device code is 1, the complement is 254, etc and if the device code is 122 the complement is 133.

Or, to put it another way, if you created an upgrade with a device code of 122 and a sub-device code of 133 and were then to capture it with a learning remote, it would show up as a simple NEC signal with a device code of 122 with no sub-device code.

Thank you!! That is very clear and informative.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: