JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

OFA 8910 LG TV upgrade not working
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
radunn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
RaDunn without seeing the files its hard to guess what is going on. It sounds to me like you copied the output page from RM to IR without first changing the remote to the proper model.

Are you running an extender?

Found the *.ir culprit: (Macro)TV;Power, deleted it.

Looking into purchasing the PL2303TA USB Cable USB to TTL Serial Cable Adapter + adapters so 8910 interfaces with RMIR; mine is old....

Again thanks!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If DIY Gadget is still selling the EEPROM adapter thing, you should get that along with the FTDI cable from chip_seller on ebay.
radunn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
If DIY Gadget is still selling the EEPROM adapter thing, you should get that along with the FTDI cable from chip_seller on ebay.

Is the DIY gadget (EEPROM adapter) the 6 pin connector; if so I purchased it with the FTDI cable.

The 1st link (below) copied from another post does not work, is this what I need or the 6 pin connector or are they both the same?

If you need to make it work with older EEPROM based JP1 remotes, use this $10 EEPROM programming adapter:
https://www.diygadget.com/jp1-1-1-1-2-1-3-cables/107-jp1-2-1-3-to-jp1-adapter.html

If you want a 6-pin plug for the end, click here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14952
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's correct. The 6-pin plug is unnecessary as you'll stay plugged into the adapter at all times. May want to get one if you ever get a new remote that doesn't use the adapter.

Just in case you don't realize, you can get an entire new remote including cable which would be a big upgrade from your 8910 for about the same price as a new cable an adapter. The Nevo C2 is 18 device and adds a six page display. No more memorizing cryptic key and macro assignments. You'd have to adjust your usage a little, but the payoff in improved ease of use and ease of programming is worth it.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you found the chip_partner thread:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16360

Yes, DIY changed their URLs and you have the correct URL for the adapter.

The adapter is NOT the same as the 6-hole connector. The connector is just a plastic construct used to connect to the male 6-pin connector. The adapter converts a JP1.x cable into an old fashioned JP1 cable (ie, the type that you need for your URC-8910 remote).

As Dave pointed out, if the URC-8910 is your only remote, or all of your remotes are JP1 remotes, you can keep the adapter on the chip_partner cable permanently and you wouldn't need the female 6-hole connector.

But, if some of your remotes are JP1.x remotes, then the 6-hole connector would be a good idea.

But as Dave also pointed out, you can still get killer deals on JP1-USB remotes on ebay, such as the Nevo C2, which is a fancy color LCD screen remote that can be connected to the PC (and the JP1 software) using a standard USB cable, so no special JP1 cable required. Another JP1-USB remote is the OARUSB04G.

Here's a random example of an ebay listing for the $15 Nevo C2:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/112540756538

And a random listing for a OARUSB04G for $14:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/332453547761

or an Amazon listing for $13:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HNIHM5S/
radunn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:

The adapter is NOT the same as the 6-hole connector. The connector is just a plastic construct used to connect to the male 6-pin connector. The adapter converts a JP1.x cable into an old fashioned JP1 cable (ie, the type that you need for your URC-8910 remote).
The adapter will connect the 8910 to RMIR as JP1? If connected to 6pin connector it will be JP1.x?
The Robman wrote:

As Dave pointed out, if the URC-8910 is your only remote, or all of your remotes are JP1 remotes, you can keep the adapter on the chip_partner cable permanently and you wouldn't need the female 6-hole connector.
But, if some of your remotes are JP1.x remotes, then the 6-hole connector would be a good idea.
I was going to glue the FTDI connectors into the connector; good idea?
The Robman wrote:

But as Dave also pointed out, you can still get killer deals on JP1-USB remotes on ebay, such as the Nevo C2,
I have the Nevo C2 but it's no longer supported. Of the cables I bought what will work with it and what IR software? I prefer the OFA 8910 .

I saved a few NevoC2.rmir files. When I open them I get "unknown remote, the upgrade file you are loading is for the remote Nevo C2, there is no remote with that exact name, please choose the best match from the list below." Again thanks for your time and support. Hope I'm making sense!
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And your 15 year old 8910 is still supported by UEI? The JP1 community went to a hell of a lot of effort to fully support the Nevo.

If I'm understanding correctly, you saved some upgrades from our file section built for the Nevo and are trying to open them with a really old version of Remote Master. Get the latest version then start with a fresh download from the Nevo.

Here's lot's of good info about using Nevo with Remote Master:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php?title=Getting_started_with_Xsight_and_Nevo
http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php?title=JP1_-_Just_How_Easy_Is_It%3F_-_RM-IR_Version#Xsight.2FNevo
radunn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:

If I'm understanding correctly, you saved some upgrades from our file section built for the Nevo and are trying to open them with a really old version of Remote Master. Get the latest version then start with a fresh download from the Nevo.

I'm saving the Nevo links; thanks. Currently I'm using Remote Master v2.05 build 9 and Remote Control Programmer v8.04. I have 3 *.rmir with Nevo as part of the filename these files produce the error from prior post; the remaining *.rmir files open fine in RM v2.05 bld 9.

I'm waiting the arrival of the FTDI cable and jp1.2/1.3 to jp1 adapter (plus the 50pc connectors which I probably don't need at this point) and will study the Nevo links provided then see what gives. Again thanks.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall exactly how RMIR treats the adapter, but who cares, it works and it will still recognize your URC-8910 as a URC-8910.

The Nevo has extensive support in RMIR. Maybe you should start a new thread about your Nevo problems in the new Nevo forum (here at hifi-remote).

Gluing the FTDI connectors together is a fine idea, just position them on a 6-pin first so you're sure of a good fit afterwards.
radunn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:

Gluing the FTDI connectors together is a fine idea, just position them on a 6-pin first so you're sure of a good fit afterwards.
Thanks, the FTDI connectors should NOT be glued to either 6pin connector/adapter; just to themselves?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're only planning on programming the URC-8910, you might as well just connect the individual connectors to the right pins on the adapter and be done with. Maybe even wrap some tape around then to stop it all coming apart.

If you do have a new 6-hole connector, remove the individual covers and slide the metal parts into the new connector.

If going the glue route, yes, just glue the connectors to each other. The idea of positioning them on a spare 6-pin first is to make sure they're all lined up properly as it would suck to have the glue cure and then discover that the new glued connector doesn't fit on a standard 6-pin.

Remember that 2 of the wires don't need to be connected.
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky made a nice video of doing the connector: https://youtu.be/cLYzsh-usTo
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: